Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Crime drops again

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
dave the gaffer said:
Surely another factor is that there is no point reporting a crime when you know nothing is going to be done about it!

My mate was burgled and the police just told him to change his locks and gave him a crime number so he could claim on the insurance.

New labour...PAH

Dave the UKIP convert
Kilroy Silk for PM

And thats why the BCS figures are a better indicator, because they give a good indication of crimes which people don't bother reporting for whatever reason. The BCS figures show that crime is falling.
I personally don't think law and order policies effect the figures much. I think it's more to do with economic factors such as unemployment and relative wealth.

What is the UKIP policy on Law and Order by the way?

Smithers-Jones

Mar 26, 2004
Eltham
Voroshilov, Central London stations are open 24 hours a day. However my nearest 3 stack up as follows:
Eltham : Monday - Saturday , closed at night

Shooters Hill: Was part time, now totally boarded up

Woolwich: Same as Eltham

Hardly sends out a positive message to the public about our policing policy does it. We have the Community Support Officers who are as usefuls as tits on a fish, and regulary get things thrown at them by our future captains of industry. Ken keeps trying to convince us that they are an effective policing tool, but all they end up doing in Central London is acting as glorified tour guides! Every time I see one round where I work they are looking at some tourist's map and pointing out the best way the Cabinet War rooms!

Sitting Room Only

Jul 5, 2003
Somewhere off the M1
Voroshilov said:
Crime figures dropped a further 5% last year and have dropped 39% since their peak in 1995.

Obviously the labour party are doing a good job, (as well as our lovely police forces)

It is my JOB to produce said crime figures for Sussex and crime was UP 2.8% last year compared to the previous year - This is the only comparison period that actually means anything.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
Re: Re: Crime drops again

Sitting Room Only said:
It is my JOB to produce said crime figures for Sussex and crime was UP 2.8% last year compared to the previous year - This is the only comparison period that actually means anything.

Sorry to be pedantic, but is that the police numbers or the BCS. Either waywhy is the comparison to the previous year the only valid figure?

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
Re: Re: Re: Crime drops again

Voroshilov said:
Sorry to be pedantic, but is that the police numbers or the BCS. Either waywhy is the comparison to the previous year the only valid figure?

Preusmably to factor out changes in the recording system, prison policy, economic conditions, legislation being different.

Sitting Room Only

Jul 5, 2003
Somewhere off the M1
Re: Re: Re: Re: Crime drops again

m20gull said:
Preusmably to factor out changes in the recording system, prison policy, economic conditions, legislation being different.

Good point but recording systems have changed so much since 1995 that comparison more than a few years old are not as accurate shall we say

You know you are on the same ball park comparing year on year

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
2.stm

(hope that worked)

A few years back, I was one of the 40,000 people interviewed as part of the national Crime Survey.

It is a very thorough piece of research that aims to get information about crimes that have been committed and reported, crimes that have been witnessed, crimes that have gone unreported and fear of crime in particular neighbourhoods.

When the survey concludes that "crime is down", it means that the number of people who have witnessed a crime or been a victim of crime in the last twelve months is lower than in the previous year. Non-reporting isn't a distorting factor, although it is possible that, over time, there could be a hidden change in people's understanding of what a "crime" is.

If, for example, binge drinking ceases to be seen as merely a social issue and comes to be understood as "criminal activity", it's possible that future Surveys might throw up higher levels of witnessed "crimes" (regardless of whether binge drinking itself goes up or down).

But, in general terms, I would agree that the Survey is one of the best sources of reliable data.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here