Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Croydon - "... this once proud town."!!

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Letter from a travel agent in Travel Weekly today.

"We are looking hard at whether Croydon will ever recover from the shame and suffering that a group of lawless individuals has brought to this once proud town".

Now I certainly sympathise with the people who live and work in Croydon, but "once proud town"?

When exactly did Croydon have anything to be proud about? Croydon ... proud??? Not two words I would ever expect to find in the same sentence.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Alders was quite good back in the day

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Being proud of Croydon is about the same as being proud of Basildon or Luton.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Used to have London's international airport?

Croydon Airport was an airport in South London which straddled the boundary between what are now the London boroughs of Croydon and Sutton. Croydon was the first airport in the world to introduce air traffic control, in 1921. It was the main airport for London before it was replaced by Northolt Aerodrome, London Heathrow Airport and London Gatwick Airport. Both the terminal building and entrance lodge are Grade II listed buildings.

Elvis

Mar 22, 2010
Viva Las Hove
They're very proud of the fact that they have had a football team in the top two divisions for 35 years!

bazbha

Mar 18, 2011
Hailsham
I used to live there with a student girl i met when I was based in Caterham & ended up getting a tattoo with Croydon in it! Oh the shame now!! Luckily its on my upper arm so I can hide it well. The things you do when your young & live above a tattoo shop!! :eek:

Last edited:

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Croydon was once a large town in Surrey. It had leafy suburbs and a good reputation.
Then it became the london borough of Croydon.............

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
I used to live there with a student girl i met when I was based in Caterham & ended up getting a tattoo with Croydon in it! Oh the shame now!! Luckily its on my upper arm so I can hide it well. The things you do when your young & live above a tattoo shop!! :eek:

I know two people with CR0 tattoed on their neck! Funny as fook!

Personally I love living in Croydon, the people don't take themselves too seriously, full of loads of odd balls like myself and cheap as chips to rent or buy.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I was always very proud to come from Croydon, for years after I moved to Sussex if anybody asked me where I came from I'd always say 'Croydon'. (Well I certainly wasn't going to say 'Lancing' which was where I ended up).

Back in the early-mid 1960s when I lived there Croydon was considered very modern and progressive. The Fairfield Halls, the flyover, the underpass (both quite new for Britain) and the row of skyscrapers (called 'mini-Manhattan') all gave it a really modern air.

SICKASAGULL

Aug 26, 2007
Croydon has an excellent shopping area,Whitgift Centre, plus Allders also the Fairfield Halls for shows and music,went up last week and the shopping area was deserted, understand they are now offering free tram trips into Croydon following the riots.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here