Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Look Keo's for me, but as I've never ridden anything I guess I can't comment.
But I think they are great and certainly wouldn't think of trying any others.

Although I have heard good things about the Speedplay.

It is all about the Look's for me too. I've never been too convinced by the speedplay's having the locking mechanism on the shoe. Seems like having the mechanism part of the system touching the ground semi frequently is not such a great idea.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I'm going in tomorrow. After my ride (assuming it is dry).

No not yet. Lying low on purchases right now. I might go for proper pedals and shoes first but if I pull off that 200 using our vouchers, it'll be a long time before I can get away with more bike related purchases. Squeak.

SPD-L's on mine, I like them but on setting off from a standing start they have taken a bit of getting used to. I've also got a pair of Specialized BG Expert road shoes and they are excellent. The wired tightening is just so compfy and easy to adjust while riding along.

Glad I went for proper road clips over say SPD's (which I have on my hack bike) as once clipped in there is no hot spot on the pedal and the connection is much better.

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/specialized/bg-expert-road-shoe-ec025551

Stoichkov

The Miserable Bulgarian
Jul 26, 2004
Brighton
Keo's for me.

On another note - any of you lot been watching the Tour of Belgium? Good little tour over a decent route.

Tony Martin easily won the short TT yesterday. Imagine if he could climb eh? He's in the same mould as Jan Ullrich - a big East German diesel...

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Keo's for me.

On another note - any of you lot been watching the Tour of Belgium? Good little tour over a decent route.

Tony Martin easily won the short TT yesterday. Imagine if he could climb eh? He's in the same mould as Jan Ullrich - a big East German diesel...

As my boy never tires of reminding me...Tony Martin came second on Mount Ventoux in TdF a few years ago. I still have to check if that really happened even now, despite watching it with my own eyes. But yes, point taken, if he could climb he'd be a GC contender.

I haven't managed to catch any of the Tour of Belgium but did briefly check results. I noticed Spartacus had a nightmare TT and is apparently now considering his TdF participation. Sprint wise, I think Danny is going to be closer to emulating his father than his brother Boy van Poppel. Danny looks to be a real prospect.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Euskatel & Colombia working hard here. Samu & Duarte must be well up for the stage win today.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Schoolboy error #1: failed to adjust my team before the deadline. Only ran with 8.

Saw the last 20 kms. Wow.

Got new pads fitted. Apparently, the originals were pretty basic. Front ones done too. I'd rather have paid an extra tenner from the outset.

Schoolboy error #2: Rode over a manhole cover up my big climb and slid/lost traction and it made me stop or fall over. With fixed shoes I fear I'd have hit the deck. Hard. Saw a spesh with old skool cages. Might give those a punt.

Project? Second hand shop is selling a sun solo, 1970s, 21 inch frame for £125. It looks very used. Think it will be there a long time.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Schoolboy error #1: failed to adjust my team before the deadline. Only ran with 8.
At least you can go sprint heavy tomorrow.

Schoolboy error #2: Rode over a manhole cover up my big climb and slid/lost traction and it made me stop or fall over. With fixed shoes I fear I'd have hit the deck. Hard.
You may well have done, but the benefits of riding 'connected' to the bike far outweigh the potential for the odd fall.
You WILL have one clipless fall when you start riding with new pedals.
Anyone that says they haven't is lying.
We will all laugh at you, then tell you our stories, which will be equally funny.
You'll soon realise with clipless pedals you can get your foot out pretty damn quick when you need too.

Project? Second hand shop is selling a sun solo, 1970s, 21 inch frame for £125. It looks very used. Think it will be there a long time.
Ah but what if you could make it look like this:-
3297094037_74cc584f23.jpg

Wait a few weeks offer £20 settle on £35, or walk away.

Attachments

• spaceout.gif
    spaceout.gif
    43 bytes · Views: 122

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Mental stage today.
I watched the last 15ish.

Fair play to Nibs, he certainly has earned the jersey these last 2 days.
Got to feel for Cadel.
All my bluster about him choking went straight out the window when I saw what they were riding in.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I stayed tuned for Tour of Belgium today. It's a good stage so far. 6 men away with just over 1 minute lead and 10km to go. Our man Tommy V in the break and the likes of Gilbert and Slagter in the peleton.

Edit: Right on cue Tommy V has just gone off the front :lol:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
1,3,4,6,10,12,14 today.

I also feel for Evans. I really like him as a rider these days.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
[tweet]338328821830914048[/tweet]

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
1, 2, 3, 4, 6 and 14 today, and I forgot to transfer Di Luca out.

What a stage! I don't get the chance to watch live very often, so turned on the TV at 1.30 and settled down to this. Brilliant.

Now, all in for Cav to win the stage and take red back from Nibali tomorrow.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
That's in great shape SB, but the one I saw was a bit of a mess. Not that much of a draw is it that brand?

Oh and another thing. While waiting for my bike back, some older fella brought in one of those with a motor. I think he'd lost the plot with accessories though. It was more like a Honda Goldwing. I had no idea you could get rear view mirrors for a bike any more, let alone full car sized.

I know I'm the 'L plater' on here, but that stage makes me feel more like a 'blue badger'. Who was the guy, in a T, shorts and fingerless gloves?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
That's in great shape SB, but the one I saw was a bit of a mess. Not that much of a draw is it that brand?

I know I'm the 'L plater' on here, but that stage makes me feel more like a 'blue badger'. Who was the guy, in a T, shorts fingerless gloves?

From memory (although more than happy to stand corrected) it's a bit of a 'Carrera' brand, and probably never has been valued at £125.
But that black one comes up when you google image Sun Solo.

Betancur, I bet they still haven't chipped him off his bike.
Frackin looney.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
1, 2, 3, 4, 6 and 14 today, and I forgot to transfer Di Luca out.

What a stage! I don't get the chance to watch live very often, so turned on the TV at 1.30 and settled down to this. Brilliant.

Now, all in for Cav to win the stage and take red back from Nibali tomorrow.

Good work pogue, I've just hung on to 2nd - hopefully you used us some transfers for today and haven't got 4 in the bag for tomorrow!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Plenty of money to be had if you're stoooopid enough to bet against Cav.

Nizzolo @ 10's Viviani & Mezgec @ 12's, then the odds get really long.

I've had another crafty 50p :lol: on Dave Apolo @ 125, plus Fabio Cat @ 200/1.

Oh Cav is 2/7, which is probably still to long.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I've not seen any:-

'had he been fit, Wiggo would have won', mentions.

I don't image we are likely too either, other than from the man himself.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Plenty of money to be had if you're stoooopid enough to bet against Cav.

Nizzolo @ 10's Viviani & Mezgec @ 12's, then the odds get really long.

I've had another crafty 50p :lol: on Dave Apolo @ 125, plus Fabio Cat @ 200/1.

Oh Cav is 2/7, which is probably still to long.

Yep, Lancaster is bloody good odds too. *What does 1/3 1-2 mean on a e/w bet please? * Half odds on a 1-3 placement? *I'm really confused when it comes to e/w bets and yet that's the ones I go for.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I've not seen any:-

'had he been fit, Wiggo would have won', mentions.

I don't image we are likely too either, other than from the man himself.

I confess at the beginning of this race I thought it was Wiggins' to lose. Storm the TT's and just sky train the mountains, I couldn't see how Nibs could get the time back. Nibs has done what the Schlecks refuse to do though - put loads of work into his TTing. He's also been superb on the descents as expected and climbed even better than normal. Total dominance from start to finish here. Thoroughly deserved win.

Race has ended as a bit of a farce but I still think there's been some great stages and racing along the way.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here