Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Curious fact, by the New Year in Micky Adams's first full season at the club....

......we were 15th with 31 points.

And that was in a league lower than where Dean Wilkins' team is now.

Goes to show it's WAY early to be talking down what Wilkins can achieve for this club. Did the same people do that about Micky Adams? (silly question, of course they did :lolol: )

OK, we know Wilkins will have to go some to dig up a Zamora but a positive end to the season is perfectly possible if you've had a fairly average first half.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
All true...except we were elated at coming back to Brighton, we had the 2nd biggest budget in the division, we expected to get Falmer shortly, we were a desirable club on the back of all that for a lower league club and Micky Adams had a track record for getting teams promoted from League 3 and we'd just had a narrow escape two seasons running from going out of the league. So any success was a BIG improvement.

Which bits still apply and where are we better off? I think you're gonna struggle to make an argument for any of the above to be positively comparable to our current situation, except the League we are playing in this time round :lol:

Last edited:

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
People used to moan about MA before (and during) the first Championship winning season.

I remember being at Northampton away - we were winning - and it was still a very muted Micky Adams Blue and White Army.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
MA rebuilt pretty much the entire squad. The team took time to gel. We were utter gash for about four years prior to that season (not that I am questioning DW because he is the way forward).

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
London Irish said:

Goes to show it's WAY early to be talking down what Wilkins can achieve for this club. Did the same people do that about Micky Adams? (silly question, of course they did :lolol: )

OK, we know Wilkins will have to go some to dig up a Zamora but a positive end to the season is perfectly possible if you've had a fairly average first half.

Good post.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
London Irish said:

Was very different then though. Everyone was so pleased to be back in Brighton it didn't really matter what happened on the pitch. But you're right, it is way too early to be talking about what Wilkins can achieve with this club. I reckon he's going to be a hit in the long run. How many other clubs can say that they have a genuine fan in charge?

Icy Gull said:
All true...except we were elated at coming back to Brighton, we had the 2nd biggest budget in the division, we expected to get Falmer shortly, we were a desirable club on the back of all that for a lower league club and Micky Adams had a track record for getting teams promoted from League 3 and we'd just had a narrow escape two seasons running from going out of the league. So any success was a BIG improvement.

Which bits still apply and where are we better off? I think you're gonna struggle to make an argument for any of the above to be positively comparable to our current situation, except the League we are playing in this time round :lol:

Elated coming back the Brighton - yes, we are tired of Withdean now, that's a big negative.
2nd biggest budget in the league - just goes to show even with money, good managers can tread water for a bit. This reflects well on Wilkins compared to the early troubles that Adams had, a sort of a positive.
We expected to get Falmer shortly - we are much closer to our goal now than we were back then, even though we have this niggly last battle, a big positive.
Adams' track record - true, Wilkins is inexperienced, a sort of a negative.
Narrow escapes from Conference compared with relegation from Championship - this really is all about realistic expectations.

Brighton fans have to ask themselves the question, have we found our level in the league structure? The answer for me is obvious, midtable League 1 is a decent level for a club with our significant financial problems. That may not suit the inflated pride of some Brighton fans, but their negativity should not affect the judgment of the rest of us.

It's time to be generous to the club and Wilkins, yes, we all want signings that will get us further up the table, but it will not be the end of the world if they don't all come through. For me, our current situation in fighting our corner up and down midtable League 1 is a positive.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
London Irish said:
Brighton fans have to ask themselves the question, have we found our level in the league structure? The answer for me is obvious, midtable League 1 is a decent level for a club with our significant financial problems. That may not suit the inflated pride of some Brighton fans, but their negativity should not affect the judgment of the rest of us.

Spot on with that one. I think we are around our natural level given all we have at our disposal - both the good things and the bad.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
It is patently clear that the youngsters tend to perform better on the road, when they have a noisy and boisterous crowd behind them. It comes as no great surprise that we have won more league games on the road, than we have at home.

It has been a baptism of fire, being thrown in without having been able to run preseason as he saw fit and I think he has adapted well so far. He is brave and is not afraid to change things round. There has been some activity in the transfer market which bodes well, as we will need all the bodies we can take in the for final third.

We just need to see this period of (slight) uncertainty out and add some experience to our ranks. We are soooo close to the final 'Yes' and there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
London Irish said:
Elated coming back the Brighton - yes, we are tired of Withdean now, that's a big negative.
2nd biggest budget in the league - just goes to show even with money, good managers can tread water for a bit. This reflects well on Wilkins compared to the early troubles that Adams had, a sort of a positive.
We expected to get Falmer shortly - we are much closer to our goal now than we were back then, even though we have this niggly last battle, a big positive.
Narrow escapes from Conference compared with relegation from Championship - this really is all about realistic expectations.

It's time to be generous to the club and Wilkins, yes, we all want signings that will get us further up the table, but it will not be the end of the world if they don't all come through. For me, our current situation in fighting our corner up and down midtable League 1 is a positive.

Possibly your best ever post, LI. Absolutely spot on.

Yoda

English & European
London Irish said:

Yery good point, nad we ended it 14 games unbeaten. :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Correct but in the last 14 games we

Won 8
Drew 6
Lost 0
Points 30

We also had Zamora who scored 6 in 6.

I cannot see us going on that sort on run can you ???

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
London Irish said:

the trouble is only about 3000 will feel the same come renewal time LI

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Funny thing is in the last 3 or even 4 seasons our away record has been comparatively better than our home record.

Its no longer "fortress" Withdean which is a shame.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
It's difficult because good results seem to be clumped together and bad results seem to be clumped together. The results aren't sporadic in nature which means discontent isn't appeased by a good result.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Uncle Spielberg said:
Correct but in the last 14 games we

Won 8
Drew 6
Lost 0
Points 30

We also had Zamora who scored 6 in 6.

I cannot see us going on that sort on run can you ???

It was an incredible run, saw most of those 14. That started after a 1-0 defeat at Northampton where we absolutely battered them, keeper had a stormer and our players left to a near-standing ovation from the 1,500 there. I couldn't believe where we were in the table after that loss, a little bit like now with the talent there. We're not playing well, but it just need to click, and I'm sure it will.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Les Biehn said:
It's difficult because good results seem to be clumped together and bad results seem to be clumped together. The results aren't sporadic in nature which means discontent isn't appeased by a good result.

But post-modernism is the real route of the problem.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Commander said:
But post-modernism is the real route of the problem.

I wouldn't say that, but certainly the permiations of it through our culture has resulted in people not caring about the feelings of those involved with the club.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Les Biehn said:

Yeah thats spot on Les. Its like lose 3 or 4 then win 3 or 4 then lose again etc etc...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here