Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Crosses: Punch vs Catch

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I think [MENTION=292]thedonkeycentrehalf[/MENTION] has nailed it. The rise in the popularity of punching the ball is symptomatic of the modern balls. Every championship Nike and Adidas seem to compete to produce a ball that has more swerve and is more likely to get goals. This has almost certainly filtered down to the umbro balls that are used in the FA Cup (which are not identical, but very similar to the umbro balls England use for home international matches) and the mitre balls used in the football league.

I'm sure if the 26 panel mitre balls from yesteryear was re-introduced, catching may make a return.

'Old style' 26 panel mitre ball:
malmo.jpg

Current football league ball, less panels, more swerve:
0,,10393~8951617,00.jpg

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
There is often a third option.

Taking the example of Liverpool's second goal on Sunday: It was a very good corner, swung in under the bar, but a little too high for a comfortable catch. What Brezovan should have done, (and what he actually DID do, with the similar ball in which led to that corner) was to tip it safely back over his bar, to allow the defence to organise themselves properly for another corner.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Has anyone else noticed that the ratio of punching to catching also depends on the quality of the cross and the movement of the players in the box?
Brez caught most things against Wrexham, but against Liverpool punches. Could this simply be put down to the fact that better players cross the ball faster, with more swerve and into more dangerous areas with the players moving in more awkward ways meaning Brez feels less comfortable catching these balls?

Additionally the last thing you want is a keeper being forced to do something he is not comfortable doing as that will be far more calamitous!

There is often a third option.

Taking the example of Liverpool's second goal on Sunday: It was a very good corner, swung in under the bar, but a little too high for a comfortable catch. What Brezovan should have done, (and what he actually DID do, with the similar ball in which led to that corner) was to tip it safely back over his bar, to allow the defence to organise themselves properly for another corner.

Agree with both of these. Brez did "get under" a couple of the crosses he has opted to punch recently, which is probably the result of the balls movement, or just a good old fashion misjudgment.

Personally I think as a top pro keeper, he should be looking to catch everytime, and only punch if he hs to go over the top of player or come a long way for a cross at a stretch. I would much rather see the keeper help the ball on its way rather than punch it, something I think Brez done at Liverpool. Punching these mordern balls with their movement is a bit of a lottery these days, whereas just getting finger tips to the ball and move it off course (if that makes sense) is an better option if catching is out of the question. If they do deceide to punch it, then a slower smoother well timed punch will send the ball a lot further, than trying to punch it as hard as you can, a bit along the lines of a decent golf swing.

Amexican

May 21, 2011
Originally Posted by Mr Smggles

Trying to catch an awkward ball can result in dropping the ball which is usually a lot worse than a shit punch.

Have you watched Liverpool's second goal?

Unfortunately I have...I was only about 2 yards from where this happened ... my suggestion...HE SHOULD HAVE CAUGHT IT!

( I was also right behind him at Wycombe a couple of seasons back when he did try to catch it and missed...same result GOAL....but fortunately we won that gane 5-2 )

i'm beginning to think it's me...so I'm not standing behind him again!

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
Depends on where the ball is coming in from and where you are, a punch to me seems more like a bit of a distress type thing and a catch show confidence. Or is that just me?

Id say you were spot on. Having played in goal at a reasonable standard i always tried to catch. In the last 10 years, punching has been the preffered teaching method to keepers. You'll not be suprised that it was introduced from the continental style of play.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Brezovan is massive, he towers over just about everyone. And the gloves are huge as well. He should be capable of jumping and catching the ball on the majority of crosses as long as he's not coming out and fighting his way past a cluster of players (which is usually a recipe for disasater in itself).

Overall I think Brezovan has done ok since he came back into the side after our shitty run over Christmas. But his punching HAS been crap - he seems to have little or no idea where the ball is going to end up, and just doesn't get the height or distance required. Millwalls first goal came as a direct result of a weak punch, and we all saw the carnage on Sunday.

Goalkeepers should be able to catch the damn thing more often than not, they have all the advantages.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here