Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Cricket- 2nd Test, Lords, August 29 - September 2nd, 2024, Sri Lanka tour of England

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Isn't part of the reason the Windies and Sri Lanka are not the force they once were is a lack of money. If the "big three" distributed some of their wealth it would help to improve their competitiveness so encourage more spectators to attend matches. Back in the day when the Windies were over touring grounds were packed every day.
Yes, absolutely, especially for the West Indies (the ICC ban over government interference probably the bigger issue for Sri Lanka).

But I don't see how the ECB and MCC charging punters ludicrous prices, raking in record profits and having the most lucrative sponsorships in the history of sport help the Windies? Since 2001, teams stopped earning fees for touring in international cricket. They do earn money from broadcasting contracts but the market for West Indies is something like 10% of what England earn. There is supposed to be a reciprocal tour agreement so that England go and play in the Caribbean but that's not scheduled until at least 2027. Australia haven't played a team apart from England and India outside of Australia since 2022 (none scheduled until next summer either). India have played 6 tests against non-England/Australia opposition away from home in 3 years.

Make Test cricket more accessible for more people, teams and attendees. It dies otherwise.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
It does help a bit they have seating for 95,000 compared to Lords with only 31,000. Lords should still be cheaper than it is.
Agreed and that means the cheap tickets at the MCG are high up and probably in the corners or sides. Views at Lord's are all good.

The difference between £27 and £115 is huge though. I say that as someone who paid it for day 2 of the West Indies this season. I was on my way to an Albion game (actually on the train at Brighton) after a few beers last season when my phone went and it was a friend who's a MCC member asking me if I wanted a ticket. Of course, three pints in, I absolutely did. At the end of the call I asked how much, expecting 60 or 70 quid max. Needless to say, I didn't tell Mrs GB how much I paid and, had I been sober and asked the right question up front, I might have said no.

That said, it was an absolutely cracking day, I got to see Jimmy's last test and spend the day with a friend who'd thought of me first.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I think @Beanstalk makes good points about adjusting pricing to take account of day four (which was done previously, but no longer) and for the quality of the opposition.
I'm off to The Oval on Friday, and have been going since the mid-90s. We've got decent seats, but it's £125. For reference (and I might just have mentioned this before), I went to all five days of the 2005 Ashes Oval Test, which was cheaper than this one day against SL.
I'd add that this is part of a wider trend, with football being one of the immune areas -- in no small part due to legislation/regulations or, if you prefer, 'red tape'. I used to go to gigs regularly, but have drastically reduced doing so with the post-Covid hike in ticket prices.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
I think @Beanstalk makes good points about adjusting pricing to take account of day four (which was done previously, but no longer) and for the quality of the opposition.
I'm off to The Oval on Friday, and have been going since the mid-90s. We've got decent seats, but it's £125. For reference (and I might just have mentioned this before), I went to all five days of the 2005 Ashes Oval Test, which was cheaper than this one day against SL.
I'd add that this is part of a wider trend, with football being one of the immune areas -- in no small part due to legislation/regulations or, if you prefer, 'red tape'. I used to go to gigs regularly, but have drastically reduced doing so with the post-Covid hike in ticket prices.
Really good points.

I think the sad thing is, I'd just like to go and watch some cricket at my local ground. I get that Lords is the international ground in cricket and demand should always be high, but it shouldn't be crazy to think people who are able to pop down shouldn't be barred to do so when there are thousands of empty seats available.

Seagull on the Hill

Jan 22, 2022
I am going on Sunday, and my ticket was £100. That's a 25% increase from the last time I went to the Oval to watch the match against South Africa in 2022.

fly high

Aug 25, 2011
in a house
Yes, absolutely, especially for the West Indies (the ICC ban over government interference probably the bigger issue for Sri Lanka).

But I don't see how the ECB and MCC charging punters ludicrous prices, raking in record profits and having the most lucrative sponsorships in the history of sport help the Windies? Since 2001, teams stopped earning fees for touring in international cricket. They do earn money from broadcasting contracts but the market for West Indies is something like 10% of what England earn. There is supposed to be a reciprocal tour agreement so that England go and play in the Caribbean but that's not scheduled until at least 2027. Australia haven't played a team apart from England and India outside of Australia since 2022 (none scheduled until next summer either). India have played 6 tests against non-England/Australia opposition away from home in 3 years.

Make Test cricket more accessible for more people, teams and attendees. It dies otherwise.
I would say touring teams like the Windies should be given a fee if the MCC insist on bleeding the public dry.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
I would say touring teams like the Windies should be given a fee if the MCC insist on bleeding the public dry.
There are talks at the moment about the big 3 countries paying into a fund to help support the other test playing countries.

Although it took about 5minutes for it to be pointed out that it's at best well meaning but not nearly enough and at worst window dressing for the continued dispoilment of the game.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Just taken a look. Root needs 96 runs to be the highest English run scorer in Tests.

A nice 95, then a huge six would be a good way of reaching it.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Just taken a look. Root needs 96 runs to be the highest English run scorer in Tests.

A nice 95, then a huge six would be a good way of reaching it.
More likely a cultured 95, then get out attempting a STUPID reverse scoop.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Just to be slightly facetious re the empty seats - I thought the Hundred was supposed to be turning 'women and children' into cricket fans? I put it to you ladies and gentlemen of the jury that all it's done is perhaps turn them into Hundred fans, and they have much interest in Test cricket now as they did in those benighted days before the great format of short T20 was invented. (I.e. none).

Still, it's supposed to make a lot of money - although what they're going to spend it on if eventually the Hundred is all there is I'm not sure.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here