Votes: 3 3.1%
  • I don't work

Votes: 14 14.6%

• Total voters

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
Am I worried about losing my job, the thought has crossed my mind, but I'd be ok if I did. I'd get a few months pay to help bide the time til I found something else.

I don't see much of the credit crunch around here to be honest at the moment, I guess we're middle of the road, and when things go bad the people with the least/mortgaged to the eyeballs, get hit first.

Theres still people buying new cars, going out to the pub/restaurants, going on holidays etc - when that stops happening you'll know its bad.

As for estate agents - there were far too many in the first place. This is a very welcome and healthy cutback. Shoreham had 6 for gods sake - what town needs 6 estate agents??

I think until any situation directly affects an individual / family, it will not really bother them, but quite obviously i am very much affected by it, so it does bother me, whilst i dont disagree with your thoughts about estate agents, the fact they are closing down does mean that people are losing there souce of income, in my opinion that is sad, not only for the familys concerned but it will affect the economy in the long run.

The other big problem is, people like myself a who have been involved in the development industry for most of my life, just can't walk into the same type of employment as those jobs just are not there, so I am having to look outside the normal box and am trying to find something that i can do, I promise you at 53 it is not easy, re training for something else is probably not totally out of the question, but in all honesty i dont think it is going to be a short term solution for me.

I honestly am pleased if the present situation is not affecting people, i can tell you now, from a personell point of view, it is worrying the hell out of me and the wife.

Last edited:

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Fairly safe I reckon. I work for a very large print bureau, and amongst our clients are various councils, utility companies and mobile phone companies, so the longer the credit crunch goes on, the more red bills, reminders and court summons we have to print.
:lolol:

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
I honestly am pleased if the present situation is not affecting people, i can tell you now, from a personell point of view, it is worrying the hell out of me and the wife.

I'm sorry to hear that - I'm sure if we were in the same position that it would certainly give me sleepness nights.

I wonder if its because both my husband and I are in industries (accounting and engineering (used to be for the MOD) respectively) where our skills are required even in tough times. I don't say that smugly at all, I'm just lucky really. It seems that most people around us are also in fortunate positions, have done well out of jobs which have always been there and always will, and so are usually the last to go in tough times...

Having said all that - my job could get outsourced - even if its a necessary job (i'm actually hiring at the moment) but it will be done in India - hopefully not, but you never know...

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I think until any situation directly affects an individual / family, it will not really bother them, but quite obviously i am very much affected by it, so it does bother me, whilst i dont disagree with your thoughts about estate agents, the fact they are closing down does mean that people are losing there souce of income, in my opinion that is sad, not only for the familys concerned but it will affect the economy in the long run.

The other big problem is, people like myself a who have been involved in the development industry for most of my life, just can't walk into the same type of employment as those jobs just are not there, so I am having to look outside the normal box and am trying to find something that i can do, I promise you at 53 it is not easy, re training for something else is probably not totally out of the question, but in all honesty i dont think it is going to be a short term solution for me.

Good luck.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
The credit crunch is the biggest non story of my life - well maybe after the millennium bug. People complaining about small percentage rises in petrol, food etc. Bollocks. It's having minimal effect on people. Typical British complaining about something that in all reality is not hitting people. **It's still easy to get a mortgage**, we're not bloody starving, we're one of the richest countries on earth, we don't have hyper inflation, people still go out get pissed spend loads on f***ing alcohol and come back whining about gas bills going up by £50 blah blah blah utter gash. Try living in Zimbabwe or some other stupid country where there really are problems with jobs, food prices and basic living. Bloody pathetic.

BBC NEWS | Business | Mortgage approvals hit fresh low

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
Found out a few days ago that my company wants to lay off 2400 workers (17% in several countries) and my job is very likely to be affected. Won't know for certain until a 90 day consultation period is complete. They didn't blame the credit crunch and this has more to do with a recent takeover (which is of no consolation to me). One reason they gave was the weak dollar, which ironically has strengthened significantly in recent weeks. They are not an American company, but that is their biggest market. Not too worried as I should be able to get a new job quite easily.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here