Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
You're quite mean. :lolol:

Do NOT try to go up to the top of the boards Hamilton. They are almost vertical at the end. Roubaix, in comparison, is a bit like Preston Park.

Actually, DO try to go to the top of the boards. :)

The boards are no steeper at the top than the bottom!

Once you're moving fast enough to get onto the track (rather than the blue) then you can go all the way up without any problem.

It's the moving up and down smoothly that takes a little bit of practice.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
The boards are no steeper at the top than the bottom!

Once you're moving fast enough to get onto the track (rather than the blue) then you can go all the way up without any problem.

It's the moving up and down smoothly that takes a little bit of practice.

No, but he'll have further to fall off when he gets to the top.

But [MENTION=225]Hamilton[/MENTION], you'll be going round them like a seasoned pro within a short space of time, as SB says. I am just a little bit jealous.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Well, no massive surprises in the ITT today, except perhaps Ulissi. GC pretty much in the order as expected, although I thought maybe Pozzo might finish slightly up on Majka, and Uran took much more time than anyone probably thought he would.

In theory it really is Urans to lose now, but anything can happen still. Wonder if the gap to Uran, rather than Evans, is just too much for Quintana to overhaul or not? Certainly means he has to put in some big attacks at some point, and with his team looking suspect it just makes it even more exciting. I don't really have any favourites as such here, so would be happy to see Uran take it as much as the next man, but it would be great to see Quintana & Pozzo tearing it up at some point with Vuillermoz teeing up the attacks. Really hope Majka can hold on in there for a podium spot, but then that might be tricky if Quintana & Pozzo really do light things up. Also really curious to see all the questions answered about Evans in the high mountains as well.

Mouthwatering prospects coming our way. Can't wait!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The Cycling Podcast chaps had a good point.

Quintana is very much a short sharp shock climber who punches through stupid inclines.
Uran is a long haul kind of guy.

So they are basically going to be dueling it out but not at the same time, each hanging on in the others favoured terrain.

Nevertheless I still think NQ has one possibly two stages, depending on the clock, where he knows he's going to put a lot of time into the field over a short distance, and that'll be the Giro over.

Dare I say, Dan Martin's name wouldn't have looked out of place high up on today's leaderboard.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
The Cycling Podcast chaps had a good point.

Quintana is very much a short sharp shock climber who punches through stupid inclines.
Uran is a long haul kind of guy.

So they are basically going to be dueling it out but not at the same time, each hanging on in the others favoured terrain.

Nevertheless I still think NQ has one possibly two stages, depending on the clock, where he knows he's going to put a lot of time into the field over a short distance, and that'll be the Giro over.

Dare I say, Dan Martin's name wouldn't have looked out of place high up on today's leaderboard.

I agree, that giro field has the look of one that could get completely torn apart by quintana at his best. The question is whether he is at his best?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I agree, that giro field has the look of one that could get completely torn apart by quintana at his best. The question is whether he is at his best?

Agreed. But I think the answer is clearly that he's not at his best and I'm not sure that that's purely down to the crash and a cold either. Whether he can come into enough form in the third week to do what he's clearly quite capable of doing is a question that's keeping everything exciting so far. And yes, I do like starting sentences with conjuctions.

If I was to really stick my neck out, I'd go for Pozzovivo as the most likely to really turn this GC around. I think out of pure climbers, he's the one with the best form at the moment. If he can avoid his usual bad day in the third week then he at last has a real chance of a GT victory. He'll probably never get a better chance that's for sure! A part of me thinks he's more likely at the moment than Quintana to take big chunks of time, as crazy as that may sound. Uran is going to be hard to beat from here though.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
[MENTION=3566]hans kraay fan club[/MENTION], nice one. I'd have been well miffed about missing out on that watch too.
[MENTION=225]Hamilton[/MENTION], I'd be on my arse long before you. I'd probably go over the top as well.

Will there be any finishers in the Giro? Lots of horrible tumbles.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Some lovely retro classics from the Prendas boys:-

http://us7.campaign-archive1.com/?u=e427f13ad6ed19c69ee2e3ee2&id=bb5b4405e6

I'm particularly liking:-

974be880-bf94-4599-82f5-0670ef54837a.jpg

with the added bonus of never seeing or hearing of the team before.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
For the first time, I was top scorer in the NSC league on the Fantasy Giro yesterday. It probably won't happen again, so I thought I would post to mark the occasion!

(I'm still 7th out of the 8 participants though)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I found £2 in my Skybet account so inexplicably I have 2 x £1 wins on NSC finest and Cunego, other than the fact they are both 66/1, I know not why.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I found £2 in my Skybet account so inexplicably I have 2 x £1 wins on NSC finest and Cunego, other than the fact they are both 66/1, I know not why.

I added breakaway, will it or won't it?, fun for today. Arredondo on the nose with a fiver @8/1 and old favourite, who didn't throw a hissy fit after all and is still very much in the race, Rubiano @100/1 e/w. Has to be some GC action too so really looking forward to watching all of today's coverage which starts earlier than usual, 11.45, hopefully.

Talking of Prendas. I went and bought their own black arm warmers recently. Nice bit of kit and good price too :thumbsup:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Here's our break:

Domont-Frapporti-Sella-Battaglin-Keizer-Quinziato-LongoBorghini-Pantano-Cataneo-Polac-Wellens-Monsalve-Vermote-Santaromita-Quemeneur-Timmer-Cataldo-Boasson Hagen-Roche-Hond

I always seem to pick the wrong Colombian for the break :( Had Pantano the other day but not today. Was sure Arredondo at least would definitely be there to cement the KoM jersey. None of yours in their either SB unfortunately.

From those I'd be happy to see Monsalve or Wellens do something. But a stage win for Roche would be lovely to see, or failing that a tatical masterpiece from Saxo for Majak to bridge and Roche help him along to taking some serious GC time :)

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Loving today's Giro coverage.

I say, [MENTION=19321]Pogue Mahone[/MENTION], is it Morvelo you rave about? Can you buy in person at all? If so, where. Thanks in advance.

Hoping to get out tomorrow morning.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Loving today's Giro coverage.

I say, [MENTION=19321]Pogue Mahone[/MENTION], is it Morvelo you rave about? Can you buy in person at all? If so, where. Thanks in advance.

Hoping to get out tomorrow morning.

I love Morvelo's stuff. The only place I know that sells it these days is Prestige Cycles, in George Street, Hove. It used to be sold in Evans and Rayments, but for some reason they took out a contract with Prestige...

They have an online store, but you get better deals on ebay or Evans online, or Wiggle. And sometimes it comes up on one of the Sports Pursuit sales. I never buy their stuff at full price, but wait for bargains through these avenues.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Hmmm, I'm a little more interested now.

Great move by Rolland and a nice move by Ryder to pick up on it.

It's a shame they've brought a classic 'Stat predicts the winner a day early' with them, in Zoidl, who seems quite happy to be carried everywhere.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Hmmm, I'm a little more interested now.

Great move by Rolland and a nice move by Ryder to pick up on it.

It's a shame they've brought a classic 'Stat predicts the winner a day early' with them, in Zoidl, who seems quite happy to be carried everywhere.

I have had to turn over and record the rest of the stage, as the teens have arrived to watch the Championship Play Off Final, whatever that is.

Nice to see the sun out in Italy, at last.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
That's better.

The Giro goes from 1 to 10 in one stage.
Plenty of quality racing and intrigue.

Naturally I'm predisposed to my bet, it's a shame Rolland and Ryder didn't have a couple of strong riders with them, to share the load. They seemed a little becalmed at the very moment they needed to kick on.

Feeling a bit for Cataldo, Battlecat seemed to do a minor smash and grab, but nevertheless still a cracking job to only lead for 20 metres.

The podcast chaps called it right.
Uran in control up a steady, albeit hard, climb.
Quintana comfortable when it gets spikey.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Fantastic finish to that stage. Battle for the stage win was a real nail biter - I thought Cataldo had it comfortably at one point.

Great to see Pozzo and Quintana go together. We knew what to expect from Pozzo today I think, but answers a lot of questions about Quintana. It's going to be fun watching these two smashing the steep sections and seeing how well Uran can diesel his way back up. Evans is a very intelligent rider for these scenarios. Very curious to see if Majak can hold on in the third week or if he'll have a bad day and crack big time. Add Aru into the equation as well and the GC battle looks very healthy indeed :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here