Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Credits, what's the point?

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I'm not a particular fan of the end credits. I'm good to go pretty much as soon as the film/show/programme is finished but it is nice having them if you need to look up something - an unknown actor in a small part, a particular song etc.

There was an article in the guardian talking about the same issue and putting forward the argument for their importance.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-...dits-why-doesnt-netflix-want-us-to-watch-them

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I really like them. I'm interested in all the actors, the music, the artists etc. Not so much the Best Boy etc. And there is frequently some lovely accompanying music. Blythe Spirit on Sky is a recent fine example.

Absolutely. I'm glad that l'm not the only one interested in which actor/actresses are in the cast of the programme/film l am watching.

It's something of a pet hate of mine, the way that the credits are rolled so quickly at the end of programmes, that you just can't read them these days.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
My lad is on a few Amazon production credits Its a nice way to acknowledge their work.

This. My nephew works for ITV on various shows now, but remember it being quite a thrill for family and friends the first time he appeared in the credits. As you say, its a nice way to acknowledge their work - and in very many cases the huge amount of hard work that has led up to that point in a ferociously competitive industry

Worthing exile

May 12, 2009
My brother works in the games industry and I get a real kick seeing his name come up at the end.

It is all very well seeing names but what the hell are half the jobs?

Fine if they are key to the production. Make-up etc but we don't need to know the name on the catering truck who served them lunch each day.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
It is all very well seeing names but what the hell are half the jobs?

Fine if they are key to the production. Make-up etc but we don't need to know the name on the catering truck who served them lunch each day.

Catering is just as important as anything else I'd argue. People gotta eat.

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
I was in a film once as an extra and the audition and actual work was very hard.

Was told I would be in the credits at the end and when I wasn't, I was totally gutted. 20 years on and it still rankles.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Occasionally a cinema film will have it credits at the start. In this fast paced world where everything is so immediate and tailor made I think it’s right to just take stock of what you are doing.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Many years ago I listened to a dvd director's commentary, I think it was eXistenZ, directed by David Cronenberg. He noted the then current trend for start films before or during the credits. He sad he preferred to have a distinct opening sequence and closing credits as a sort of transition, allowing people to settle into the movie universe - you've just made your way to the theatre, perhaps the theatre has neon lights and distractions to entice you into buying drinks and popcorn, and then there settling into your seats. The opening credits give you a chance to adjust and prepare for the world you are entering.

And at the end, the end credits work in reverse, but also give you that moment to catch your breath, to digest what you've just seen and recover. I see a lot of people with in the industry complaining about the habit of netflix and prime to jump to their 'what next' rather than letting the credits play for this reason (and respect for the people listed).

He wouldn’t have enjoyed Scorsese’s Apocalypse Now, I guess. The opening titles don’t appear until the end of the film.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
He wouldn’t have enjoyed Scorsese’s Apocalypse Now, I guess. The opening titles don’t appear until the end of the film.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think at that point they simply become 'titles'.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
This thread reminds me of a early memory - the first film I ever watched as a child - Tarzan the ape man (1932) starred Jonny Weissmuller . I remember after watching the whole film and the enormous amount of credits at the end and asking my father who were all these people as I had only seen Tarzan , Jane , a small
African Tribe ( who I swear looking back a few years ago were small white actors blacked up ! ) and a handful of other people . I remember my dad telling me it takes lots of people to make a film .

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Be honest, viewers don't read the credits, it's a "luvvies" thing where often the mundane is elevated to art.

Unless our family is unique ( which I doubt we are ) then I'd take issue with this statement. We always stay until the end of the credits at the cinema - partly because there might be other clips to see ( as others have said ) but also because it lets all the plebs rush out first.

At home we also watch the credits - often because someone has said "I recognise that actor - who are they ?" but also because it's interesting to see the sound track list and sometimes the location details. We also have a giggle at all the amazingly whacky names of some people.

With TV programmes it is once again about identifying an actor.

None of us are "luvvies" so with respect I'd suggest you're wrong.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here