Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Currie to Chesterfield?

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
Why are people so bothered?? He's not THAT good.

I for one wasn't that excited about him signing for us, granted he did well in his previous spell, but he's older and probably even slower now.

If he'd signed, I'd have been like :shrug: and now he's not signing, I'm exactly the same :shrug:

Complete non event IMHO, and if Chesterfield are actually getting excited about "winning" the fight for him over us, then frankly let them, it really doesn't seem like a big deal to me.

ditto the above

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
What a wanker. As if it wasn't enough of an insult to choose LUTON over us last year, he's now taken a northern league two club. Just shows he's not someone interested in the football, only the money/contract, and I think we're better off without that sort of player.

In fairness to him (sorry, Easy) given his age, and what he's seen happen at Luton, he's bound to look for the best possible contract isn't he? It's not like he's got any big money moves left in his career now is it? He's welcome to enjoy the fruits of his League 2 contract if our offer wasn't good enough for him.

It's not like we've lost out on a new Zamora or anything is it? Onward!

What a wanker. As if it wasn't enough of an insult to choose LUTON over us last year, he's now taken a northern league two club. Just shows he's not someone interested in the football, only the money/contract, and I think we're better off without that sort of player.

You have a point, but put yourself in his shoes, he has had a career that is coming to an end in the dog eat dog world of professional football, he gets offered a contract by us with the advantages of Brighton being a better footballing prospect and possibly a more pleasant place to live. How long was the deal we offered him by the way?
However Cheaterfield have come in and offered him a three year deal, if I was Currie I would have probably gone for the three year deal.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sorry, but booing him?

That would suggest he has somehow ruined our season.

Get some perspective, it's only Darren Currie, not Cristiano Ronaldo.

Spireite007

Jul 15, 2008
We were screwed over just like yourselves, the difference is that when Cheaterfield at the time were found to be giving bungs to players and had points deducted, your arrogant manager and players still said you were the true league champions!

What club asked for another club to asked to be thrown out of the league for personal gain?

It's on the pitch that it counts, like for instance, Rotherscum were spending money when they didn't have it, but would anyone defy them going up or call them cheats? Its only because we went up that anyone really cared.

And Brighton wanted to get us chucked out, but hey, Cheaterfield just never gets old

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
No great loss, but i bet it sold a few season tickets when we thought we were getting him.

Oh please.

There are players (and managers) around who would shift season tickets on their name alone.

With all due respect, Darren Currie isn't one of them.

unnameable

Feb 25, 2004
Oxford/Lancing
When we won L2 in 2001, Chesterfield maintained that they were the real champions, even though they would still have finished behind us with their ten points returned.

When we won L1 in 2002, Reading - specifically, Alan Pardew - claimed that they were the true champions, even though the Royals finished six points behind us.

When we win the league in 2009, who will claim that they are the real champions? My money's on Leeds.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
It's on the pitch that it counts, like for instance, Rotherscum were spending money when they didn't have it, but would anyone defy them going up or call them cheats? Its only because we went up that anyone really cared.

And Brighton wanted to get us chucked out, but hey, Cheaterfield just never gets old

Nor does "gayboys", my friend :thumbsup:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
It was never a make-or-break signing for us by any means. Yes I'd have liked to have seen him join us, as he would have given us something different. But if he prefers three years at the arse-end of the League instead of two years with us, then that just speaks volumes about his attitude and ambition. Probably best shot of him.

He'll enjoy Accrington and Aldershot I'm sure. What a platform for his talents.

Rotherscum as you call them have not been found out to be giving bungs to players in order to sign them have they? Or have I missed something over the last few years?

That's right it's on the pitch that counts and as far as I remember Brighton beat your lot to the league championship fair and square on the pitch, we would even had been above you if the points hadn't been taken off. But Nicky Law still said you were the true champions!
Have you any proof that we tried to get you thrown out of the league? Any written evidence or it just hearsay?

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill

I don't have any grudge to bear against Chesterfield. Shit happens. It's not like the fans had anything to do with it. Move on.

Spireite Till I DIe

Jul 15, 2008

:laugh: a northern league two club- brighton, well i know which 1 i'd choose.

Its a lot nicer up here :thumbsup:

see ya next season pal, unless we pass you on the way up :wave:

I would have thought we'd give him two years. That's only a guess of course, but working on that basis I'd still take our offer. There is no way Chesterfield could offer more money per week than us, so he wouldn't have lost out in the next two years. He'd be playing in front of more people and for a team chasing the championship. Instead, he'll be playing more than 100 miles north of where he's been before for a team at the arse end of league football with little or no potential to improve. The important factor for me is that he could have taken a couple of years with us and STILL got himself a one year contract in league two at the end of it, which would still be three years of employment. He may not have any big money moves left, but I'd imagine a couple of years with us followed by a year or two with dross like Chesterfield is still more profitable than the route he's chosen.

Of course, we may have only offered him a year, in which case ignore my post.

Cheaterfield just missed out on the playoffs last year, so they may go one better next season.
I agree with you that if we had offered him a two year deal then perhaps he should have gone with us, but none of us know if we offered him a two or one year deal and how much money Cheaterfield were offering him compared to us.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here