Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cycle helmets

Josimojo

Aug 4, 2011
I have nearly been hit crossing a road by cyclists on several occasions because many of them don't seem to think that a red light (and hence, a green man) applies to them. Of course not all ignore the lights, but I would say it's about 50/50...

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
Simple facts, right or wrong, who's to blame unimportant, results indisputable

bike vs car, bike will come off worse.

If you ride a bike sharing space with motorised transport then be aware, be very aware, expect the motorist to completely be unaware of you, don't go for that gap, don't do anything to put yourself anywhere near harms way, its only you that going to pay the price. RIGHT or WRONG, end result dictates you need to look after yourself, the motorist may be to blame but it is the cyclist that will have the pain, RIGHT or WRONG

Brightonfan1983

Jul 5, 2003
UK
Not only compulsory wearing of helmets, also

Hi Viz Vests
Non wearing of i pods
Non use of mobile phones
Stopping at red lights
No cycling on pavements

I am amazed that some cyclists have their iPods in; the same when drivers pump out music at full volume when driving. Pavement-cycling and mobile phone cycling both really get my goat.

As a London cyclist, the red light thing is not black and white for me. There's no way I'm going to sit red-lit at an empty pedestrian crossing, or at an empty junction when I can see that it's safe to go. But neither will I dodge traffic in order to get to the other side. A lot of drivers moaning about cyclists ignoring red lights I'm sure are simply infuriated that they can't do the same...

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
As a London cyclist, the red light thing is not black and white for me. There's no way I'm going to sit red-lit at an empty pedestrian crossing, or at an empty junction when I can see that it's safe to go. But neither will I dodge traffic in order to get to the other side. A lot of drivers moaning about cyclists ignoring red lights I'm sure are simply infuriated that they can't do the same...

Drivers HAVE to follow the rules, cyclist HAVE to as well, there should be no exceptions.

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003
Drivers HAVE to follow the rules, cyclist HAVE to as well, there should be no exceptions.

Nice idea, but no.

Transport planners put cyclists and drivers in conflict by ignoring the needs of cyclists. Obeying the law/rules can put a cyclist in more danger; it's well documented that the spate of women cyclists being killed at junctions (especially by HGVs) is linked to their strictly obeying lights, instead of getting out illegally ahead of the traffic and in full view of everyone.

When pedestrians and cyclists get priority on the highway back from motor vehicles, it'll become the norm to follow all the rules. Then everyone will be happy. Including you.

countryman

Jun 28, 2011
It should be compulsory to wear a helmet when cycling. You have got to be an idiot not to. And for me, the thing that puts me off cycling is a lack of cycle paths around the area I live in. If there was a cycle path between Newhaven and Lewes I would cycle to college everyday but as there isn't I won't, because I don't want to take the rick of cycling along the C7. And it will be a long time, if there ever is a time, that there will be a cycle path along that road.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
One thing cyclists have to suffer is ther lack of suitable front lights. However, Aldi are currently selling a front headlight which can be strapped/tied on the front handlebars. It cost £4 and I have paid more before for them and they actually work and the batteries can be changed (included) without it falling to bits. It enables others to see you coming.

Still looking for a value for money front lamp that enables a cyclists to see potholes and obstruction on a moonless night without street lamps.

Last edited:

£1.99

Mar 3, 2008

Agree with this.
we have a bad attitude in this country when it comes to obeying the rules of the road, you just need to watch how many people cross when the red mans showing at the lights. Even on a main road like the seafront road you see people crossing with prams and young children on the red man.
This does not happen in Country's like Germany, Holland and Denmark where cyclist, cars and pedestrians respect each other and the Highway code.
As i've said before if all travellers obeyed the rules on the roads and pavements it would make travel a lot safer.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Not only compulsory wearing of helmets, also

Hi Viz Vests
Non wearing of i pods
Non use of mobile phones
Stopping at red lights
No cycling on pavements
Terrifying people walking on the under pass to the Brighton Marina.

Why cycle on the coast road between Rottingdean and the Marina when there is a perfectly good cycle track

I may sound like a killjoy, i am far from it.

I assume that a lot of cyclists must like hospital food..........stay safe

Compulsory wearing of helmets.....no
Hi Viz Vests......no, but a luminous sash is a good idea
Non wearing of i pods....fair enough - never wear one (haven't got one)
Non use of mobile phones.......fair enough, but it's about time that started getting properly enforced for car and van drivers too
Stopping at red lights..........yes, always do; a bicycle is a road vehicle, and should obey the rules of the road
No cycling on pavements......no, definitely not; every copper and blue top shouldn't be allowed to go home until they've fined 10 cyclists each for doing this
Terrifying people walking on the under pass to the Brighton Marina......no comment' Last time I road a bike in Brighton was 1964

Why cycle on the coast road between Rottingdean and the Marina when there is a perfectly good cycle track.....why not? - if indeed it is a good cycle track - I could show you many that are pitiful, planned by idiots

I may sound like a killjoy, i am far from it.............hmmm....it depends on your definition of 'far'. Measuring it in centimetres, are you?

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Can you explain that bit? get it back?
The highway was originally for motor vehicles not pedestrians and cyclists.

It was originally for horses and carts - and people without horses. Geez, have we just found another product of our education system who thinks that history began with Hitler and football was invented by the Premier League!

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
Simple facts, right or wrong, who's to blame unimportant, results indisputable

bike vs car, bike will come off worse.

If you ride a bike sharing space with motorised transport then be aware, be very aware, expect the motorist to completely be unaware of you, don't go for that gap, don't do anything to put yourself anywhere near harms way, its only you that going to pay the price. RIGHT or WRONG, end result dictates you need to look after yourself, the motorist may be to blame but it is the cyclist that will have the pain, RIGHT or WRONG

Very very much this.

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
Cities should be bike friendly zones in preference to the motorised vehicles. Promotes health! On the other side, rural roads need the opposite. I am a bike rider but to block up roads in the country on A roads riding abreast is taking the pee.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
For those that say helmets should NOT be compulsory, whether for adults or children, I will tell you a story and then show you some pictures.

A few weeks before I went snowboarding with my kids, I went with my wife for a weekend. Due to the fact that a few weeks later my kids would be going and it is compulsory in France for children to wear helmets when skiiing, I bought one. The first day and the second run with my helmet on, I was on a flat after a steep part and thinking,shit how fast this is and how easy it is... I went straight over catching an edge and smashing my head on the side. I was dazed and slightly concussed and had to sit down for a good 5/10 minutes befire I could carry on and even then went straight to my wife and sat down for an hour. I seriously don't want to think what might have happened without the helmet.

Now the pictures and the scenario, ,y son was riding his bike and bumped up a dodgy (private not council) kerb and the kerb gave way causing him to crash head first into a lamp post and in particular the door edge that is on a lamp post. The nurse at the hospital lifted the scalp and i could see the membrane around his skull, I never, ever, want to see this again.

Attachments

• scary2.jpg
    scary2.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 34
  • IMAGE_00009.jpg
    IMAGE_00009.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 32
  • IMAGE_00010.jpg
    IMAGE_00010.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 32

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
It was Ok until they took off his helmet and then his Brains fell out!

Somewhere the slightly inaccurate stats have been published.

Summary:

66% and 68% of serious cyclist injuries are caused when the motorist is to blame. This does not mean that the cyclist is to blame in the other 32% or so, it is about 10%.

Cycling is five times as dangerous per mile travelled as going by car. Motorcycling is 25 times more dangerous. Cycling is only about as half as dangerous as walking though. This is not because cycling is uinherently dangerous but because motor vehicles have a propensity for running down and killing cyclists and pedestrians.

75% of cyclist accidents occur at junctions.

Make of it what you want. About 65% of the public chose to go by car.

You could very easily draw the conclusion that pediestrians show always were high viz jackets and lights and body armour of some kind. Why shouldn't they, especially walking from the car park. Cycle helmets are not that much good. The cricket helmets look effective though, until they are actually used and then they need to replaced.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here