Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Crystal Palace vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Yes.
Having seen it multiple times now, perhaps Montoya was a yard away, but fine margins.

I immediately felt Webster hadn’t done enough (again fine margins), and I still feel that way. Should have been closer to Montoya....

However, as my post last night still in pleased [emoji2][emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Could you have imagined, even in your wildest dreams in the summer that we’d be going to Selhurst, playing them off the pitch and not have to defend at all until the last 20? I heard some stat that since Palace were promoted that was the first game in which they didn’t have a shot on target in the first half at Selhurst. The turnaround by us is unbelievable. A joy to watch this season and still an early work in progress. Staying up is good enough for me, get the Summer signings right (doubt we’ll do much in January) and we just might set this division alight next season. My enthusiasm for Potterball knows no bounds :clap:

The criticism of Montoya who was arguably MOM and got caught out by a very skilfull player and a great goal is very harsh imo. His play going forward shows exactly why he played for top La Liga teams. We are a very very tough crowd these days.

This is the best football I have ever seen from the Albion and it annoys me that people still want to have a moan (not talking about you btw)

bomber130

bomber130
Jun 10, 2011
66% possesion to their 34%.
10 shots on target to their 4 and yet still end up hanging on for the draw.
We really need to get a better return for our efforts.
Desperately need a finisher.
Happy with an away point, just pissed off by keep having to say it after dominating most of the game.
Off to work.

I wonder what the possession stats were up to the 70 min mark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London
Biggest frustration today was Trossard. Great at taking up positions in space, first to the ball but EVERY final ball went to them. Every. Single. One. Aargh :rant:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seemed to me he’d been given instructions to stay wide and not always play the easy ball. So many of his passes were the potentially defense splitting rather than a more simple lay off. Frustrating lots went astray but good having someone trying something cutting.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Lovely to read this quote from Clinton Morrison on the BBC's website:

"I like what Brighton are doing. A new manager has come in and they're playing exciting football - but I don't think that is Crystal Palace.

Under Roy Hodgson they are never going to change. Hodgson is really good at what he does; he sets them up to be hard to beat and they play a lot on the counter-attack.

But when they lose Wilfried Zaha - and it's going to happen either in January or the summer - they are going to have to change their style of football because they aren't going to have Zaha there who can win a game individually."

I'll be forever grateful to Chris Hughton for the job he did at Brighton. We would not be where we are without him and I don't just mean the promotion and the first season in the PL. Last year, when we were collapsing, he did what he did in his first year. He went back to basics and set up not to concede. It wasn't good to watch, it relied on a bit of luck and playing the percentages, but it's ultimate success meant that we are still in the Premier League.

However, nobody who watched tonight can still be asking why Brighton changed managers. Roy Hodgson is doing the same pragmatic, organised and spirit inducing job that Chris did and that Hodgson did at Fulham, and West Brom, but there is not a single Palace fan who could come on here and honestly say that they would not swap him for the promise of someone like Potter. They reached for this when they appointed De Boer and they bottled it when the risks became obvious quickly. The fact that, in just six months we show every sign of succeeding where they failed in comical fashion must be eating them up inside.

As Brighton fans we have all felt the fleeting but wondrous joy of an ill-deserved smash and grab point. However, very few football fans ever get to feel that their team will be capable of beating virtually any other team that it plays. Considering the unfeasibly monied competition we face, it would be ridiculous and arrogant to suggest that Potter may ever bring us that feeling, but at the moment, it's starting to seem like he may be getting us closer to that than we have ever been before or are ever likely to be again. Let's enjoy the ride.

Another excellent and well considered post from one of my favourite posters on here :thumbsup:

HalfaSeatOn

Mar 17, 2014
North West Sussex
Not Montoya's greatest fan but he looked really sharp down the right - good to have him back on that form. The main comparator for me was Trossard and Zaha on the left. What a gulf in quality. Trossard's successful pass ratio can't have been great. Ironically, Trossards assist came when he switched to the right.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Not Montoya's greatest fan but he looked really sharp down the right - good to have him back on that form. The main comparator for me was Trossard and Zaha on the left. What a gulf in quality. Trossard's successful pass ratio can't have been great. Ironically, Trossards assist came when he switched to the right.
Gross got the assist, frustrating the one time we get the cross in first time Palace are a mess in the box.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
You gotta love the BBC

Breakfast TV

“Highlights” playing showing just Zahahaha’s goal obviously...

“Only one game in Premiership last night, where Wilfred Zahahaha stole the show, rescuing a point for Palace”

��

:rant::rant::rant::rant::rant::rant::rant::rant: and :rant::rant::rant::rant:

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
It's all opinions but what on earth were you watching tonight? I thought Bissouma had a great game, plenty of possession, forward runs and tackles. Occasionally (like everyone else) lacked the final ball but otherwise a really strong performance, so much so that I'd be tempted to keep him for Saturday over Stephens.

See #626 :annoyed::kiss:

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Burnley and West Ham at home plus Newcastle and Palace away. Four draws that absolutely should have been wins and eight points not pocketed. Those eight points would have us sat in 5th right now. So frustrating, as the pessimist in me can't help looking over my shoulder at the chasing pack, that is a lot closer than it should be.

I'm sure we'll be fine. Once we get the knack of putting games to bed this team will be a sight to see.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
You gotta love the BBC

Breakfast TV

“Highlights” playing showing just Zahahaha’s goal obviously...

“Only one game in Premiership last night, where Wilfred Zahahaha stole the show, rescuing a point for Palace”

��

I'm fine with that to be honest. The more they talk him up, the more he'll want to leave. When that transfer finally happens they are Donald Ducked.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Looking back on this with a clearer head as I was bloody angry last night, we played some incredible stuff last night.

Our midfield and defence ran them ragged, but tets be honest here, that is the worst palace team I have seen for many a year. There again, we never let them anywhere near the ball for 80% of that game.

The only negative and let’s hope this doesn’t come back to burn us, is the ability to convert possession into goal scoring ( and taking ) opportunities. I know Leicester are an exceptional team, but look at the way when they broke away the speed they got the ball to their attackers and headed straight for the goal. We tend to break out and then stop and wait for the rest of the midfield to join in the party.

Having said all that, magnificent effort

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
Looking back on this with a clearer head as I was bloody angry last night, we played some incredible stuff last night.

Our midfield and defence ran them ragged, but tets be honest here, that is the worst palace team I have seen for many a year. There again, we never let them anywhere near the ball for 80% of that game.

The only negative and let’s hope this doesn’t come back to burn us, is the ability to convert possession into goal scoring ( and taking ) opportunities. I know Leicester are an exceptional team, but look at the way when they broke away the speed they got the ball to their attackers and headed straight for the goal. We tend to break out and then stop and wait for the rest of the midfield to join in the party.

Think I’ll borrow this as my match summary too. Was pretty peed off last night, bloody Palace eh?!

Rodney Thomas

May 2, 2012
Ελλάδα
Burnley and West Ham at home plus Newcastle and Palace away. Four draws that absolutely should have been wins and eight points not pocketed. Those eight points would have us sat in 5th right now. So frustrating, as the pessimist in me can't help looking over my shoulder at the chasing pack, that is a lot closer than it should be.

I'm sure we'll be fine. Once we get the knack of putting games to bed this team will be a sight to see.

But that's not how football works, they'll be games we don't deserve anything and but still get something. You cant just look at the missed opportunities. We are playing exciting football that is fun to watch, football entertainment, what more could you want?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Didn't sleep well at all, still angry man after last night.

10 shost on target on the road, it will come though

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Think I’ll borrow this as my match summary too. Was pretty peed off last night, bloody Palace eh?!
As saying elsewhere

I don't see how you can be peed off with the result after such a magnificent effort.

Sure start judging the team (recruitment) harshly if these types of games are still being played out in 4/12/18 months time, but TBH right now I don't care about 'dropping 2 points, esp to them' when watching us play like that.

I've waited 40+ years to say 'nice' and 'oh wow' 20 times in one half of Albion football.
I'm not going to let a little thing like 2 points take that enjoyment away from me.

Last edited:

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
But that's not how football works, they'll be games we don't deserve anything and but still get something. You cant just look at the missed opportunities. We are playing exciting football that is fun to watch, football entertainment, what more could you want?

All true. All fair enough. In terms of what more I could want? Just to feel a little safer than we are, as befits the lovely stuff we're playing. That's being greedy though. I really am enjoying the season. Promise.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013

Fully agree -another commanding away performance, which was great to watch. Only slight disappointment for me, apart from what you mention above, was the amount of times Trossard gave the ball away, though our passing was really good, crisp and accurate, when in the past we have been rightly criticised for giving the ball away.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here