Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Crumplin our football hero!!

Aug 9, 2003
East Sussex
Just read on the website that we are on the football focus cult heroes thing tomorrow.

It appears our featured nominations are Steve Foster, Peter Ward and........

John Crumplin.

Am I missing something?

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Norman Gall said:
Just read on the website that we are on the football focus cult heroes thing tomorrow.

It appears our featured nominations are Steve Foster, Peter Ward and........

John Crumplin.

Am I missing something?

Obviously. He was a legend. A football genius if you like. That shoulder dip was executed with perfection.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
The vote is for 'cult heroes' not best players

He obviously got at least the third most nominations
If it was 'cult heroes' i would've voted for him or John Byrne

ILOVEBHA

Jul 27, 2004
Shoreham By Sea
Who voted for these 3 selections
How can Crumplin get in ahead of Zamora, Case, Gatting, Lawrenson,Even Dean Wilkins with his sweet left foot.
I am very confused...

The Auditor

Sep 30, 2004
Villiers Terrace
ILOVEBHA said:
Who voted for these 3 selections
How can Crumplin get in ahead of Zamora, Case, Gatting, Lawrenson,Even Dean Wilkins with his sweet left foot.
I am very confused...

...Cult hero....not best footballer

Ex-Staffs Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Adelaide, SA
CULT HERO, not ability or skill, and anybody who followed Albion (especially 1991) will remember he was a Cult hero, even deserving a column of his own in a newspaper declaring forget Gazza mania, Crumplin mania hit Brighton.

He was is and will always be a Brighton CULT hero.

Seeing him Nutmeg John Barnes at Anfield will live with me forever

'Johnny Crumplin Football Genius' :clap2:

Cult hero, fine. But be honest, deep down he was a crap player! A great servant for the Albion, always gave 100% but somehow his 100% wasn't that much.
But I'd vote for him. He's the sort of player who REAL football fans appreciate. Maybe not that great, just committed. A bit like most of us (except he was a better player than most of us!)
:clap:

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
StaffsGull said:

Up there in my list of all time favourite Albion memories
:clap:

Nearly as good, but not quite, was the Exeter player nutmegging Ronaldo this week.
:lolol:

Last edited:

binary

Oct 4, 2004
South East Guildford
An absolute legend who will live long in the memory. With a lack of natural talent he mde up for it with grit and determination.

Who cares if the final list includes him - he is a cult hero. I would rather have players with his attitude than some of our better paid 'stars' who haven't given a shit for this club.

Will always remember his thunderbolt at Blackpool in the 87/88 season. Sorry to many of you on here who were not born then but it was a classic!

Wish I still had my t-shirt proclaiming his football genius. Perhaps we need to develop some new ones for the current team??

Aug 9, 2003
East Sussex
keaton said:
The vote is for 'cult heroes' not best players

He obviously got at least the third most nominations
If it was 'cult heroes' i would've voted for him or John Byrne

OK, it's about the only explanation that makes sense.

But where did the nominations come from? I've not seen anything asking me for my nominations, have you?

wehatepalace

Limbs
NSC Patron
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
who was responsible for having the t-shirts made i seem too remember perry digweed had one to (safe as house the goalie in the trousers)
:lolol: truley marvelous nostalgic scenes
i also remember when the junior seagulls first started we used to train in hove church hall and johnny crumplin used to come down and coach us ! what a great guy always had plenty of time for us and really was albion through and through:bowdown:

Last edited:

Aug 9, 2003
East Sussex
StaffsGull said:
CULT HERO, not ability or skill, and anybody who followed Albion (especially 1991) will remember he was a Cult hero,

He was is and will always be a Brighton CULT hero.

Yes, I was at the Anfield game and remember that.

However, it wasn't always so was it? Correct me if I'm wrong but I remember being in the South Stand for a match (against Bournemouth I think) when Crumplin got booed when his name was read out at the start of match. I remember Kevin Bremner was taking warm up shots at the time and I saw him shaking his head when it happened. Wasn't Crumplin for a long time regarded as one of Barry Lloyd's non-league non-entities?

I'm 80% sure it was Crumplin being booed that day. As I say correct me if I'm wrong.

Jul 20, 2003
StaffsGull said:
Still have mine, bit moth eaten, but NEVER thrown out.....

still have mine, in a box somewhere with a 'Nobo' shirt and a 'Colin Pates - He's My Mate' T-Shirt

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here