Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Curry!

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
You LOVE them. I LOVE them.

I got back from the pub last nite and absolutely felt the need to DEMOLISH a Chicken Dansak...so it got me thinking what are the great and the good of NSC's favourites???

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I am rather partial to the dry chicken cooked in a Tandoor, accompanied with a STUFFED Naan, fresh slade and mint sauce. But it is a closely run thing with a Lamb Jalfrezi. :drool:

Whilst I am a massive fan of spicy food, I have never tried a Vindaloo. I think I might pluck up the courage soon.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
I like a good Dhansak and a Jalfrezi, but a PROPER Pork Vindaloo - ie one where the meat has been marinated in vinegar, and not one where they just stuff as much chilli powder in as possible after closing time to make you sweat and drink the water from the vase of flowers on the table - is a thing of rare beauty.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I cook me own.

Lightly fry some onions, with some chopped garlic and ginger.

Stir in...
1tsp ground cumin
2tsp ground coriander
2tsp ground fenugreek
2tsp ground turmeric
2tsp garam masala
1tsp chilli powder
Salt and ground pepper

Then toss in some chopped potatoes, a shitload of peas and two can of tomatoes. Stir in, cover, turn the heat down and leave to cook for 40 mins, stirring occasionally.

Rice
Lightly fry some onions and garlic. Stir in
1/2tsp ground cumin
1tsp ground coriander
1tsp ground turmeric
1tsp garam masala
4 or 5 cardamom pods

Stir, toss in the Basmati rice, stir again, then bit by bit add a couple of pints of Oxo chicken stock. Add more when necessary. Throw in optional chopped vegetables (peas, mushrooms, peppers) to taste. Cover, reduce the heat, stir occasionally for about 20 minutes until ready.

Then some bread. Stir in some bread flour with some salt and garam masala, with a couple of teaspoon of ghee or olive oil and warm water. Knead until dough like. Heat some oil until very hot. Take a small break off of dough, flatten it until it is about 1/2in thick and about 3 or 4 inches round, and fry for about 30 seconds each side. Remove and repeat until all the dough has gone.

Peasy.

The good thing about doing your own is you can choose your own strength and taste.

Snoop Dogg

Jun 19, 2009
Can't go wrong with a Lamb/Prawn Bhuna, but also very partial to the old classic -Chicken Korma. Anyone had some of that Coconut Rice? That stuff is the way forward :thumbsup:

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
I cook me own.

Lightly fry some onions, with some chopped garlic and ginger.

Stir in...
1tsp ground cumin
2tsp ground coriander
2tsp ground fenugreek
2tsp ground turmeric
2tsp garam masala
1tsp chilli powder
Salt and ground pepper

Then toss in some chopped potatoes, a shitload of peas and two can of tomatoes. Stir in, cover, turn the heat down and leave to cook for 40 mins, stirring occasionally.

Rice
Lightly fry some onions and garlic. Stir in
1/2tsp ground cumin
1tsp ground coriander
1tsp ground turmeric
1tsp garam masala
4 or 5 cardamom pods

Stir, toss in the Basmati rice, stir again, then bit by bit add a couple of pints of Oxo chicken stock. Add more when necessary. Throw in optional chopped vegetables (peas, mushrooms, peppers) to taste. Cover, reduce the heat, stir occasionally for about 20 minutes until ready.

Then some bread. Stir in some bread flour with some salt and garam masala, with a couple of teaspoon of ghee or olive oil and warm water. Knead until dough like. Heat some oil until very hot. Take a small break off of dough, flatten it until it is about 1/2in thick and about 3 or 4 inches round, and fry for about 30 seconds each side. Remove and repeat until all the dough has gone.

Peasy.

The good thing about doing your own is you can choose your own strength and taste.

This is all very good, but where's the meat? :p

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake
The 'Full English' for me
Onion Bhaji starter
Chicken Tikka Marsala
Pilau Rice
Sag Bhaji
Washed down with Cobra......

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
ever since I have come back from living in India, i have not found one I really like :(

I love curry and have found that i now prefer all the different side dishes rather than the main meals.

I normally get a lamb biriyani with vegetable curry, then add to it an array of side dishes like parathas, bhaji's and pakora's

luckily for me I am going back to India in a couple of months time

DerbyGull

Mar 5, 2008
Notts
ever since I have come back from living in India, i have not found one I really like :(

I love curry and have found that i now prefer all the different side dishes rather than the main meals.

I normally get a lamb biriyani with vegetable curry, then add to it an array of side dishes like parathas, bhaji's and pakora's

luckily for me I am going back to India in a couple of months time

Know what you mean with the native food, im like that with thai food, when i go there its the best food ive ever tasted, but wen i come back here eat in a thai restaurant im always disappointed

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003

To an extent I agree, but like the UK I find that India has the full range from superb to piss-poor.

Probably the single loveliest curry dish I have ever tasted was a Chicken Dopiaza on Sudder St in Calcutta. That was over 15 years ago and it still makes my mouth water at the thought.

As mentioned above, I thought the 'proper' Pork Vindaloos in Goa were often great.

And the old 'Meals Ready' sign outside virtually every restaurant in the south is always a passport to foodie heaven. I particularly recommend the 'Special Meals' from the Mamalla Bhavan in Mahabalipuram - their tiffin, especially the Masala Dosais, were great too.

But I found the food in Delhi in general to be very disappointing. And I wandered for some time around the Punjab looking for the perfect Chicken Tikka, before concluding it was probably to be found somewhere in Britain.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
If I'm treating myself (which I do like to do) then Prawn Puri to start, Garlic Chilli Chicken Masala special fried rice for main from Ganjes in Hove. That's livin alright!

BTW does ANYONE have a dessert? In all my time eating indian food I've never seen anyone order one. The selection is always the same, world over, and they all have the appearence of having been at the bottom of a freezer since time began.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
..also if in London try Drummond St.

Same thing happened to me last night, I just HAD to have a curry. My local place doesn't have a lamb Phall on their menu but they always knock one up for me with loads of fresh ground spices. It is truly AWESOME. My mouth is watering just writing about it. Most restaurants have no idea how to make a decent Phall (or just can't be arsed) but if you find one it's a real treasure.

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
If I'm treating myself (which I do like to do) then Prawn Puri to start, Garlic Chilli Chicken Masala special fried rice for main from Ganjes in Hove. That's livin alright!

BTW does ANYONE have a dessert? In all my time eating indian food I've never seen anyone order one. The selection is always the same, world over, and they all have the appearence of having been at the bottom of a freezer since time began.

Yes... Mithai, are Indian Sweets. Ever been to Bricklane in London? They have a shop or two along there that when i was younger, and got taken to London and we went there to eat, we went past and they have all these differant colours. They are very heavy though, and often too sweet for us brits, (being milk and flour based makes them a very heavy end to a meal) Plus Kulfi, which is what you see frozen at most british places, but it does exsist in India.

As for the perfect Chicken Tikka, isn't Chicken Tikka a British curry (much like the Onion Bhajee isn't actually indian, but british)? Or is that Masala. I forget.

I'm partial to a lamb Korma, because its coconut based, and rich and creamy. I've eaten hotter dishes, and sometimes find that the heat kills the flavour. So i constantly return to the Korma for flavour!:love::love:

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK

They can be great - in Lahore in Pakistan, they have a road called Food Street, where you wonder between small shops each of which sells a different course. And the almond tea and the small tapioca-like milk dessert served in a shallow clay dish I had there were some of the loveliest things I've ever tasted.

But yeah, not in your normal curry house. You might as well order one of the "English dishes" - has anyone ever done that?

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
As for the perfect Chicken Tikka, isn't Chicken Tikka a British curry (much like the Onion Bhajee isn't actually indian, but british)? Or is that Masala. I forget.

Chicken Tikka is a Punjabi dish (I believe) - pieces of chicken marinated in curd and spices, roast in a tandoor oven then served with raitha.

It was (allegedly, probably an urban myth) some plonker in the UK who decided to smother this loveliness in bland sauce and call it Chicken Tikka Masala.

Onion bhajee may or may not be British, but it is based on Pakoras, which are very much Indian.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here