Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Cricket- 1st Test, Manchester, August 21 - 25, 2024, Sri Lanka tour of England

Scappa

Jul 5, 2017
Surely the only justification for reviewing that was that Hawkeye might have the ball bouncing again before it hit the stumps

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
A pea-roller before lunch on Day 1?

Go home, Old Trafford, you’re drunk.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Can cricket really carry on like this?

Between 1992/93 and 2015 the head to head test record was Sri Lanka 8 wins, England 7 and 9 draws.

Since then England lead 7-0 with 1 draw. It's very sad to see this, especially off the back of the sorry series with the Windies.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Between 1992/93 and 2015 the head to head test record was Sri Lanka 8 wins, England 7 and 9 draws.

Since then England lead 7-0 with 1 draw. It's very sad to see this, especially off the back of the sorry series with the Windies.
It makes for a strange watch. You want England to do well / win, but they take a flurry of wickets - and instead of celebrating them as you would Aussie dismissals - you just SIGH.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington

On the plus side, I doubt anybody will be suggesting that the Sri Lankans are struggling because they'd all rather be playing basketball.

Seriously though, although I take the point in general, we've all seen good teams from all countries struggle on the first morning of a test when there's good bowlers getting a bit of movement and uneven bounce.

Root's batting done a lot of heavy lifting for England in the matches in Sri Lanka over that time as well, that record would be a lot more even if a more typical England player had been in his place on the last two tours.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Surely the only justification for reviewing that was that Hawkeye might have the ball bouncing again before it hit the stumps
Or going underneath :lolol:

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
On the plus side, I doubt anybody will be suggesting that the Sri Lankans are struggling because they'd all rather be playing basketball.

Seriously though, although I take the point in general, we've all seen good teams from all countries struggle on the first morning of a test when there's good bowlers getting a bit of movement and uneven bounce.

Root's batting done a lot of heavy lifting for England in the matches in Sri Lanka over that time as well, that record would be a lot more even if a more typical England player had been in his place on the last two tours.
Especially as they have had little prep prior.

It seems to be the norm that teams don't travel well. Australia and India tonk us in their own gardens, not here though. Apart from 2007, India haven't won here since 1986.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
De Silva glances to leg slip, for a dogged 78, having single-handedly dragged SL to 176/8 and into the realms of respectability.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Is it just me who's been wondering why that woman thinks she should be worrying about suncream while she's on holiday, when she appears to be on holiday inside a white box?

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I remember Root taking a cheap 5fer against Sri Lanka in Galle

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I wonder if Rathnayake is any relation to the Sri Lankan great of my youth

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Not according to wikipedia or cricinfo.
I remember talking to Gehan Mendis back then and asking why he wasn't opening for Sri Lanka. It was because he would become an overseas player for Sussex if that happened. He was such a lovely bloke was Gehan. Always had time for us.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I remember talking to Gehan Mendis back then and asking why he wasn't opening for Sri Lanka. It was because he would become an overseas player for Sussex if that happened. He was such a lovely bloke was Gehan. Always had time for us.
His wife was one of my teachers at Somerhill!

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Sri Lanka 236 all out (74 overs)... needless run out for the last wicket.

74 for da Silva, 72 for Rathnayake and Woakes 3-32, Bashir 3-54.

This may well be the close of play for today... as England were being asked to bowl the spinners in poor light.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
His wife was one of my teachers at Somerhill!
One of my teachers at Stanley told she was Imran Khan's sister. I looked a right idiot when I spoke to him about it. She was winding me up.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Wouldn’t Sri Lanka having three of the greatest players in history (Murali, Sangakkara and Jayawardene) not have something to do with that?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here