Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Crowds at Falmer

If our first league game of the 2011/12 season is away from home then there is every chance that the first competitive game at Falmer will be in the first round of the League Cup against Accrington Stanley.

Wouldn't that be an anti-climax?

No!

first match at Withdean. hardly anti climatic was it?

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Did you go in 1991? You literally couldn't SEE a third of the pitch from the away terrace because of that supermarket.

So you see, I'm afraid that's right-on bollocks IMO.

No, I was a bit young then. I suspect you're exagerrating a little, but I'd probably still rather stand even then.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I am concerned that the posted crowds published now, count season-ticket holders as a "given" whether they turn up or not.

In other words crowds are always "season-tickets plus however many pay outside or through the turnstiles" for the game in question.
I believe this is a tactic that many clubs have used to boost their alleged attendances, the sight of many ground TV highlights shows a staggering number of empty seating in even the Championship matches.

I know it would be difficult to record how many season-ticket holders actually turn up, but it does give a misleading impression, IMHO.

The attendance figures are the amount of bodies through the turnstiles, this has been asked a few times in the past.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
I know at least 10 people who never or hardly ever go to Withdean but WILL go to falmer.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Championship average = 20k+
league 1 average= 12-14k+
league 2 average= 10k

Its just a guessing game but i would guess the first couple of home games will sell out regardless of what division we are in.:whisky:

I would hazard a guess we will do 8k+season tickets aswel:D

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
No, I was a bit young then. I suspect you're exagerrating a little, but I'd probably still rather stand even then.
I said a third, I meant a quarter, but still.

You have no idea how irritating it is trying to watch a match when you can't see anything on the far side of the pitch, nearest the goal you're standing. Honestly, it was ridiculous.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I said a third, I meant a quarter, but still.

You have no idea how irritating it is trying to watch a match when you can't see anything on the far side of the pitch, nearest the goal you're standing. Honestly, it was ridiculous.
Even at the front?!

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
The pic tells the story. Maybe right at the very front, but that terrace was fairly full and for about half of our fans, a quarter of the pitch couldn't be seen.

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
While we are on the subject of travelling to Falmer, is nobody going to organise coach travel to and from Falmer from the outskirts. I live 20 miles from Parkhead and about 25 miles from Ibrox and their are coaches organised every week for HOME games.
When you travel up north you will often see coachloads of supporters travelling to HOME games and im not just talking about Man U and Liverpool. Derby, Stoke, Leeds, Nottm For. etc all have supporters groups who organise coach travel for HOME games.
I used to live in Newhaven and if i knew their was a coach travelling from Seaford through Newhaven, Peacehaven, Saltdean, Rottingdean and onto Falmer, I would be happy to use this rather than getting a train to Falmer and having to hang around for ages aftter the game trying to get home.
Im sure the same could be organised from places like Worthing, Haywards heath etc. Its not expensive to hire a coach and only needs someone to start up local supporters clubs.

coventrygull

the right one
Jun 3, 2004
Bridlington Yorkshire
The crowds at the Ricoh have been dropping each season. The novelty of a new ground can soon wear off. At the end of the day its what happens on the pitch

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here