Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Current world class English players.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Define any side? Northern Ireland:laugh: Seriously would the rule of thumb be a player who would get in the starting 11 of the top 4 ranked teams in the world?

Rooney for sure, but the rest, hence my original question?

any side means any side in the world so by definition the top 4 sides in the world as well as the rest. And I can't think of a left back that would keep Ashley Cole out of the side.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
If that's the criteria, then why not John Terry?

Maybe because he's is not a particularly good defender. Admittedly he brings other things to a team, but as a full-back he is slow and makes mistakes too often to be called a world class defender - Rio reads the game far better than he does.

HP Seagull

Danny Cullip: Hero
Sep 26, 2008
Maybe because he's is not a particularly good defender. Admittedly he brings other things to a team, but as a full-back he is slow and makes mistakes too often to be called a world class defender - Rio reads the game far better than he does.

When was the last time Terry played full back?

Rooney, A. Cole, Gerrard and Lampard. I might add Terry to that list if he plays a blinder at the World Cup, but I'm yet to be convinced. Rio is also world class.

Harty

Jul 7, 2003
Sussex
To expand a bit

If you have the time go through the world cups since 1966 and list in your opinion the world class English players

66. Banks, Moore, R Charlton and Greaves
70 Banks and Moore (Charlton passed his best?)
82 Shilton and Robson
86 Ditto and possibly Lineker

Sorry go to go on a funeral, feel free to carry on........

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Cole, Lampard, Gerrard, Rooney.

All of these are world class in my opinion, as if they were to come up for sale Barca, Real M, Man U, Chelsea etc would want to buy them all if possible

Thats how i determine world class anyway.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Players mature and can surprise at tournaments like this. For example in 82 we went in with Keegan and Brooking as our world class players but they were both injured and Robson came of age.

In 86 Lineker was heavily criticised leading up to the tournament but came through (at least from the 3rd game onwards - afterall we were awful in the games against Portugal and Morocco that year).

In 1990 we knew Gascoine was a mercurial talent but the level of performances surprised many.

If we have to find players who on current form would get into the top 44 in the world (or top 4 in their position if you like) then I would suggest that:

Cole
Rooney
and one of Gerrard/Lampard

would probably make that grade. I do think though that in the same way as Sol Campbell really upped his game in years past (and was part of the team of the tournament in 2002 which should be the ultimate definition of world class) that there will be an older player who will show a side to his game that perhaps us cynical English have never appreciated - how about Gareth Barry or Aaron Lennon for this?

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
To expand a bit

If you have the time go through the world cups since 1966 and list in your opinion the world class English players

66. Banks, Moore, R Charlton and Greaves
70 Banks and Moore (Charlton passed his best?)
82 Shilton and Robson
86 Ditto and possibly Lineker

Sorry go to go on a funeral, feel free to carry on........

90 - Lineker, Gazza, Des Walker
98 - Sol Campbell
02 - Ferdinand, Beckham (if he'd been fit)
06 - Ashley Cole, Ferdinand, Rooney (if fully fit)

I don't include Gerrard or Lampard as, although they're class players, there are better central midfielders in world football.

Ex-Staffs Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Adelaide, SA
90 - Lineker, Gazza, Des Walker
98 - Sol Campbell
02 - Ferdinand, Beckham (if he'd been fit)
06 - Ashley Cole, Ferdinand, Rooney (if fully fit)

I don't include Gerrard or Lampard as, although they're class players, there are better central midfielders in world football.

90 Replace Des Walker for Beardsley
98 + Owen
02 + Scholes

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
90 Replace Des Walker for Beardsley
98 + Owen
02 + Scholes

Des Walker was probably the best centre half in that tournament, Beardsley was a good partner for Lineker but certainly wouldn't have got into any team.

Owen had one good game in 98. Scholes had been great for Man U and England but did nothing of note during the world cup in 02.

Last edited:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Ashley Cole?
John Terry?
Steven Gerrard?
Frank Lampard?
Wayne Rooney?

Correct. And all more experienced than last time...

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
In 86 Lineker was heavily criticised leading up to the tournament but came through (at least from the 3rd game onwards - afterall we were awful in the games against Portugal and Morocco that year).

Probably because he had Mark Hateley alongside him.

For the third game it was Peter Beardsley chosen to play - which was the RIGHT thing to do.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I'd say in 1990 Shilton was truly world-class, but Des Walker was close. Anyway it doesn't matter how many individual world-class players we have - what matters is the overall strength of the team. In other words its pointless having four or five world-class forwards and midfielders if the defence and goalkeeper are third-rate.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Correct. And all more experienced than last time...
Indeed. I really think that's going to count in our favour. Terry, Rooney, both Coles, Lampard and Gerrard are all much better players than they were four years ago. IMO, of course, but lets wait and see.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here