Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Great picture of the Arenberg from Podium Cafe today.

F9jU5Q7AmbTX.jpg

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Nuts!

How the hell can you ride on that with a flat back tyre.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Now we just need it to rain...

That stretch is deadly without rain as the cobbles get little sun and are covered in Moss. One of our favourite places to watch it from, the party is always crazy with lots of men in fancy dress on a stage dancing to Euro Techno Krat Rock....

The great Mueesuw nearly lost a leg here when he crashed and got gangrene, since then it has been toned down.

One of my wifes many great photos from Trouee d'Arenburg

Attachments

• Ar.jpg
    Ar.jpg
    372.3 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
We have managed to catch the race many times lower down around Orchie (TDF stage this year) and easily got into the veledrome at the end (make sure your map reading skills are set) try and get in where you can see a big screen as well.

One year we even got into the technical area outside the famous showers, look forward to seeing your photos. Not going so I shall be gutted if it rains, been years since we saw a wet one - they are the best. Enjoy...

Thanks.

I'm really torn as to whether to risk going for either the exit at Tourée d'Arenburg or Orchie and then trying to make the velodrome, or just be safe and settle for the velodrome. I sort of already bottled it in our ferry booking and now might be struggling to make either of those sections in plenty of time (estimated 14.30 race goes through there). I have little kids in tow and I don't want to miss the thrill of the velodrome. The traffic jams and road closures in the chase up to Roubaix are a total unknown for me. I was settling for a relaxed day with a look at the famous cobbled section approaching the velodrome that has past winners inprinted in the cobbles, then plenty of time to get a choice spot and watch the race on one of the big screens. I figured this will be best for our first time and seeing as I'll have all the family. Trouble is, part of me really wants to go for it and chance my arm on seeing a cobbled section too. I'm tempted by what you say about making it up in time but I have no experience like you. Decisions, decisions.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Poor Alfred Achermann...cobbles in the face, handlebars in the nuts

9844b5b522ef5fe1230b38567128cead_image_document_large_featured_borderless.jpg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Thanks.

I'm really torn as to whether to risk going for either the exit at Tourée d'Arenburg or Orchie and then trying to make the velodrome, or just be safe and settle for the velodrome. I sort of already bottled it in our ferry booking and now might be struggling to make either of those sections in plenty of time (estimated 14.30 race goes through there). I have little kids in tow and I don't want to miss the thrill of the velodrome. The traffic jams and road closures in the chase up to Roubaix are a total unknown for me. I was settling for a relaxed day with a look at the famous cobbled section approaching the velodrome that has past winners inprinted in the cobbles, then plenty of time to get a choice spot and watch the race on one of the big screens. I figured this will be best for our first time and seeing as I'll have all the family. Trouble is, part of me really wants to go for it and chance my arm on seeing a cobbled section too. I'm tempted by what you say about making it up in time but I have no experience like you. Decisions, decisions.

Yes its easy to cock it up, we got lost the other year and missed the veledrome at the end and we have been going a few years now.

Touree d'Arenburg is really special and even though its crowded you can get up into the woods and see very well, if you go make the wallers end, they have a few small bars, stalls and shops by the old coal mine and you can walk the route up and down, the crowd is always lively, drunk and passionately supporting any Belguim men dressed in lycra. We have nearly always made it from there to the veledrome by running back to the car and by-passing the race on the motorway (you actually see it passing or crossing over), loads of people drive up the back roads and just park in the road run up to a section and then back to the car and on and on.

Orchies is also good but much lower, we often watch a few sections prior to that and then watch the ending in the PMU (I nearly got lynched the year Hammond got a third).

The veledrome at the end is also good but obviously no cobbles, they have some stalls selling cycling merchandise, it is surrounded by grass if the kids want to run around and has big screens showing the race, I have never been their early but I imagine you could even bag seats in the main stand. You can street park pretty easy as well around the stadium. The section of cobbles is small and token by the veledrome but only a stones throw away.

If you can print off detailed maps and get around the road closures it is possible to do Arunburg and get to the veledrome time wise as long as you don't get lost, and most of the veledrome is terracing so you can squeeze in at at the end, not sure you want to do that with kids.

If you are really stuck for time its also worth considering Cysoing, thats the clip Stat Brother posted of Hincappie going down a ditch (the fool) you will never make the end but you will watch all the stragglers come through slowly as its near the end. If you have young kids beware on the cobbles often the motor bikes come off into the crowds and you have to have your wits about you. In the Forest it is now barriered most the way and traffic is diverted around.

I love this race and Flanders and its one of the best days in the cycling calendar, unfortunately we cannot go this year, however I won't miss the 5.30 alarm and drive to Dover. Don't worry once you go and see how easy it is you will get the bug and be returning in July for the tour de france or next year again.

I am very envious and look forward to seeing your photos, check you data roaming as often I have spent a fortune trying to find out whats going on and who's won...we will be watching on Eurosport and cheering on Boasson Hagen.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Yes its easy to cock it up, we got lost the other year and missed the veledrome at the end and we have been going a few years now.

Touree d'Arenburg is really special and even though its crowded you can get up into the woods and see very well, if you go make the wallers end, they have a few small bars, stalls and shops by the old coal mine and you can walk the route up and down, the crowd is always lively, drunk and passionately supporting any Belguim men dressed in lycra. We have nearly always made it from there to the veledrome by running back to the car and by-passing the race on the motorway (you actually see it passing or crossing over), loads of people drive up the back roads and just park in the road run up to a section and then back to the car and on and on.

Orchies is also good but much lower, we often watch a few sections prior to that and then watch the ending in the PMU (I nearly got lynched the year Hammond got a third).

The veledrome at the end is also good but obviously no cobbles, they have some stalls selling cycling merchandise, it is surrounded by grass if the kids want to run around and has big screens showing the race, I have never been their early but I imagine you could even bag seats in the main stand. You can street park pretty easy as well around the stadium. The section of cobbles is small and token by the veledrome but only a stones throw away.

If you can print off detailed maps and get around the road closures it is possible to do Arunburg and get to the veledrome time wise as long as you don't get lost, and most of the veledrome is terracing so you can squeeze in at at the end, not sure you want to do that with kids.

If you are really stuck for time its also worth considering Cysoing, thats the clip Stat Brother posted of Hincappie going down a ditch (the fool) you will never make the end but you will watch all the stragglers come through slowly as its near the end. If you have young kids beware on the cobbles often the motor bikes come off into the crowds and you have to have your wits about you. In the Forest it is now barriered most the way and traffic is diverted around.

I love this race and Flanders and its one of the best days in the cycling calendar, unfortunately we cannot go this year, however I won't miss the 5.30 alarm and drive to Dover. Don't worry once you go and see how easy it is you will get the bug and be returning in July for the tour de france or next year again.

I am very envious and look forward to seeing your photos, check you data roaming as often I have spent a fortune trying to find out whats going on and who's won...we will be watching on Eurosport and cheering on Boasson Hagen.

What a gent ! Thank you for such a detailed reply. That made for lovely reading too and is just feeding my excitement :)

I think what you say there just confirms my original plans then to relax at the velodrome early with the kids so they get a good view and I don't have to panic about getting stressed out if I get lost having gone for the cobbles too. I have been looking in detail at the route, have a map, and reading up plenty, but for this year, I think I'll play it safe. I'm sure we'll return as the kids grow older anyway and can risk it more then. Meanwhile they're used to patient waits to watch a bunch of cyclists come flashing past, we spent about 3 hours on Goudhurst Hill the other year for Le Tour :lol: At least at the velodrome they'll see lots more and have more to do while they're waiting.

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
It really is a great event to go and catch, my wife reminded me we have gone loads and not gone to the veledrome as its all about the cobbles, (choice is a wonderful thing). I am really really envious now I have been thinking about it.

You will see this one at least as the poor knacked winner has to lift it up at the end, just to ensure the cobbles always win.

Attachments

• CS.jpg
    CS.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 50

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
What a gent ! Thank you for such a detailed reply. That made for lovely reading too and is just feeding my excitement :)

I think what you say there just confirms my original plans then to relax at the velodrome early with the kids so they get a good view and I don't have to panic about getting stressed out if I get lost having gone for the cobbles too. I have been looking in detail at the route, have a map, and reading up plenty, but for this year, I think I'll play it safe. I'm sure we'll return as the kids grow older anyway and can risk it more then. Meanwhile they're used to patient waits to watch a bunch of cyclists come flashing past, we spent about 3 hours on Goudhurst Hill the other year for Le Tour :lol: At least at the velodrome they'll see lots more and have more to do while they're waiting.

I don't know your timings but if you do not have to hack it up and down the motorway, you can go via the A roads and stop off in Saint-Omer it has a nice square with cafes and you can pick up a L'Quipe which will have a map and riders numbers. Its slower but you feel like you take in a bit of France on the way. Also at the end if you have time don't be afraid to go over to the team buses the security is often poor and they often give out posters and stuff.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It really is a great event to go and catch, my wife reminded me we have gone loads and not gone to the veledrome as its all about the cobbles, (choice is a wonderful thing). I am really really envious now I have been thinking about it.

You will see this one at least as the poor knacked winner has to lift it up at the end, just to ensure the cobbles always win.
You've got to love that prize, it's almost worth coming second for!.

Here you go, you've slogged for 6+ hours, your arms and shoulders are burning, now lift this fookin great big rock up!.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
I LOVE THAT, who is commentating, will watch that again and again 'they are fighting for back wheels' - this race is really awesome.

David Duffield from the days when he still had some idea what is going on, and with a cold.

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
David Duffield from the days when he still had some idea what is going on, and with a cold.

Of course Duffers, I absolutely love that footage, I am going to watch it every day for a long while - 'he only has four wheels, they are fighting for wheels' my wife summed it up "that race is *ucking inhuman"

I shall be watching on HD from the comfort of my sofa....

Stoichkov

The Miserable Bulgarian
Jul 26, 2004
Brighton

Horton gives plenty of good advice there

The route details are here: Paris-Roubaix 2012 - The route 2012

I normally go straight down the A26 to Cambrai and then watch one (or more if i'm feeling lucky!) of the cobbled sections (between 27 & 24) before A2 / A21 towards lille and watching another cobbled section (usually Templeuve) but you could easily carry on and get to Roubaix in plenty of time

Horton also makes a good pioint about watching the race - i've almost been hit a few times by cars / motorbikes / riders etc (all my fault!) as its absolute chaos at times so keep a good hold of your kids!

Stoichkov

The Miserable Bulgarian
Jul 26, 2004
Brighton
Its just occured to me, my above post was about 24hrs too late. I'm blaming the B/H weekend - I struggle to remember what day it is.

Today though its Sunday i.e Paris - Roubaix!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I can't believe Flecha hasn't attacked, yet. :lol:

I'm in for a long day.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here