Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Currie getting slaughtered

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
An Ipswich mate was telling me the other day that Darren Currie, after his initial great start, is single-handedly taking the blame on all the message boards for their dismal recent form.

Apparently, so the argument goes, Royle has changed the whole way the team plays to accomodate what he brings to the team. A couple of weeks ago they were six points clear with home games against QPR and Watford to come. They promptly lost them both and are now in a real battle for automatic promotion.

This is garbage, isn't it? You sign a 30-year-old playing the best football of his life in the highest division in which he's played, surely it's obvious he is unlikely to a) get you to the Premiership, or b) play any games even if you get there, being shipped out for some Norwegian.

The fact is that a lot of the Ipswich players have gone off the boil at just the wrong time of the season, and Currie is an easy scapegoat.

I saw the highlights of their match with Wigan and I have to say Darren Currie was invisible.

Maybe the initial high of going there has worn of for him. Perhaps he might wanna return to a bigger club, but would we be able to accomodate him?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I seem to remember Currie getting slaughtered on here after our poor start to the campaign. Unfairly as it turns out. It doesn't sound like Ipswich fans are much different from us.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Fans, eh?

What do they know about players?

Hannibal smith

Jul 7, 2003
Kenilworth
I really thought we would miss Currie when he left. His creativity was far in excess of any other player in the squad probably all of them combined.

As it turns out he has been replaced by players with a bigger work ethic and other players have stepped up in terms of ball delivery (Carpenter especially). I sometimes wonder if he was a luxury we couldn't afford as we win by keeping things tight.

I can see what Ipswich Fans mean. If you lose 3 on the spin you want some certain players to take charge and turn the losing streak around. For all Currie's flair he's not going to win 50-50 balls and lead from the front. That's not to say other players in the team aren't doing their job as well, just that when the going gets tough, Currie isn't the first man you would want in the trench's

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Hannibal smith said:
I really thought we would miss Currie when he left. His creativity was far in excess of any other player in the squad probably all of them combined.

As it turns out he has been replaced by players with a bigger work ethic and other players have stepped up in terms of ball delivery (Carpenter especially). I sometimes wonder if he was a luxury we couldn't afford as we win by keeping things tight.

I can see what Ipswich Fans mean. If you lose 3 on the spin you want some certain players to take charge and turn the losing streak around. For all Currie's flair he's not going to win 50-50 balls and lead from the front. That's not to say other players in the team aren't doing their job as well, just that when the going gets tough, Currie isn't the first man you would want in the trench's

I agree with all of that. But they signed him. He wasn't an established Premiership/world star - he was a player who had played in the bottom two divisions virtually all his career. Go figure.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
He's still got the best hair in the division by a country f***ing MILE.

Lush

Mods' Pet
Hannibal smith said:

Agree 100%. And whither Paul Brooker these days eh?

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
Simster said:
I seem to remember Currie getting slaughtered on here after our poor start to the campaign. Unfairly as it turns out. It doesn't sound like Ipswich fans are much different from us.
Yeah, but if you're honest you know he was f***ing shite when he joined us, then came good. And we warmed to the man. Methinks he's being made a scapegoat over there, though I don't think he'd ever be good enough for the premiership

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Border country.East Preston.
Good.Lesson 1: Don't leave Brighton (this applies to all walks of life)

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I'd be interested to see how Currie fared after the Forest game. I see he came on at half time when the score was 2-0, and they ran in SIX.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Hannibal smith said:

I see it the same way. And the same with Danny Cullip.

Players can learn to pass like Currie. They might (not yet) learn to defend like Cullip. But nothing can be done to make either player's legs run faster!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here