Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Crowd turning on individuals

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Is this a regular occurence?

Wayne Henderson and Colin Hawkins are the ONLY players i've ever seen individually booed off by Albion support. Is it an Irish thing?

SeagullRic

Jan 13, 2008
brighton
No. Some people didn't like Henderson because they prefered Kuipers, Hawkins was booed off because he didn't play very well.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Is this a regular occurence?

Wayne Henderson and Colin Hawkins are the ONLY players i've ever seen individually booed off by Albion support. Is it an Irish thing?

No, the Albion crowd have always been about as supportive as a paper jockstrap of anyone going through a lean patch, and have always had scapegoats, going back to the likes of Poskett, Maybank, McNab, Gordon Smith, Mark Farringdon, Dean Wilkins, John Crumplin (possibly the only player to have turned the crowd round to be honest) and many, many others.

bhadeb

Jan 11, 2008
Some people in the crowd had a pop at Cox and Robinson last season i think whilst they were warming up

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Don't spoil WW's thread Mendoza. He has made it up, but who are you to tell him his imagination is wrong? :shootself

Made it up? Yeah, obviously I made up something I witnessed first hand. :rolleyes:

Booing, ironic jeers and sarcastic applause. Not EVERYONE joined in, but a fair few did...and that's not something i've seen happen much.

steward 433

Back and better
Nov 4, 2007
Brighton
Made it up? Yeah, obviously I made up something I witnessed first hand. :rolleyes:

Booing, ironic jeers and sarcastic applause. Not EVERYONE joined in, but a fair few did...and that's not something i've seen happen much.

I didn't hear any booing from down the front of the stands.

More like Mendoza said ironic cheering.

Must have been up near the back of the stands if i didn't hear any.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
I've spoken with a couple of league managers in the past, and the crowd getting at the players can, if you are lucky, be turned to your advantage.

At team talks the team will be told "f*** the crowd, they are just ignorant. Fight for each other not the supporters".

I am not saying this will be Micky's approach at Brighton.

bristolseagull

Jul 5, 2003
Lindfield
I boo EVERY player equally, irrespective of their performance, just to ensure they don't feel left out.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
It came home to me just how much the players can here at the Derby game.

The linesman at the East End of the pitch (in front of the South stand) had just failed to give an offside for the first Derby goal. At the time we also thought he had failed to spot a foul on the keeper (subsequently.....arguable, but not the point). Lino was having a bad one and we were letting him know about it in Block D.

Michel and a couple of other Albion players were warming up along the touchline, so at the appropriate time I shouted "Michel - give that lino a clip will you". Michel turned round, grinned and then pretended to prod the lino from behind as he jogged past. Guffawing from the crowd - Michel waving - everyone happy.

The point is however, this was a game with a nigh on 7,000 crowd and yet Michel could clearly hear the comment and hammed it up for the crowd.

This really drove home to me that the malicious and often ill-informed shouts from individuals in the crowd aimed at specific Brighton players must be audible and must hit home.

It's easy to be brave in the relative anonymity of the crowd - maybe some of these people should consider what they are doing before they pour their vitriol repeatedly on a player. How can you possibly think that this is going to help the player improve his game??

getreal1

Aug 13, 2008

The linesman at the East End of the pitch (in front of the South stand) had just failed to give an offside for the first Derby goal. At the time we also thought he had failed to spot a foul on the keeper (subsequently.....arguable, but not the point). Lino was having a bad one and we were letting him know about it in Block D.

Michel and a couple of other Albion players were warming up along the touchline, so at the appropriate time I shouted "Michel - give that lino a clip will you". Michel turned round, grinned and then pretended to prod the lino from behind as he jogged past. Guffawing from the crowd - Michel waving - everyone happy.

The point is however, this was a game with a nigh on 7,000 crowd and yet Michel could clearly hear the comment and hammed it up for the crowd.

This really drove home to me that the malicious and often ill-informed shouts from individuals in the crowd aimed at specific Brighton players must be audible and must hit home.

It's easy to be brave in the relative anonymity of the crowd - maybe some of these people should consider what they are doing before they pour their vitriol repeatedly on a player. How can you possibly think that this is going to help the player improve his game??

Booing individuals or indeed the team cannot improve anything. Does anyone relish hearing opposing fans booing their own players? Yes? Of course you do because it means that things are going badly and that people are not together. If a player is not for you, write to Micky Adams, tell him why and ask him to leave the player out. In public, supporters should be with the players - you win together and when you lose, you lose together. If your wife says how rubbish you are at constructing shelves do you improve?

Fair point but I'm sure our players hear a lot worse at other grounds from the opposition's home ends and a lot more hurtful ie regarding their sexuality, mothers, being a dodgy keepaaaaa and what not.

Not saying it's right but it comes as part of the job description, sports pros do get a lot of abuse and just have to let it bounce off them. They certainly get paid enough not to worry what some drunken fool in the crowd with no professional football experience should think of them.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
Fair point but I'm sure our players hear a lot worse at other grounds from the opposition's home ends and a lot more hurtful ie regarding their sexuality, mothers, being a dodgy keepaaaaa and what not.

Not saying it's right but it comes as part of the job description, sports pros do get a lot of abuse and just have to let it bounce off them. They certainly get paid enough not to worry what some drunken fool in the crowd with no professional football experience should think of them.

Plus, we do help to pay their wages so if they play shit, then we've a right to boo...Although slagging players off for no reason other than they've had an off day is wrong.

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
I'm not into booing one player as an individual at a match (although I'll slate a player here if he deserves it) but will boo the team as a whole if it's warranted, which it has been at times over the last few years...

However, if someone wants to boo a player then why shouldn't they?

What gives a player the right to be immune from criticism and a bit of stick?...

If someone told me I was shit at my job (which I probably am) then fair enough, that is their opinion, just because these ordinary people wear stripes and can kick a bit of leather does that give them the right to have people that don't even know them to tell other people that don't even know them not to boo?

They are grown men (well, most of them), they 'should' be able to take it.

steward 433

Back and better
Nov 4, 2007
Brighton
I'm not into booing one player as an individual at a match (although I'll slate a player here if he deserves it) but will boo the team as a whole if it's warranted, which it has been at times over the last few years...

However, if someone wants to boo a player then why shouldn't they?

What gives a player the right to be immune from criticism and a bit of stick?...

If someone told me I was shit at my job (which I probably am) then fair enough, that is their opinion, just because these ordinary people wear stripes and can kick a bit of leather does that give them the right to have people that don't even know them to tell other people that don't even know them not to boo?

They are grown men (well, most of them), they 'should' be able to take it.

As much as i would never boo a player you are right.

You guys are the customers and if you do not get the service you expect then you boo.

Like you say they should be man enough to ignore it or hopefully it might gee them up a bit.

You've got to look at both sides of the coin here.

Someone told me I was shit at my job once and I went into the toilet, rested my forehead against the mirror, beat my fists into the wall a few times and let out a little sob.

So you see, it ain't nice.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here