Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cycle helmets

Wear a helmet

• Yes, I always wear a helmet

Votes: 23 48.9%
  • No, helmet's would mess up my £60 "do"

Votes: 18 38.3%
  • Neither, I can't ride, or am a tin-canner.

Votes: 6 12.8%

• Total voters

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Not on road. I don't take risks and don't cycle like a prat.

Nor do I, but the f***ing wanker white van man that pulled out of Freshfield Road turning right to go up Elm Grove as I was coming down it was more than a prat. Fortunately I managed to slow myself down just about enough before I hit his van that I didn't go over the top of it.
:tosser:

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
I suppose all those people who don't wear cycle helmets don't wear seat-belts either. "Don't worry, I'm never going to be in an accident, I'm too good a driver/rider!":shootself

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
I suppose all those people who don't wear cycle helmets don't wear seat-belts either. "Don't worry, I'm never going to be in an accident, I'm too good a driver/rider!":shootself

No, because I realise that I could kill someone else in a car crash if unbelted, also theres rather a difference between 15kph and 140kph.

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
No, because I realise that I could kill someone else in a car crash if unbelted, also theres rather a difference between 15kph and 140kph.
Are you saying that as you travel at 15 kph on your bike, the force of any impact would be 15 kph?

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
No, but the force of any impact in my car is unlikely to be precisely equal to the speed I'm travelling at either now is it?
I seem to have lost you. Do you wear a seat belt whilst driving, but not a cycle helmet whilst cycling?

John Dorian

Glass Case of EMOTION
I am a self-proclaimed "tin canner" but when I couldn't drive and I did have a bike, I wore it about 50% of the time. not when I did my paper round thou clearly !!! And MYOB...at 20, you are 3 days younger than me...

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
I seem to have lost you. Do you wear a seat belt whilst driving, but not a cycle helmet whilst cycling?

Yes. I interpreted your comment as suggesting that the 15kph speed (guessed at, I don't know how fast I cycle) would be below the total impact force, I countered by saying that the 140kph driving speed (somewhat higher than normal, tbh) would also be lower - keeping the comparison valid. Theres far, far more to risk by not wearing a seatbelt than not wearing a helmet on a pushbike.

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
Yes. I interpreted your comment as suggesting that the 15kph speed (guessed at, I don't know how fast I cycle) would be below the total impact force, I countered by saying that the 140kph driving speed (somewhat higher than normal, tbh) would also be lower - keeping the comparison valid. Theres far, far more to risk by not wearing a seatbelt than not wearing a helmet on a pushbike.
Is it worth the risk of not wearing a helmet? I'm guessing it is for 'image' reasons. I've been to many accidents and it is usually head injuries that kill people.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Is it worth the risk of not wearing a helmet? I'm guessing it is for 'image' reasons. I've been to many accidents and it is usually head injuries that kill people.

tbh, I look like a plank on a bike anyway, I think the only thing to make the image worse would be spandex not a helmet.

Its an over all personal preference for not wearing one. Rather hard to explain why, but its also hard to explain why you have a personal preference for anything, really.

Most people I know are most likely to not wear one because:

they make your head hotter,
or
the strap can be uncomfortable.

TBH if you are on a bike half the country seems to find you already look a tit, so a helmet won't make a difference!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here