Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Cricket- 3rd Test, Oval, September 6th-10th, 2024, Sri Lanka tour of England

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Was there yesterday. The last hour or play was absurd and I would rather they have gone off than leak all those runs, even if it meant missing some play personally. Good day out nonetheless.

I also basically predicted Brook would get out the ball before it happened. A very odd innings.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Reviewing when plumb is a sign of arrogance.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Blimey, I switch over for the cycling and check back - 6 down.

Sri Lanka deserve to win this. Or, at least, England don’t.

Jeremiah

God is great
Mar 15, 2020
Hove
A target of nearly 200 may be too much for Sri Lanka but England have approached this Test Match in a slipshod way. IMO

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Jamie Smith murdering their bowling, gets his team into a good position, then hits the ball to the fielder on the final ball before tea. England limp to 156ao, a lead of 218.

Another 30 mins of Smith after tea and the game could have been out of sight for us.

Credit to Srii Lanka but England have done their best to throw this test away.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
In many respects I hope England don’t win this. Their approach to the match, right from the Duckett fancy shots on Day 1, has been arrogant and complacent.

A chastening defeat will probably be worth more in the long run, than a reinforcement of the belief that they can play however they like and still win.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
In many respects I hope England don’t win this. Their approach to the match, right from the Duckett fancy shots on Day 1, has been arrogant and complacent.

A chastening defeat will probably be worth more in the long run, than a reinforcement of the belief that they can play however they like and still win.
If they win, they won’t learn anything

Si Gull

Way Down South
Mar 18, 2008
On top of the world
Jamie Smith murdering their bowling, gets his team into a good position, then hits the ball to the fielder on the final ball before tea. England limp to 156ao, a lead of 218.

Another 30 mins of Smith after tea and the game could have been out of sight for us.

Credit to Srii Lanka but England have done their best to throw this test away.
Agreed. BBC report gushing over Smith's innings. Yes, he played OK, took the bowling on and got away with it, right until he stupidly got out before tea. Poor batting all round by England. If they lose, hope they learn some lessons, because Australia will be a different prospect.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Another quick note on yesterday is how the light was absolutely fine to play from 10am onwards. The lights were on from about 11:30 anyway. Seems ridiculous to have been forced to play spin in the afternoon under lights.

fly high

Aug 25, 2011
in a house
Another quick note on yesterday is how the light was absolutely fine to play from 10am onwards. The lights were on from about 11:30 anyway. Seems ridiculous to have been forced to play spin in the afternoon under lights.
Should have just gone off rather than get your fast to bowl spin, stupid giving all those runs away.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012

I agree with this. We have become so complacent it is embarrassing. It seems they just try to make the most outlandish selections they can. In additionBeing attacking is one thing but our openers have basically just slogged.

Si Gull

Way Down South
Mar 18, 2008
On top of the world
I agree with this. We have become so complacent it is embarrassing. It seems they just try to make the most outlandish selections they can. In additionBeing attacking is one thing but our openers have basically just slogged.
Duckett's shot was poor for Test cricket; Lawrence's was poor for village cricket. Sometimes you have to use craft to build an innings, you can't always just slog your way to a good score.

JackB247

Sep 25, 2013
Burgess Hill
Really frustrated with how England have gone about it this test - from Pope's uber aggressive field placements to the lax approach to batting it's been a bit of a shambles. Real end of season, let's have a bit of a muck around stuff at the highest level of all.

That said, I think Sri Lanka have been a bit better this summer than people have given them credit for - some proper players in that side - and I think they would very much deserve to take a win back with them.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
A target of nearly 200 may be too much for Sri Lanka but England have approached this Test Match in a slipshod way. IMO
Yeah, about that... :ROFLMAO:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here