Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Our Coombes Rd times are becoming very aligned…..this could be a battle royale….
They were until one blabbermouth actually pointed it was now a 'race' :facepalm:

I was looking at all our times when IL showed me how too.
Clearly my chimp wasn't too happy being midtable, and now he's having an ironic snigger about me still not being able to PB across the board from Lancing to Steyning.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
They were until one blabbermouth actually pointed it was now a 'race' :facepalm:

I was looking at all our times when IL showed me how too.
Clearly my chimp wasn't too happy being midtable, and now he's having an ironic snigger about me still not being able to PB across the board from Lancing to Steyning.

Don't worry, I was checking even before you mentioned it! :thumbsup:

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
When you click on a segment, whether on one of your activities or somebody else's, there is a small menu to the top right hand side of the list of times which starts off as saying 'overall'. If you click on this, instead of seeing everyone that has done the segment, you can select to see only people you follow, or only riders in a club or group you're in.

Thanks, you appear to have done it nearly two minutes quicker than me. And SB doesn't seem to have done it at all.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Oh yeah. I was looking at a different segment. I'm within a minute!
Oh and Pogue, those tyres.
Not only are the florescent!! but they are bloody good.

I'm going to have a massive accident with them soon, because I'm really throwing the bike around, and they are loving it.
It's only a matter of time before it goes horribly wrong, but until then they are definitely the best tyres I've ridden on.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Oh and Pogue, those tyres.
Not only are the florescent!! but they are bloody good.

I'm going to have a massive accident with them soon, because I'm really throwing the bike around, and they are loving it.
It's only a matter of time before it goes horribly wrong, but until then they are definitely the best tyres I've ridden on.

Great stuff.

I haven't got them on my bike at the moment -Sportpursuit had an excellent deal on Conti 4000s. But your post reminds me why I love them, and I will be putting an order in soon. :smile:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Great stuff.

I haven't got them on my bike at the moment -Sportpursuit had an excellent deal on Conti 4000s. But your post reminds me why I love them, and I will be putting an order in soon. :smile:

Which tyres are you talking about?

My Conti 4000's are on the way out. Third puncture this week, all on the rear, and on close inspection the tyre is looking tired with lots of gashes, slashes, slits and slots.

Might have to stick my 25mm gatoskins on in August, normally wait as late as possible...

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Which tyres are you talking about?

My Conti 4000's are on the way out. Third puncture this week, all on the rear, and on close inspection the tyre is looking tired with lots of gashes, slashes, slits and slots.

Might have to stick my 25mm gatoskins on in August, normally wait as late as possible...
Vittoria Rubino's.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

Very nice!

Can they perhaps stick Carlton Kirby under the purple one each night to calm him down a bit before his next bit of commentary? Done my head right in with his dramatics at Eneco Tour today. He's fast becoming unlistenable for me.

Which leads me nicely into a heads up for the last three days of Eneco Tour. We should see some great racing there tomorrow and over the weekend. Looks like I'll still have to be content with highlights only though. I might look for some Dutch re runs rather than suffer too much more of Kirby.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Instead of looking for flatter rides, my inner chimp (let's just call him Mr Funknuts) convinced me to try a different training loop which was no less climby. Still expect to do a decent weekend ride, but not sure how much is left in the tank now.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
May have been a crap day on the football front but at least the cycling delivered.

Great days racing at Eneco Tour. I saw the last 15km highlights and it didn't disappoint.

I took my new (secondhand) bike out again to revisit a recent route and she went like a dream, despite the headwind coming home. Also, first go with the secondhand Bryton Rider 50 that I picked up from Bike Radar at the same price as a new Garmin 200. Looks virtually new and seems to work very well with a nice clear display and very easy to use. Came with a cadence sensor too (which I'm yet to fit) so I get SB brownie points as well :angel: Yet to install the program on my computer, but I'm hoping the website won't be as bad as some reviews suggest and instead all will continue to go swimmingly. Fingers crossed.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
May have been a crap day on the football front but at least the cycling delivered.

Great days racing at Eneco Tour. I saw the last 15km highlights and it didn't disappoint.

I took my new (secondhand) bike out again to revisit a recent route and she went like a dream, despite the headwind coming home. Also, first go with the secondhand Bryton Rider 50 that I picked up from Bike Radar at the same price as a new Garmin 200. Looks virtually new and seems to work very well with a nice clear display and very easy to use. Came with a cadence sensor too (which I'm yet to fit) so I get SB brownie points as well :angel: Yet to install the program on my computer, but I'm hoping the website won't be as bad as some reviews suggest and instead all will continue to go swimmingly. Fingers crossed.
The problem with anything that isn't a Garmin is I find it hard to believe any website could be easier.
Even more so now they have fully got into bed with Strava.

With my display settings I set cadence next to 'slope' (gradient).
That's when, for me at least, it's at it's most useful.
I really struggle in maintaining decent speed/cadence on shallow climbs and false flats.
Finding the gear that gives me 85 rpm on a 3% rise, plays massive dividends in my overall speed, and the condition in which I leave the 'climb'.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Finding the gear that gives me 85 rpm on a 3% rise, plays massive dividends in my overall speed, and the condition in which I leave the 'climb'.

My post climb condition is always 'spent'. Must admit I wouldn't mind a cadenceometer though.

Hope the Bryton is a success 10.

I'm now done for the week. In terms of the leader board this week, distance might not be safe by elevation should be.

Changed my plans slightly this morning due to complaining legs. Evidence of my tiredness is a dropped bottle yesterday and a dropped me today at lights in front of loads. I laughed plenty.

'Found' a fantastic descent today. Leave Sevenoaks and head south. Not too much angle, but perfect swooping bends. The 'safety first' approach got left behind in a nanosecond.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
My post climb condition is always 'spent'.

'Found' a fantastic descent today. Leave Sevenoaks and head south. Not too much angle, but perfect swooping bends. The 'safety first' approach got left behind in a nanosecond.

As said when a climb starting creeping beyond 6-7% for any length of time, cadence doesn't come into it.
Little ring up the cassette and wait for the pain to end.

Selhurst Park :spit: which is the continuation road after going past Goodwood racecourse, is a prime example.

It's flat, it looks flat, it feels flat, but I could never ride it.
Turns out it's a 3-4% climb for a couple of miles, that occasionally touches 5%, I was so surprised when I found that out.
Matching my gears to my comfortable average cadence is a must and something I never did, I just thought I was struggling because of the climbing needed to get to the road.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Sterling effort Moto for this weeks riding! :clap2:

SB, I'll give more feedback on how I get on with the cadence thingie once I get it up and running. If it didn't come as part of the deal I wouldn't be in a rush to fit one to be honest as I could easily see it as just more clutter, both on the bike and for the mind. I quite like looking at scenery and wildlife still when I ride even though I do get into number watching as well.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here