Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cup glory on Feb 1st.1967

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
(Dedicated to Fazz)

Slightly before I had started watching, on 1st Feb 1967 Albion played Aldershot in a 3rd round FA Cup replay. I am indebted to 'On This Day' which throws up some interesting points.

Bearing in mid we were mid div 3 and Shots were div 4, the crowd was an incredible 29,000 and that followed on from nearly 13,000 in the away tie. This generated record receipts of £6,250, undoubtable beaten soon after by the 4th round tie v Chelsea, which was a full house of 35,000.

Local lad Eric Whittington, Kit napier and Charlie Livesey scored and, apparently, Livesey became the 1st substitute to ever score for the Albion. The final score was 3-1.

A couple of years later, on this day in 1969, I was there to see Freddie Goodwin's side beat Shrewsbury 3-0 in a pretty comfortable match memorable by a goal from Albion skipper nobby Lawton. The Shres keeper kicked the ball out from the edge of his area and lawton, on the half-way line, caught it on the volley to send it straight back over the startled keeper's head.

Fazz62

Aug 27, 2008
(Dedicated to Fazz)

Slightly before I had started watching, on 1st Feb 1967 Albion played Aldershot in a 3rd round FA Cup replay. I am indebted to 'On This Day' which throws up some interesting points.

Bearing in mid we were mid div 3 and Shots were div 4, the crowd was an incredible 29,000 and that followed on from nearly 13,000 in the away tie. This generated record receipts of £6,250, undoubtable beaten soon after by the 4th round tie v Chelsea, which was a full house of 35,000.

FG

Did the Aldershot match happen at the same ground they play at nowadays?
As when i saw them play on the TV in the BSq looked like the ground would only hold about 6,000, not 13,000. That you could only stand on 3 sides of the ground?

If so, you must have been pissing in each others pockets throughout the match that day, because of the crush!! :lol:

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
seem to remember the original tie at aldershot was one of the drabbest of 0-0 draws on a wet and windy day. I stood in a shed behind the goal with my dad and had little to cheer. For the replay I was stood on the east terrace. Kit Napier was my all time hero (although I modelled my game on right back Stewart Henderson). I remember Charlie Livesey as a real Jack the lad and Eric Whittington as a gangly 6'4" who had surprisingly good ball control and a fair shot on him.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
seem to remember the original tie at aldershot was one of the drabbest of 0-0 draws on a wet and windy day.

It was indeed...LOL..!

The 29,000 crowd for the replay, was in part, due to the fact that we knew the winners would be at home to Chelsea inthe 4th round.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I well remember the tie at Aldershot - it was the first time I saw the Albion. As for there being thirteen thousand in the ground, I can well believe it - there were no seats, at least not on most of the ground, in those days, and it was the tightest packed crowd I've ever been in - and that includes 35,000 at the Goldstone for the Bournmouth match in 71/72, and I've been on the old Kop at Anfield.
For large periods of time at the Recreation Ground in 1967, it was possible to take both feet off the ground at once for quite long periods!

wolfie

Jul 19, 2003
Warwickshire
(Dedicated to Fazz)

Local lad Eric Whittington, Kit napier and Charlie Livesey scored and, apparently, Livesey became the 1st substitute to ever score for the Albion. The final score was 3-1.

A couple of years later, on this day in 1969, I was there to see Freddie Goodwin's side beat Shrewsbury 3-0 in a pretty comfortable match memorable by a goal from Albion skipper nobby Lawton. The Shres keeper kicked the ball out from the edge of his area and lawton, on the half-way line, caught it on the volley to send it straight back over the startled keeper's head.

Sad to say I was at all three of those matches. When the replay took place we already knew it was Chelsea next - hence the crowd size and the amazing overnight queues for tickets. The Aldershot replay was almost rained off - I remember it was rumoured as we travelled up there by special train.
Remember Tommy Docherty & the Chelsea babes being kicked off the pitch before the start - in the days before pre-match warm ups.
Also went to the replay at Stamford Bridge. Amazing night (probably over 60000. Carried back to the tube station without my feet touching the ground - such was the size of the crowd (I was 17 !!)

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Yes fazz, it was the self same Rec. Although this game was before my time, I have been to the Rec when there's been almost as many people, mainly Albion.

Those were the days before health & safety was discovered and the turnstyles would click just as long as there was somebody wanting to come in. Think people must have been a lot slimmer then too!

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Was trying to remember who scored the disallowed "winning goal" at home to chelsea - a Brian Tawse volley from distance I think and someone ahead of him given offside. Watched it on TV the next day and we all screamed the house down that it should have been allowed - it would have been nowadays

Yes fazz, it was the self same Rec. Although this game was before my time, I have been to the Rec when there's been almost as many people, mainly Albion.

Yes, who can forget those trips in the mid-seventies; we were in the East Bank two seasons running, I believe. I'll also admit to being on the pitch when the crossbar had it's "accident", although I was near the centre circle at the time. Taylor's Army!

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Yes, who can forget those trips in the mid-seventies; we were in the East Bank two seasons running, I believe. I'll also admit to being on the pitch when the crossbar had it's "accident", although I was near the centre circle at the time. Taylor's Army!

Oh yes, we were breaking crossbars long before 1996. Mind you, this was blatant hooliness as Albion blew promotion over the Easter weekend and was a pitch invasion at the end of the game.

It's funny that I don't remember the same thing happening at the previos game.....against millwall at The Den!

Fazz62

Aug 27, 2008
Oh yes, we were breaking crossbars long before 1996. Mind you, this was blatant hooliness as Albion blew promotion over the Easter weekend and was a pitch invasion at the end of the game.

It's funny that I don't remember the same thing happening at the previos game.....against millwall at The Den!

FG & N's

Before you say to much!!

I feel you should be aware that Sussex Police have never closed the case on the criminal damage that occured to the cross bar in the Albion's match against York in 1996!!

Attachments

• GOLD3_s.jpg
    GOLD3_s.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
I still wear the t-shirt and it fits like a glove.....which is not very good for a shirt!

Was trying to remember who scored the disallowed "winning goal" at home to chelsea - a Brian Tawse volley from distance I think and someone ahead of him given offside. Watched it on TV the next day and we all screamed the house down that it should have been allowed - it would have been nowadays

It was Brian Tawse.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here