Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Credit card fraud warning

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
We do have something to worry about, because passing around mails like this just causes hysteria.

If anyone remembers the "GoodTimes" virus from around 1995, a warning for that caused so much hysteria the BBC even warned about it on air and people thought that their PC's had got it

It DID NOT EXIST. It was mass hysteria from this kind of crap email

If you get a mail like this, delete it. Nothing more.

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
CREDIT CARDS NOWAY,I HAVE A SWITCH BUT NEVER USE THIS EVEN THE BANK KEEP INFORMING ME THAT I SHOULD ETC,NO WAY HOSAY,CASH IS BEST UNLESS SOME FUCKER GIVES YOU DODGY MONEY!!!!

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
MYOB said:
Switch and Laser cards are just as easy to commit fraud on as credit cards

And they usually have NO fraud protection.

I found a number of small debits coming off my switch card a few years ago, £17.99, £23.00 and the like. Think there were four or five in total, all of them coming from an Alfords Nursery in Grimsby, if I remember rightly. Thing is, I'd never been to Grimsby, let alone visit a garden centre up there!

Mentioned it to a colleague at work, who just happened to have had the same thing happen to him, all random small amounts, from the same nursery in Grimsby.

Reported it to Nat West, who did f*** all. Police, likewise, did f*** all. The only thing we could figure out was that we both used Switch at the local pub near work, and that an insider there would call up his mate in Grimsby, who then took money out of the till up there. Nice little scam, the c***s, cos lots of small amounts would often be over-looked. God knows how much they stole in total. Never proved though. :angry: :angry:

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
eastlondonseagull said:
I found a number of small debits coming off my switch card a few years ago, £17.99, £23.00 and the like. Think there were four or five in total, all of them coming from an Alfords Nursery in Grimsby, if I remember rightly. Thing is, I'd never been to Grimsby, let alone visit a garden centre up there!

Mentioned it to a colleague at work, who just happened to have had the same thing happen to him, all random small amounts, from the same nursery in Grimsby.

Reported it to Nat West, who did f*** all. Police, likewise, did f*** all. The only thing we could figure out was that we both used Switch at the local pub near work, and that an insider there would call up his mate in Grimsby, who then took money out of the till up there. Nice little scam, the c***s, cos lots of small amounts would often be over-looked. God knows how much they stole in total. Never proved though. :angry: :angry:

Lemme guess, you never got it back?

I had a somewhat reputable computer games website scam me for just under ahundred for a graphics card they pretended to ship but didn't. They assumed that as it was <100 quid they couldn't get done for fraud as the fraud protection level is a hundred

A hundred Sterling. It was IR£113 after conversion so I got the buggers. Thanks, Visa....

Had I used my Laser (Irish debit card) card I wouldn't have had any comeback at all

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
eastlondonseagull said:
Yep! Got absolutely zip! In total, I reckon they nabbed 70 or 80 quid off me in total. Times that by however many punters they were scamming and that's a nice little earner :angry:

A credit card company would have screwed the bastards out of existance, and you'd have got your cash back.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
empire said:
CREDIT CARDS NOWAY,I HAVE A SWITCH BUT NEVER USE THIS EVEN THE BANK KEEP INFORMING ME THAT I SHOULD ETC,NO WAY HOSAY,CASH IS BEST UNLESS SOME FUCKER GIVES YOU DODGY MONEY!!!!

I would suspect that cards are far more secure than cash. Yes there are scammers out there but as long as you keep up with whats going on and are careful about using them and guarding your details they're fine.
Like you say you could be given a dodgy note. Or you could be mugged. If someone steals your wallet then your cash is gone but I can cancel all my cards with one call. And as far as I'm aware all card users are insured for fraud by their banks.
If you're so anti-technology what are you doing using the internet? A hacker could be getting all your personal details or using your IP address to commit fraud in your name.
Why cause yourself extra hassle just in case you might (or might not) get scammed? You might get pick pocketed tomorrow.

Last edited:

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
Rangdo said:

Like you say you could be given a dodgy note. Or you could be mugged. If someone steals your wallet then your cash is gone but I can cancel all my cards with one call.

While, not wanting to put the frighteners up anyone, cards can be far worse than cash.

A mate of mine was the victim of armed robbers in Manchester about six years ago. They burst into his home, tied him and his flatmates up, got their cards and pin numbers off them, then while one held them all at gunpoint, the others nipped down the road and emptied their accounts. My mate tried to be clever and gave them the wrong number - they returned and beat the living shit out of him.

Methinks cash would have been a hell of a lot easier!

spidey

Jun 17, 2004
B Hill
Right, so let me get this straight MYOB.

You say these messages cause mass hysteria, but you yourself have been the victim of a scam?

BTW, being aware doesn't cause mass hysteria - this is allegedly a scam that requires additional info. over the phone from the cardholder, rather than using info. solely gained from the net.
In the future I'll MYOB!

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
No, I've not been the "victim" of a scam. I've had an attempt to screw me over done by a reputable company, not one of the usual things these hysterical, pointless emails tell you about

Please, NEVER post another one on here again. Same for everyone else. They're a total waste of time.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
MYOB said:
No, I've not been the "victim" of a scam. I've had an attempt to screw me over done by a reputable company, not one of the usual things these hysterical, pointless emails tell you about

Please, NEVER post another one on here again. Same for everyone else. They're a total waste of time.

No need to get hysterical... :D

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
eastlondonseagull said:
While, not wanting to put the frighteners up anyone, cards can be far worse than cash.

A mate of mine was the victim of armed robbers in Manchester about six years ago. They burst into his home, tied him and his flatmates up, got their cards and pin numbers off them, then while one held them all at gunpoint, the others nipped down the road and emptied their accounts. My mate tried to be clever and gave them the wrong number - they returned and beat the living shit out of him.

Methinks cash would have been a hell of a lot easier!

I think you might have possibly taken this to the most extreme end of the scale don't you. This is not likely to happen to you and isn't much of an example as to why cash is better than carrying cards. I mean if he hadn't had cards they probably would have dragged one down the bank to empty his accountwith the threat that the other would be killed if he didn't co-operate so neither would have been safer.
You say cash would have been better but from what you said if he'd given the correct numbers he would have been as safe as if he'd given them cash.
At the end of the day the most likely thing to happen to you is fraud or theft. In either case you are much better with a card than cash because it can be cancelled and is covered by the bank.

Last edited:

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
MYOB said:
COULD YOU TAKE YOUR f***ing CAPS LOCK OFF ITS MAKING YOU LOOK LIKE AN IGNORANT TIT. and you are!! a f***ing knob for stating the fact

Thank you.

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
Rangdo said:
I would suspect that cards are far more secure than cash. Yes there are scammers out there but as long as you keep up with whats going on and are careful about using them and guarding your details they're fine.
Like you say you could be given a dodgy note. Or you could be mugged. If someone steals your wallet then your cash is gone but I can cancel all my cards with one call. And as far as I'm aware all card users are insured for fraud by their banks.
If you're so anti-technology what are you doing using the internet? A hacker could be getting all your personal details or using your IP address to commit fraud in your name.
Why cause yourself extra hassle just in case you might (or might not) get scammed? You might get pick pocketed tomorrow.
anti technology show me where i said that areshole,i said if your stupid enough to use these things,cash is safer end of,run along

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
empire said:
and you are!! a f***ing knob for stating the fact

empire said:
show me where i said that areshole

Nice bloke aren't you. Good to see that you can engage in a discussion, clearly putting your point of view across in a firm but friendly manner without getting personal or aggressive :rolleyes:

empire said:
anti technology show me where i said that areshole

What you said was this:

please join this century,what to have all my money taken out!!!wake up,i have no sympathy for you!!!!hope they skim your account this weekend,then you can carry on praising the modern century

Which still gives me the impression that you are anti-technology.

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
Rangdo said:
I think you might have possibly taken this to the most extreme end of the scale don't you. This is not likely to happen to you and isn't much of an example as to why cash is better than carrying cards. I mean if he hadn't had cards they probably would have dragged one down the bank to empty his accountwith the threat that the other would be killed if he didn't co-operate so neither would have been safer.
You say cash would have been better but from what you said if he'd given the correct numbers he would have been as safe as if he'd given them cash.
At the end of the day the most likely thing to happen to you is fraud or theft. In either case you are much better with a card than cash because it can be cancelled and is covered by the bank.

Definitely an extreme, yeah! I suppose it just proves that nothing's fail-safe in the end!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here