Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
These are the ones that I have used for the last two years. They work very well.

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/endura/road-overshoes-ec011695

All dressed up in my Lycra this morning, and then down came the rain. I bottled it. So kudos to you, Moto!

Thanks PM, I'll give them a look over. All reviews I've seen so far of other ones have been very mixed, regarding how waterproof they are. A brief look at that link looks much more encouraging :thumbsup:

A part of my (very short) commute has water running like a stream down the road as soon as it rains. All I want is dry feet, rather than taking in spare socks and drying out my shoes as I have been doing. Warmth is not an issue, just being dry will mean I'll be warm enough.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
What overshoes you got Moto? I'm now in a position again to commute a possible 3 days a week on my bike and I'm determined to do that come rain or shine (whereas normally I'd try to avoid the rain).

Any overshoe recommendations from the geeks are appreciated, but think budget and enough to keep the wet out on short rides. Nothing super duper and mega expensive please. All the reviews I've read have been very mixed bag.

Btw Moto, nice work again on yet another ride

I use these.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
What overshoes you got Moto? I'm now in a position again to commute a possible 3 days a week on my bike and I'm determined to do that come rain or shine (whereas normally I'd try to avoid the rain).

Any overshoe recommendations from the geeks are appreciated, but think budget and enough to keep the wet out on short rides. Nothing super duper and mega expensive please. All the reviews I've read have been very mixed bag.

Btw Moto, nice work again on yet another ride :thumbsup:
image.jpg

I use these.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I too have Endura neoprene overshoes.

Back in the day BG (Before Geek) I bought these, thinking they were winter overshoes:-

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-windproof-overshoe-1/

They aren't, hence then buying the Endura's.

But all these years later I've finally worked out they are very good Autumn/Spring overshoes.
I've been wearing them since September and they are very good in taking the 'edge' off, as we moved away from Summer.

Last edited:

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
I got Shimano thinking they'd fit best on my Shimano shoes. £25 Wiggle. Having vents on the bottom the shoes is asking for trouble in the wet. My mate said his overshoes did not keep the water out this morning. When I wore mine before, no problem. Well apart from getting them on and off.

Wet is in the mind. As I've said before, it it is raining before I leave the house, its off putting. Get wet when out, occupational hazard.

Shoes in the airing cupboard. Ticking time bomb until Mrs M finds them. :wrong:

Thanks for the well done chaps. I don't deserve them. Well, maybe I do for the climbing PRs in the wet. :blush:

Hope we get a better start in 2015. I feel I've got a head of steam building fitness wise.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
I got Shimano thinking they'd fit best on my Shimano shoes. £25 Wiggle. Having vents on the bottom the shoes is asking for trouble in the wet. My mate said his overshoes did not keep the water out this morning. When I wore mine before, no problem. Well apart from getting them on and off.

Wet is in the mind. As I've said before, it it is raining before I leave the house, its off putting. Get wet when out, occupational hazard.

Shoes in the airing cupboard. Ticking time bomb until Mrs M finds them. :wrong:

Thanks for the well done chaps. I don't deserve them. Well, maybe I do for the climbing PRs in the wet. :blush:

Hope we get a better start in 2015. I feel I've got a head of steam building fitness wise.

I stick electrical tape over the holes. :D

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I have cellotape across my vents.

I think cycling in the wet is more mental than physical.
It certainly helps having a buddy, esp if it's one that neither of you wish to wimp out in front of the other.
There's certainly an 'actually that wasn't too bad' feeling afterwards.

My main problem so far this year has been poor route planning.

I keep finding myself on roads that don't seem to have been driven down in weeks.
Fantastic in the summer, terrible when they are covered in wet leaves, stones and hidden pot holes.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
That Carter's Hill looks pretty nasty, top work [MENTION=3858]Motogull[/MENTION] getting a PB going up it on a grotty day.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
That Carter's Hill looks pretty nasty, top work [MENTION=3858]Motogull[/MENTION] getting a PB going up it on a grotty day.

Cheers SB. Its a proper work out (with a nice pub at the bottom.)

As far as my manor goes:

Category FC - Yorks

Category B'stard - Vigo, Carter's, Warren (Bluebell Hill)

Category Cowson - Kidds, Ide

The rest.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Cheers SB. Its a proper work out (with a nice pub at the bottom.)

As far as my manor goes:

Category FC - Yorks

Category B'stard - Vigo, Carter's, Warren (Bluebell Hill)

Category Cowson - Kidds, Ide

The rest.
I'm really lucky, as [MENTION=22214]banjo[/MENTION] will testify I have a roundabout high point 7 miles away, just north of Arundel.
It has 4 climbs going up to it, and all 4 are very obviously different grades.

To carry on a conversation we were having a little while ago, about really testing (stooopid) climbs.

I've been concentrating on the toughest (Bury) of the 4 climbs up to Whiteways, something I've usually resisted, as said, there's always options when approaching that roundabout.
But sure enough I've been gradually dropping my PB.

Another popular climb is Duncton, further along from Goodwood, just a few miles away.
It's similar to Bury but without the extra 'edge'.
It's not in a great place for a normal ride, therefore I've only been up it 3 times all year.
The most recent being Thursdays hilly ride, previously I was there back in July. (Bear with me I'm getting to the point! :lol:)

I was amazed to learn I'd gone up Duncton a full 90 seconds quicker than my previous record back in July.
A fact I put solely down to the ball breaking, tourettes inducing, painful slogs up Bury Hill in between times.

These crappy, pointless, soul destroying climbs definitely have a greater good, they make all the others just that little bit easier.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
These crappy, pointless, soul destroying climbs definitely have a greater good, they make all the others just that little bit easier.

Yup.

Genuinely surprised to see I PRed a hill the same ride I did well up Carter's beforehand. Mind you, by then, I'd been told we were swerving Vigo which compelled me to give it more beans.

Ide is a good training hill as well as a good challenge.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
I'm really lucky, as [MENTION=22214]banjo[/MENTION] will testify I have a roundabout high point 7 miles away, just north of Arundel.
It has 4 climbs going up to it, and all 4 are very obviously different grades.

To carry on a conversation we were having a little while ago, about really testing (stooopid) climbs.

I've been concentrating on the toughest (Bury) of the 4 climbs up to Whiteways, something I've usually resisted, as said, there's always options when approaching that roundabout.
But sure enough I've been gradually dropping my PB.

Another popular climb is Duncton, further along from Goodwood, just a few miles away.
It's similar to Bury but without the extra 'edge'.
It's not in a great place for a normal ride, therefore I've only been up it 3 times all year.
The most recent being Thursdays hilly ride, previously I was there back in July. (Bear with me I'm getting to the point! :lol:)

I was amazed to learn I'd gone up Duncton a full 90 seconds quicker than my previous record back in July.
A fact I put solely down to the ball breaking, tourettes inducing, painful slogs up Bury Hill in between times.

Yep can confirm, but not sure big hills make you lucky. :eek:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here