Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Credit crunch cricket

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
Sod this Twenty20 lark for a game of soldiers. I've discovered the way to enjoy cheap yet decent, cricket. This may strike you as terminally sad, but in the past week I've been to two county 2nd XI games. First off was the first day of MCC Young Cricketers v Glamorgan II at Radlett (Just over £8 on the train from my house, with a network card, plus £5 on lunch from at Radlett Tesco, plus a couple of pints at the very hospitable bar at Radlett CC -- and I got to see someone score a hundred before lunch. Bloody marvellous.)

Then today I went to MCC YC against Sussex II at the RAF's ground in Uxbridge. A one day match which we sadly lost, but I got to see Ragheb Aga, Ollie Rayner, Jason Lewry and Mushy on his injury comeback trail. That one cost me £3 on my Oyster card!

If -- like me -- you're pissed off with the overpriced beer, overcrowding, ridiculous bloody music every time someone hits a four, then I can heartily recommend this as the antidote. Games are played at big club grounds, which always have a bar open, and you can just sit right by the boundary on a bench. Oh, and it's FREE to get in.

Not many 2nd XI games are played at weekends, sadly, but anyone with a spare day off in the week and annoyed that June is wall-to-wall cash-cricket could do a lot worse. (If you're in Mid-Sussex a lot of our games are played at Horsham, BTW)

Download the 2nd XI fixtures here.

Here endeth my top money saving tip!

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I must say i'm a little bit bored of 20/20 this season. Maybe cos we're pretty shit.
I am well looking forward to the Lancashire next Tuesday and Wednesday and watching Flintoff get a duck and Mahmood bowl some wides

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here