Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I took up a subscription offer of 'Cyclist' which was free for first issue, £1 for the second*. I cancelled it though as I can't really afford magazine subscriptions but a really nicely put together magazine I must say with some really nice journalism in it and some great photography.

http://cyclistmag.co.uk/freeissue/?_ms=59&_msai=haute

*I realise I've actually paid for it through the information I've given up, but there you go...

I love Cyclist. Great read. And, for the designer in me, it looks cracking. Great photography.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I love Cyclist. Great read. And, for the designer in me, it looks cracking. Great photography.

I also love Cyclist. And Rouleur. It costs a fortune to have both on subscription, and I never get the chance to read as much of them as I'd like, but still...

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It's a shame he got clipped.
It would have been the coolest thing ever if he'd just carried on riding.

Today I rode in my 'third kit'.
I definitely need some new clothing, esp shorts. It's a shame £80 would seem to be the norm.

I appear to have missed an entire financial jump up in prices.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
It's a shame he got clipped.
It would have been the coolest thing ever if he'd just carried on riding.

Today I rode in my 'third kit'.
I definitely need some new clothing, esp shorts. It's a shame £80 would seem to be the norm.

I appear to have missed an entire financial jump up in prices.

Interesting you should talk about new clothing. With a Planet X on the way, at last, I probably need to get some proper gear. Though I don't want to look too much of a full bike kit wanker! (You'd probably say this is obligatory Stat). I did recently get a blue Lidl cycling jersey for circa £5.99 and it's excellent. Any other tips would be welcome.

Guess I'd better buy some pedals and shoes too :p

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
If you want to look like your Grandma's octogenarian boyfriend, then no.

:lol: So I'm obliged to buy some that look like something out of the x-files?
bont-a-one-cycling-shoes-black-white-1.jpg

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

FFS Notters, you've just bought a full carbon road bike, wtf are those shoes all about? Forget SPD's and all that 'but you can walk in them' crap, you've bought a precision road bike engineered for the road and for speed. You want a nicely spread connection with your pedal for longer rides, SPD's do give you a hot spot on longer rides (believe me I know).

You need a decent pair of road shoes and a peddle system like Shimano SPD-L or Look Keo's. These on a budget are pretty good: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-r10-road-cycling-shoe/?lang=en&curr=GBP&dest=1&utm_source=pla&utm_medium=base&utm_campaign=uk&kpid=5360438338

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
FFS Notters, you've just bought a full carbon road bike, wtf are those shoes all about? Forget SPD's and all that 'but you can walk in them' crap, you've bought a precision road bike engineered for the road and for speed. You want a nicely spread connection with your pedal for longer rides, SPD's do give you a hot spot on longer rides (believe me I know).

You need a decent pair of road shoes and a peddle system like Shimano SPD-L or Look Keo's. These on a budget are pretty good: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-r10-road-cycling-shoe/?lang=en&curr=GBP&dest=1&utm_source=pla&utm_medium=base&utm_campaign=uk&kpid=5360438338

To be fair, those were the ones I was actually looking at. Thanks.

**** me you lot are funny.

I was planning on getting Shimano SP-R 540 pedals. Or is there something wrong with them too?!

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
[/B]To be fair, those were the ones I was actually looking at. Thanks.

**** me you lot are funny.

I was planning on getting Shimano SP-R 540 pedals. Or is there something wrong with them too?!

I think they are the same as my pedals, I've got no complaints but did take a bit of getting used to.

btw it's not called the geeks thread for nothing! :lolol:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Interesting you should talk about new clothing. With a Planet X on the way, at last, I probably need to get some proper gear. Though I don't want to look too much of a full bike kit wanker! (You'd probably say this is obligatory Stat). I did recently get a blue Lidl cycling jersey for circa £5.99 and it's excellent. Any other tips would be welcome.

Guess I'd better buy some pedals and shoes too :p

Millions upon millions of pounds have gone into producing the right kit for cycling.
As you might have guessed 'making do' just isn't an option.

Full bike kit wanker doesn't exist, in fact there's only 2 ways to get that moniker:-
- Not wearing proper kit.
- Wearing proper TEAM kit.

I'm somewhat loathed to rate a £5.99 jersey.

I like the 'do it once, do it properly' approach to kit, esp shoes and pedals.
I just guess now I need to be a little more proactive around sales.

RE shoes get at least a full size bigger than you actually are.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005

He knows. That's all you need to know.

I've got them pedals too. Wish they were double sided but for the price, job's a good 'un. Buy your first pair of shoes in a shop, then you know your size. After that, you can go online in confidence. My shoes are my normal size, so SB's steer ain't necessarily for all.

Keep an eye on sale stuff at Prendas [MENTION=1320]Notters[/MENTION]. You can't go wrong with retro. Good, groovy kit at decent prices.

JoePrecious

Mar 3, 2009
My Planet X TT frame has arrived and as expected it is a thing of beauty!

However, I've never built a bike before - I took one look at the supplied headset in its packet and decided I need to investigate this a bit further.

One slight issue I've realised is that it has a BB30 bottom bracket - stupidly hadn't realised this wouldn't work with my current Shimano BB and chainset. I've noticed that there is a BB30 to Shimano converter set available - does anyone have any experience of this? In the short run it will be much cheaper than getting a new chainset that is BB30 compatible.

The other issue with a new chainset is that I'll be running 8 speed Shimano at the back to start and current chainsets all seem to be 9 or 10 speed. However, a bit of searching seems to imply that it should be fine as long as you get the right chain for it.

It's going to be an educational winter!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here