Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cycle helmets

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
I have been cycling for years on the roads and I have not had a single accident caused by my own wrong doing. The wrong doing came from the car who got to close to me and clipped my handlebars even though I was as close to the curb as I could get.

And I all do all those above apart from the Hi Viza because I have powerful lights. I also drive a car so see both sides to it.

Try cycling on the undercliff pass in the Winter when it is blowing about 40mph with driving rain. Its safer on the top.

are you allowed to cycle on the undercliff ?

sjn

May 8, 2012
ESU - C
there is a dual carriageway by use, quite a fast road and very busy.
next to it is a raised cycle lane about 12ft wide, seperated from the road by a grass verge and seperate from the pavement.
YET every morning the same idiot insists on cycling on the road next to the cycle lane, passing on the inside and weaving amongst the queuing traffic
he wears a helmet high vis and has side bags on his bike just to make him a bit wider.
one of these days he will be involved in an accient and be the first to complain

cyclist should by law: wear a helmet; high vis; lights; observe the highway code; and have insurance - oh an use the bl***dy cycle lane the council paid thousands for

and also local to use another dual carriage way a regular sign to motorist - beware cyclists racing! you have got to be having a laugh?

TotallyFreaked

Jul 2, 2011
I am a regular cyclists and I agree with all your balanced viewpoints. Cyclists are just a bunch of soap dodging, non tax paying, dole scrounging immigrants who should all be killed by lethal injection at the earliest opportunity to make our roads a safer place for our children

BHAFC_Pandapops

Citation Needed
Feb 16, 2011
there is a dual carriageway by use, quite a fast road and very busy.
next to it is a raised cycle lane about 12ft wide, seperated from the road by a grass verge and seperate from the pavement.
YET every morning the same idiot insists on cycling on the road next to the cycle lane, passing on the inside and weaving amongst the queuing traffic
he wears a helmet high vis and has side bags on his bike just to make him a bit wider.
one of these days he will be involved in an accient and be the first to complain

cyclist should by law: wear a helmet; high vis; lights; observe the highway code; and have insurance - oh an use the bl***dy cycle lane the council paid thousands for

and also local to use another dual carriage way a regular sign to motorist - beware cyclists racing! you have got to be having a laugh?

cyclists should never be allowed on dual carriageways. When do they ever do higher than 30?

D

Deleted member 22389

are you allowed to cycle on the undercliff ?

Yes you can. Some cyclists will not use the undercliff, because if you have a racing bike it will ruin the tyres. However some cyclists prefer to use the road because it is quicker.

However you can also use the path from Rottingdean to Brighton. It's wide enough.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Nor do 25 year old smoke belchers .

That isn't true, I'd dearly love my 26 year old VW to be a couple of hundred pound cheaper to run each year, but I still have to pay VED!

According to the previous Labour Government there were no historically important cars built after 1973, so the exemption doesn't apply to any vehicles built after then.

Last edited:

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
New Blood in the Tank

Should have armour plating all around and four wheels. Then they can do some running over.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Yes you can. Some cyclists will not use the undercliff, because if you have a racing bike it will ruin the tyres. However some cyclists prefer to use the road because it is quicker.

However you can also use the path from Rottingdean to Brighton. It's wide enough.

I thought the path was the national cycle route and the undercliff was out of bounds to cyclists ?

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
cyclists should never be allowed on dual carriageways. When do they ever do higher than 30?

Try cycling from Falmer to Lewes. Over 30 is easy - and terrifying. I'll never forget the scramble my brain was in the first time I realised I had to overtake a car down there!

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
I thought the path was the national cycle route and the undercliff was out of bounds to cyclists ?

I think that is half the problem with cycle paths, they are generally badly laid out, badly sign posted, and able to be used by pedestrians (who also have right of way).

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Pedestrians should be made to use the pavement and NOT the cycle lane, then we wouldn't have to use the pavement or road! Anyone ever tried riding along the cycle lane between King Alfred and Brighton Pier? Bloody nightmare.

How about drivers who park and open their door without looking in their mirror?

Point 1, when I drive my car, if there is stuff in the way, I slow down, drive around it, stop if necessary, if it is required, then a toot on the horn alerts any pedestrians that have inadvertantly stepped into the road. Of course, if it is a pedestrian crossing, I stop, and wait for them to cross. Cyclists could try a similar approach, bells & courtesy perhaps.

Point 2. Whilst I don't doubt idiot car drivers would risk damaging their car by opening the door without looking, but is it a regular occurance? (serious question, I've not done it, and not seen it done). It was a specific point taught when I had driving lessons/test that you always check your mirror before opening your door, as a matter of personal safety apart from anything else, that and you don't want your car being damaged by a passing vehicle.

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003
Point 2. Whilst I don't doubt idiot car drivers would risk damaging their car by opening the door without looking, but is it a regular occurance? (serious question, I've not done it, and not seen it done). It was a specific point taught when I had driving lessons/test that you always check your mirror before opening your door, as a matter of personal safety apart from anything else, that and you don't want your car being damaged by a passing vehicle.

I'm not getting involved in this thread - there's too much ignorance on display for me to handle. Instead, how about I use this one point to flag up just how off the mark this debate is, and how behind we are as a nation.

In countries that take safe cycling seriously, part of the road safety training kids get ensures that, as passengers, they open car doors with the hand furthest from the door. This forces them to look over their shoulder in the direction where a cyclist will be coming from. Result: fewer cyclist injuries. No-one loses out. In the UK, by contrast, cyclists have useless cycle lanes designed for us, which put us in the 'door zone'. There are so many stories of cyclists getting 'doored' by drivers/passengers, then abused for having the cheek to be there in the first place. And the reason they are there is either (a) the cycle lane is so poorly designed it puts them there, or (b) they are intimidated into driving in the door zone by the number of drivers who beep and shout at them to get out the way when they 'take the lane', as cycle safety training advises.

What does this illustrate? That nearly all of the cycle/driver conflicts result from poor design, and from 'social norms' that assume that roads are there for motor vehicles. And, honestly, if you're a car driver who doesn't think this is true, borrow a bike and go on a journey!

D

Deleted member 22389

Cycle use is just going to grow and grow in this country. Even without Bradley Wiggins and Mark Cavendish and recent success, I have noticed more people using their Bike.

There are two reasons for this, health reasons, and in some cases it is now quicker than the car.

What this county & country needs is a proper plan for more Cycle paths.
If the government asked me for 10 quid a year on top of my road tax, to help pay for the up keep of exisiting cycle paths and build more paths where they are desperately needed, I would be happy to pay it.
I don't want to be near cars or pedestrians when I cycle, and vice versa. And I don't want to keep hearing car drivers banging on about us paying road tax, when most of cyclists already own a car.

We need more proper cycles paths along A roads, because these roads are death traps for cyclists. And if there is no pavement to use, what else are you supposed to use.

Last edited by a moderator:

kano

Jun 17, 2011
Point 1, when I drive my car, if there is stuff in the way, I slow down, drive around it, stop if necessary, if it is required, then a toot on the horn alerts any pedestrians that have inadvertantly stepped into the road. Of course, if it is a pedestrian crossing, I stop, and wait for them to cross. Cyclists could try a similar approach, bells & courtesy perhaps.

Point 1. Possibly the worst analogy ever. Pedestrians don't routinely stroll down the middle of the road so on the RARE occasion one is in your way of course you politely encourage them out of your way. How about it if was every 20 feet?

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I think that is half the problem with cycle paths, they are generally badly laid out, badly sign posted, and able to be used by pedestrians (who also have right of way).

I attempted to cycle from The Level to the seafront on Sunday using only cycle paths, it's ridiculous. There are a few narrow cycle paths and then a bit where you have to take a really long route past The King & Queen pub then the cycle path just ends by The Royal Pavilion. The only option is to ride up towards town if you want to continue on cycle paths and then along New Road. There's also a bizarre cycle path coming the other way near the Castle Square/Old Steine where it goes about 50 metres and leads to nowhere!

kano

Jun 17, 2011
I actually think that extending the bus lanes and allowing cyclists to use them is a better idea than dedicated cycle lanes.

Make it clear that cyclists are obliged to give way when a bus is indicating to pull in/out of a stop and train the drivers to indicate properly and voila!

Zamora For England

Sep 27, 2006
Hurstpierpoint
They should be insured and pay road tax if using the highways...............and have wing mirrors on their helmets.

Even though it's based on pollution and emissions? Despite this I am a keen cyclist and pay road tax on both a car and a motorbike and despise when people have a pop with that card.

Separately any cyclist that does not wear a helmet is a jeb. No time for any cyclist, however keen, that doesn't.

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
I actually got knocked down on the weekend on the big roundabout next to Durrington High School at the top of The Boulevard. Car pulled out in front of me without looking. She apologised and I didn't make a big deal of it, partly because I was also to blame by listening to my iPod. It's something I've learned from, and won't do it again.

I enjoy cycling, but haven't worn a helmet since I was little. Maybe I should, but I try to be a safe cyclist where possible: I always stop at red lights and pedestrian crossings, keep in towards the curb, even letting cars out at junctions. I think cyclists and drivers need to stop blaming each other and accept that they're both responsible for each other's safety on the road.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Even though it's based on pollution and emissions?

If that was really the case, then why don't V8 gas guzzling relics from pre-1970 have to pay it? The reason, because its about generating revenue, nothing to do with emissions, that's just the all encompassing 'reason' given. So why shouldn't all road users be required to pay, including horses? I have 2 cars, I have to pay VED on both of them, even though I can only drive one of them at a time.

Likewise insurance, I know it is almost unheard of for a cyclist to be in the wrong, but if a cyclist did by a rare chance cause an accident, and damage my car, who pays for the repairs? At the moment it is muggins the driver, that really doesn't seem entirely fair to me.

Then again, this is probably all claptrap, probably the 2nd and 3rd worst anaolgies of all time.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
keep in towards the curb

Cyclist are under no obligation to do this, lets not forgot that. There is nothing in the highway code about this, I would suggest that often cyclists ride too close in to the kerb allowing drivers to get by when perhaps they shouldn't.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here