Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Crikey Gus doesn't sound happy in his post match interview

Comedy Steve

We're f'ing brilliant
Oct 20, 2003
BN6
Really,,,I doubt Sparrow, Vincelot, Caskey and quite a few others would share that view. But you could be right.

My understanding is that he told them exactly where they stood rather than let them believe they could get back into the squad when they aren't part of his plans.

Still struggling to see what exactly Gus himself did wrong yesterday. I honestly thought this would have been a thread full of 'should have played Buckley from the start', or similar.

ROKERITE

Dec 30, 2007
I've just listened to Gus's interview on The BBC, I presume that's the one to which the thread title refers. I thought he came across in his usual impressive way.
I am still of the opinion that, providing he stays at B&HA long enough, he will prove to be the greatest manager in the club's history.
With Poyet it is a matter of when, not if, B&HA reach The Premier League.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
To be fair Pres, creating the chances home or away hasn't really been the problem, barring Blackpool. It's the finishing the chances off which is woeful and has been for quite a while now. We get away with it to a certain extent because of the defence, but if Bridge is going to be out for any length of time, you fear that will be breached more often, till he is back.

Fair comment Kev, Blackpool was dire. Everyone wants a clinical striker in this division, but they are very very expensive. It cost Blackburn £8 million for Rhodes, Wolves had a £6.5 million striker up front yesterday and he didn't get a sniff.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
My understanding is that he told them exactly where they stood rather than let them believe they could get back into the squad when they aren't part of his plans.

Still struggling to see what exactly Gus himself did wrong yesterday. I honestly thought this would have been a thread full of 'should have played Buckley from the start', or similar.

He didnt ...but some peeps spend there entire posting life talking him down...then of course retort we are all poyet lovers ...when in fact its merely balancing out there negative posts

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Fair comment Kev, Blackpool was dire. Everyone wants a clinical striker in this division, but they are very very expensive. It cost Blackburn £8 million for Rhodes, Wolves had a £6.5 million striker up front yesterday and he didn't get a sniff.

Agreed quality is expensive. But we have so few options up front, I fail to believe that we could not have got someone in, just to give us more options in the scoring dept. Take David Connolly for example, wasn't he out of contract at the end of last season? Proven goalscorer at this level and above all his carer, very much in the Phillips mould although maybe not so good. Would you not feel he had a goal in him, coming off the bench for 30 mins? Even Vokes,ok he wasn't the greatest player to ever grace the stripes, but he was a different option where we don't have one and surely better than no option at all....Yes I know we scored three yesterday and that's good, but i'm more referring to the chances we miss.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
It is little wonder that Gus was annoyed in his interview as 2 of the 3 Wolves goals should have been avoided. The first arguably was a well worked goal. The 2nd was a terrible lunge tackle by Dunk that missed and the 3rd was a cross which a number of players should have been able to cut out the 2 central defenders, as that is their job, and Calderon who was beaten to the header. As Gus said 3 points yesterday were easy and there for the taking.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Sounds like he knows we need another striker, and central defender.

Reckon we'll get them in January.

Don Quixote

Nov 4, 2008

Palace got one for free!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Not surprised Gus threw a wobbly , Wolves score after we were in control and we manage to equalise before half time. Wolves down to 10 men. Early in the 2nd half there were 2 easy chances to make it 3-1 but then Wolves take advantage after Dunk fouls a player near the half way line and the ref allows play on. We equalise and then instead of going for the jugular we go into "steady passing build up mode" and it takes a handball in the penalty box for us to score from 12 yards and make it 3-2. A minute left of normal time and three minutes stoppage time and instead of retaining possession we invite pressure and they get a last gasp equaliser.

It wasn't fluffed , it was very poor defending. We had a man over and didn't put anyone on the goal-line.

The players let Gus down.

All of this. Gus also said in his interview that the team didn't get the basics right. It's like kids, you can tell them and tell them, but if they don't do as they're told, is it your fault?
I think there will be some players on their way in January and at the end of the season who deserve to go. The defending for the last 2 minutes of the game was terrible.

boik

The blame today falls solely at the players feet I'm afraid

Started brightly and then after 20mins stopped playing in the same way, all the great movement and passing just stopped... Can't see how anyone but the players can be blamed for that. And as for the 2nd half, yet again it was individual errors that cost us both missing golden opportunities to take the lead and some very poor defending for their goals.

I'm not saying Gus always gets it right, but today he was spot on. He made tactical changes which effected the game in a positive way, such as moving Bruno to cm. Some of the players today need to have a look at their performances and buck up their ideas as we cannot continue to draw or lose games because of missed chances again and again.

This has struck me many times. We started both halves pretty well and could/should have scored. Gis obviously got the tactics right, and explained it to the players and it was working well. However it always seems to drift away, slow down etc.

We need a vocal captian on the pitch to chew the bollocks off any players who forget what they were told to do.

Eggman

Jul 8, 2003
West Sussex
So so true, Gus has to take a lot of responsibility also and should be prepared to kick himself up the arse as well as his players.

Spot on may arse? What responsibiltiy should Gus take? He set out the team to win the game and he nailed it but for poor finishing again. Fack sake. Have a think!!

Eggman

Jul 8, 2003
West Sussex
No he didn't...He just signs the player, picks the team, selects the tactics, selects the formation, takes training, makes the subs, gives the team talk....But no, you right Grandad, as always it's f*** all to do with Poyet, nothing ever is...It's all the players, in fact I don't know why any team bothers to employ a manager at all. Honestly some people on here are so blinded towards Poyet, he be caught shagging their missus and people would say he slipped and just fell in, and kick the dirty bitch out while they buy Poyet a pint for his trouble.

f*** off. Your the most clueless person I have ever known and i only read your bullshit. What a plumb.

Feb 14, 2010
Nor should he be happy. The players are showing themselves unworthy to play for the club with the biggest crowds in the division. What makes it even worse is that the division is led by a no mark side that struggle to get 13,000 paying punters through the door and who have to rely on giving tickets away. Gus knows that with the biggest gates in the division, brings expectation. Its just how it is.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here