Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Creation of a new Sussex

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
West and East Sussex should be dissolved, with the creation of a new singular Sussex County (region) with autonomous powers......

Discuss..

The existing counties cannot just be dissolved but in any event, any consideration of merging them would be fraught, for example, where would any new amalgamated authority be based. Costs, one way and the other, could not be justified now or in the foreseeable future given the current financial situation so a non starter in my opinion.

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
There's no east Essex or west Essex or east Hampshire or west Hampshire etc etc so why east Sussex & west Sussex ( what a load of old bollocks )

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It bad enough being half related to you scum, there's no way I'm dropping what makes me superior.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
There has NEVER been a single administrative county covering the whole of Sussex.

Once upon a time there was a kingdom, but that came to an end some time around the end of the eighth century.

Declare independence, reinstate the kingdom and announce Tony Bloom as our king.

rouseytastic

Sep 22, 2011
Haywards Heath
In fairness there is talk of looking at the boundaries to balance out numbers. I was chatting to an elections officer the other day and he mentioned this. Something about Burgess Hill becoming East Sussex. True story

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
In fairness there is talk of looking at the boundaries to balance out numbers. I was chatting to an elections officer the other day and he mentioned this. Something about Burgess Hill becoming East Sussex. True story

I believe Haywards Heath used to be in East Sussex several decades ago.

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
What would be the benefit? I am West Sussex, and want nothing to do with the loony Brighton council and want them to have absolute no influence on my area at all.

rouseytastic

Sep 22, 2011
Haywards Heath
I believe Haywards Heath used to be in East Sussex several decades ago.

Correct it did, and technically now some parts of Burgess Hill still are but not in name. It's something to do with balancing East and West after B&Hove became a city and under their own Council. Or something like that, probably won't happen. Also, East Grinstead council types don't like being in Sussex and would prefer Surrey. No loss!

thony

Jul 24, 2011
Hollingbury
Note that Brighton & Hove is not now part of Sussex - since it became a Unitary council, I believe we are now in "The City of Brighton & Hove" in "The County Of Brighton & Hove", although most address checkers on websites still insist that I am in Brighton in East Sussex! Note that this leads to passing TWO signs welcoming you to Brighton & Hove: one for the county, then another further down the road for the city. It can be confusing to visitors who don't know we're a county as well!

Rich Suvner

Skint years RIP
Jul 17, 2003
Worthing
Note that Brighton & Hove is not now part of Sussex - since it became a Unitary council, I believe we are now in "The City of Brighton & Hove" in "The County Of Brighton & Hove", although most address checkers on websites still insist that I am in Brighton in East Sussex! Note that this leads to passing TWO signs welcoming you to Brighton & Hove: one for the county, then another further down the road for the city. It can be confusing to visitors who don't know we're a county as well!

my understanding is that although the city is administered by a unitary authority, it is still part of the county of East Sussex in non-administrative terms!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here