Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
The Sky riders aren't particularly good advertisements for Pinarello's are they.

Why didn't Porte roll around on the floor in agony, then surround the ref screaming blue murder demanding the road should be sent off?

SPOILER ALERT! PARIS NICE.

Ha ha, Brailsford's marginal gains obviously don't extend to teaching his riders to descend! It is clear that all the other teams know they can attack Sky downhill and they will invariably crack.

Absolutely superb stuff from Gallopin, not sure he can hold on though. Porte put 1:56 in to him in 2013 up Col d'Eze, I am sure he won't beat him by that much but 36 seconds does not look enough to me. Should be exciting tomorrow.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset

Ha ha, Brailsford's marginal gains obviously don't extend to teaching his riders to descend! It is clear that all the other teams know they can attack Sky downhill and they will invariably crack.

Absolutely superb stuff from Gallopin, not sure he can hold on though. Porte put 1:56 in to him in 2013 up Col d'Eze, I am sure he won't beat him by that much but 36 seconds does not look enough to me. Should be exciting tomorrow.
Poels did ok today though!

I can see gallopin being about 50 seconds down on eze.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Poels did ok today though!

I can see gallopin being about 50 seconds down on eze.

Only just joined the team though, hasn't he. Give him six months and he will be falling off left, right and centre just like his anglo-saxon brethren :lolol:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

There are quite a few riders, at the moment I like, for either no reason at all, or reasons I now can't remember.

Either way, Gallopin is one, Michael K (I'm not even going there) another, G & Stan obviously, Kelderman, Bakelants to name but a few.

Anyhoo back to the point those Sky boys really can't keep upright the moment there's even a hint of moisture in the air.
Wiggins & Froome have cost themselves and the team big time going down hill.

Oh and gotta love all those hairpins.
Shortest way round, out of the saddle every time, cold, wet, proper brutal.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Only just joined the team though, hasn't he. Give him six months and he will be falling off left, right and centre just like his anglo-saxon brethren [emoji38]ol:
Probably...

"now listen wout, enough if your smooth and flowing descents. Brake harder and make jerkier turns... It's how Brad does it and we do pretty much entering he says.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
There are quite a few riders, at the moment I like, for either no reason at all, or reasons I now can't remember.

Either way, Gallopin is one, Michael K (I'm not even going there) another, G & Stan obviously, Kelderman, Bakelants to name but a few.

Anyhoo back to the point those Sky boys really can't keep upright the moment there's even a hint of moisture in the air.
Wiggins & Froome have cost themselves and the team big time going down hill.

Oh and gotta love all those hairpins.
Shortest way round, out of the saddle every time, cold, wet, proper brutal.

Well, our Bouhanni disagreement aside, I'm with you on all those riders you name there SB. Off the top of my head I'd add Wellens, De Gendt, Vanmarcke, Sagan, Tommy V, Rolland, Cyril Gautier and my Cofidis boys Rudy Molard and Nicholas Edet in there too. In fact, the big three are all good for entertainment right now too to be fair.

Anyway, see Edet mixing it up like a boss again today. You know what comes next so I'll spare everyone it this time around, but mark my words :thumbsup:

Sky are quite comical descending. There for the taking on descents for sure, especially when wet. Kwia himself nearly lost it today when gapping Porte on the second to last descent, but he held it whereas almost guaranteed four prominent Sky riders would certainly have hit the deck.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Probably...

"now listen wout, enough if your smooth and flowing descents. Brake harder and make jerkier turns... It's how Brad does it and we do pretty much entering he says.

:lol:

Talking of which... those Vredestein's arrived yet?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Holding fire for now. Will get some use out of the gatorskins for a few weeks the switch over.

I don't think you'll be disappointed when you do get them.

I went out on the Vittoria Diamante Pro's on the Summer bike last night. Was quite apprehensive as the very first time I rode them I got a puncture, although I think that was my thought as it was a ride with the kids and I hadn't bothered checking the pressures before I went. Pumped them up to 130psi last night seeing as the roads were dry and then hoped for the best. Held up well and felt confident on them in the descents but I did have a lot of back wheel slippage on the 17% sections of the final climb when out of the saddle that I rarely get on the Vredestien's. Not sure if that's due to the lighter bike though? Road wasn't wet or icy.

There were two punctures on the club ride, although I;m not sure what tyres they had on.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
I don't think you'll be disappointed when you do get them.

I went out on the Vittoria Diamante Pro's on the Summer bike last night. Was quite apprehensive as the very first time I rode them I got a puncture, although I think that was my thought as it was a ride with the kids and I hadn't bothered checking the pressures before I went. Pumped them up to 130psi last night seeing as the roads were dry and then hoped for the best. Held up well and felt confident on them in the descents but I did have a lot of back wheel slippage on the 17% sections of the final climb when out of the saddle that I rarely get on the Vredestien's. Not sure if that's due to the lighter bike though? Road wasn't wet or icy.

There were two punctures on the club ride, although I;m not sure what tyres they had on.
I'd love something that feels quick but I have to be honest with myself, all my riding is on the commute and there are some sections of ropey cycle path that need a puncture resistant tyre.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I'd love something that feels quick but I have to be honest with myself, all my riding is on the commute and there are some sections of ropey cycle path that need a puncture resistant tyre.

I don't have you're experience of quick tyres and much to compare them to either, but those Vredesteins feel pretty quick to me, and the reviews seem to bare that out too.

I ride them on a cycle path with the kids quite a bit and that has sections containing broken muscle shells (that's where the Vittorias got caught out) and so far they've held up. They have the odd serious knick in them too but still nothing has got through, but I'm pretty meticulous at keeping the pressures high. Probably cue puncture on my next ride on them now :facepalm:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
So then people the top ten off now in the Paris Nice TT. Can Gallopin keep the jersey?

I'm going to say yes, by about 5 seconds. At least that's what I'm hoping for. Failing that I'd be happy if Kwia could pull off something special.

Then it's over to TA for the battle of the climbers. Can Poels keep the jersey?

I'm going to say no because there's too many big guns queuing up behind him. I'd love it if he could though.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
After watching the end of TA, I hope you mojoists are hanging your head in shame. :lolol:

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Unbelievably shit weather for TA again today. It's not showing off their Adriatic resorts as they would have hoped.

All the riders wearing black rain capes makes it impossible to tell who is who. Why don't they get with the times and have team liveried rain capes, complete with riders' numbers?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
All the riders wearing black rain capes makes it impossible to tell who is who. Why don't they get with the times and have team liveried rain capes, complete with riders' numbers?
There's a chin strokingly interesting story about that, from a couple of years ago.

Team A isn't prepared for the weather.
Team A sends a body off to town to buy 'anything', just so long as it's not logoed.
Bloke comes back, having gone into a Primark type shop, with 9 black capes, a fist full of change and no logos.
This induced a serious amount of eye rolling.

Turns out these off the peg, non cycling, civilian, lightweight jackets were the best things the pro's had ever worn.

Word spread through the peloton and within weeks sponsors names were being stuck on Primark type clothing.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
There's a chin strokingly interesting story about that, from a couple of years ago.

Team A sends a body off to town to buy 'anything', just so long as it's not logoed.
Bloke comes back, having gone into a Primark type shop, with 9 black capes, a fist full of change and no logos.

Turns out these off the peg, non cycling, civilian, lightweight jackets were the best things the pro's had ever worn.

Word spread through the peloton and within weeks sponsors names were being stuck on Primark type clothing.

Did the Primark item ever get publicly identified?

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset

Aren't they all just plain black castelli gabba jerseys? That's what I heard, hence the short sleeved Jersey style rather than gilet or full sleeve capes.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Did the Primark item ever get publicly identified?
No chance.

I don't know which of continental high street chains it was, but it was reported as being at the 'budget' end of the scale.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here