Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Cricket- 3rd Test, Oval, September 6th-10th, 2024, Sri Lanka tour of England

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Is it Liam Dawson, AGAIN?
Yes!

He's also scored 737 runs at an average of 56.6 and a (on the face of it) Bazball friendly strike rate of 65.6.

Even without getting into a comparison between him and Leach as bowlers (Leach took 12 wickets in his last completed game incidentally, so I don't have any objection to picking him on form), I'd want another left armer in the squad to cover for the, sadly quite likely, prospect of Leach being ill or injured for one reason or another.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Yes!

He's also scored 737 runs at an average of 56.6 and a (on the face of it) Bazball friendly strike rate of 65.6.

Even without getting into a comparison between him and Leach as bowlers (Leach took 12 wickets in his last completed game incidentally, so I don't have any objection to picking him on form), I'd want another left armer in the squad to cover for the, sadly quite likely, prospect of Leach being ill or injured for one reason or another.
Just as a quick follow up, I had a quick look at the scorecard for Somerset's ongoing game against Surrey to see how Leach is going in that (28-8-60-0 at the moment) and noticed that Archie Vaughan has the only three wickets to fall.
18 year old off spinner, son of Michael Vaughan. One previous match. I'm genuinely slightly surprised they haven't already called him up for the touring squad. :lolol:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Yes!

No surprise. He's a VERY good County player, in all aspects of the game. That's not enough though - if he were perhaps 6'8" and had mastered the reverse scoop, then he'd be worthy of a recall.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Just as a quick follow up, I had a quick look at the scorecard for Somerset's ongoing game against Surrey to see how Leach is going in that (28-8-60-0 at the moment) and noticed that Archie Vaughan has the only three wickets to fall.
18 year old off spinner, son of Michael Vaughan. One previous match. I'm genuinely slightly surprised they haven't already called him up for the touring squad. :lolol:
I think cricket folk are quite excited by him. His bowling is the lesser bow to his string, too - he's primarily a top order bat.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Surprised Raheem Ahmed was called up ahead of his 16 year old brother who took 10 wickets in a match the other day. I watched him on YouTube, gives the ball a right tweak.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I think cricket folk are quite excited by him. His bowling is the lesser bow to his string, too - he's primarily a top order bat.
Have Somerset got a spinners factory in Taunton? They've already got Leach and Bashir (and produced Bess) and now they have Vaughan. Is it something in the Mendip water?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Have Somerset got a spinners factory in Taunton? They've already got Leach and Bashir (and produced Bess) and now they have Vaughan. Is it something in the Mendip water?
Playing at CIDERABAD helps the current spinners produce, and obviously provides an incentive for their academy to focus on future prospects.

Not sure how much credit they get for Bashir who only signed there at 18 or 19, and was in the Test side about a year later?

Vaughan is obviously a Yorkie, but I guess got funnelled into the Somerset system, off the back of being at Millfield School.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
In the bowels of the County Ground...

images

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Useful response from Potts to being dropped for a 19 year old with little to no first class experience.

9-68 in the second innings to follow 3-58 in the first.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Useful response from Potts to being dropped for a 19 year old with little to no first class experience.

9-68 in the second innings to follow 3-58 in the first.
This is very selective, and UNFAIR.

He was dropped for a VERY TALL, LEFT HANDED 19 year old with no first class experience.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
This is very selective, and UNFAIR.

He was dropped for a VERY TALL, LEFT HANDED 19 year old with no first class experience.
As you might have guessed, following my ambivalent to positive view at the time, I have come to the conclusion that picking Hull was an error, so I'll hold my hands up there. Admittedly this is easy to do after we've been hammered, but in any case I like to admit when I'm straight up wrong.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here