Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cullip, Virgo, Harding, Currie, Knight - did we miss them?

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
Of all those, I reckon only Currie would have made a substantial difference to the outcome of this season.

A creative player and a proven goalscorer would have made the difference.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Cullip - for his ability yes, for the alleged bullying of younger players absolutely not.
Virgo - yes, possibly the best player we have produced in a generation, sad to see him rotting in Celtic reserves.
Harding - I thought that he was a decent player, I know that others had problems with his attitude.
Currie - didn't see enough of him play to pass judgement.
Knight - we miss his goals, but his petulance used to drive me up the wall, I prefer someone to let their results do the talking.

If we hadn't needed the money at the time then probably all of the above would have stayed a little longer.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Yes we do miss most of them.

Probably Currie, Virgo and Harding the most.

Currie - great at set pieces and highly creative

Virgo - Utility man who could play all over the park

Harding - Natural Left back, which we have dearly missed.

Cullip? Maybe, but he has struggled for Forest in the league below and McShane was more than a good enough replacement.

Knight? Maybe. If it was top form Knight, then yes. But the Leon we saw for most of the season, then no. I couldn't see him finding the net. If we had GNW with Knight, then I suspect he would have scored a lot more.

Iuwelmo? Unproven or tested at this level.

Last edited:

We badly missed the first 4 for a variety of reasons. Recruiting Iwelumo would have been controversial given that we had the same type of player in Big Mac.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
The Celtic fans hate Virgo, rumours he's been getting threads to injure his pets if he doesn't improve or move on in the summer. Surely he would relish a return to us next season??

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
crodonilson said:
The Celtic fans hate Virgo, rumours he's been getting threads to injure his pets if he doesn't improve or move on in the summer. Surely he would relish a return to us next season??

What pets are they then?

Repugnant Toad said:
Still second-top scorer, having played only half a season.
Yes, second joint top scorer in open play with the centre-back :drink:

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Harding we missed for the first half but the emergence of Lynch has meant we haven;t in the second half.

Currie, I think we've missed the most. The most effective creative player we've had by far.

Virgo, we've missed his heart, although I'm not sure he'd have had the same impact up front again, and don't think he'd have got in the defence regularly.

Knight, miss the goals and creative spark.

Cullip, not really missed him too much. Could have done with his leadership qualities since Oatway's injury.

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
Virgo - absolutely key difference between us staying up and going down last year.

I also thought Cullip was a big influence on the team and cannot understand why so many knock him. I'd love to have him back.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Cullip - Yes, the guvnor
Virgo - Yes, although I think people do go a little bit over the top with him. Fantastic utility player but was at fault for a few goals.
Currie - Yes, could have been the creative midfielder we needed (although he didn't always play when he was here).
Harding - Not since Lynch broke through.
Knight - At his best, yes. Just we (and seemingly Swansea now) didn't see his best that often.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
Silent Bob said:

Virgo, we've missed his heart, although I'm not sure he'd have had the same impact up front again, and don't think he'd have got in the defence regularly.

On what planet exactly would Virgo not have been an automatic choice?

caz

Aug 10, 2005
On the Left Wing said:
plus should we have done more to have kept loan players such as Iwelumo

Discuss ....

When all these players were playing, Nicolas was then playing every game with them.We played passing football then.
Seems like yeards ago...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here