Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

'Crazy' transfers concern Benitez

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Benitez does talk sense sometimes.
He may have spent £150 million in 4 years, but how much have Chelsea spent and what do they have to show for it?
To be fair i think at least £100 million of that money was justified anyway, especially the £20 million they spent on Torres. Absolute bargain for the best striker in the world.
Real spending £200 million in a few weeks is f***ing proposterous. Makes me so glad to support a lower league side when all this shit goes on.
City seem to be intent on spending their money on utter shit as well. Santa Cruz- £17 Million!?!
Watch him score 3 goals this season, if that.

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
Not only was there Robbie Keane, there's now £17 million on GLEN JOHNSON for goodness sake.

Having said that, I can see what he means. How can anybody expect to keep up with the lunacy of Man City or Real Madrid?

Simon Morgan

Oct 30, 2004
Oxford
Glen Johnson is a great signing for Liverpool, he's surely the best right back in the Prem? Better than Arbeloa, anyway. Liverpool have never been as bad as some in terms of spending, and £150m in 4 years isn't quite as bad as £183m in a few weeks. Robbie Keane was a flop, because he was horrifically over-rated, but signings like Torres have improved the team hugely.

theonesmith

Oct 27, 2008
Glen Johnson is a great signing for Liverpool, he's surely the best right back in the Prem? Better than Arbeloa, anyway. Liverpool have never been as bad as some in terms of spending, and £150m in 4 years isn't quite as bad as £183m in a few weeks. Robbie Keane was a flop, because he was horrifically over-rated, but signings like Torres have improved the team hugely.

BUT

Real Madrids signings are all on 6 year deals. This means they should have a decent team for the next 6 years and only need to add a small amount to it. They are yet to sell 10 players (they have 35 and can only register 25) and their fan base/tv rights are significantly higher in revenue than Liverpool's.

Benitez did bring in Torres- but how much money has he wasted on total rubbish? Ngog, Babel, Keane, Arbeloa, Voronin - are these good investments?

So IMO I don't think he has much of a point, once you look at the wider picture..

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004

Glen Johnson is just about worth £8m, he's not a desperately good defender.
As for the best in the prem? Of the top of my headSagna, Brown, Bosingwa, Arbeloa, even Niell is better

NF9

Feb 24, 2009
Brighton
Glen Johnson is just about worth £8m, he's not a desperately good defender.
As for the best in the prem? Of the top of my headSagna, Brown, Bosingwa, Arbeloa, even Niell is better

Brown:lolol: :lolol:

Neill :lolol: :lolol:

Arbeloa :lolol:

HG201

Proud Ruffian
Jul 16, 2008
Birmingham
"Money was obviously the biggest motivating factor in Barry's move to City "
Or the fact that he will be playing first team football at city, rather being on the bench most weeks behind Gerrard, Alonso and Mascherano.
If Barry did go to Liverpool, he would probaly end up doing a Robbie Keane and leave during the next window for a considerably lower fee

WestStandLad

Jan 28, 2004
Sussex
Voronin was free.

Arbeloa was a £2.5m capture from Deportivo, has gone on to become a regular in the Spanish squad and will be probably be sold for £5m/£6m to Real Madrid this summer unless he signs a new contract.

N'Gog is a 19-year-old French U-21 Internantional who cost just over £1m from PSG.

Babel after a good start has stagnanted but still has a sell on value of £9/£10m.

Keane was forced on Benitez by the then CEO Rick Parry. Benitez wanted to spend that money on Gareth Barry but wasn't allowed.

So all in all Mr theonesmith out of the players you've mentioned he hasn't done a lot wrong. Now if you'd used the examples of Dossena and Lucas you may have had more of a point.

Agger, Skrtel, Mascherano, Reina, Benayoun, Alonso, Insua, Torres, Kuyt, Riera and Aurelio would all make profits if the club chose to sell them. Some of those players would make enormous profits.

Liverpool are owed over £7m from the Crouch transfer so will be paying nothing like £17m for Johnson.

Harley S

Aug 31, 2008
Voronin was free.

Arbeloa was a £2.5m capture from Deportivo, has gone on to become a regular in the Spanish squad and will be probably be sold for £5m/£6m to Real Madrid this summer unless he signs a new contract.

N'Gog is a 19-year-old French U-21 Internantional who cost just over £1m from PSG.

Babel after a good start has stagnanted but still has a sell on value of £9/£10m.

Keane was forced on Benitez by the then CEO Rick Parry. Benitez wanted to spend that money on Gareth Barry but wasn't allowed.

So all in all Mr theonesmith out of the players you've mentioned he hasn't done a lot wrong. Now if you'd used the examples of Dossena and Lucas you may have had more of a point.

Agger, Skrtel, Mascherano, Reina, Benayoun, Alonso, Insua, Torres, Kuyt, Riera and Aurelio would all make profits if the club chose to sell them. Some of those players would make enormous profits.

Liverpool are owed over £7m from the Crouch transfer so will be paying nothing like £17m for Johnson.

100% correct. Perfect analysis of the situation. !!

:clap::clap::clap:

Safe.

Jun 8, 2008
Apparently Ribery is 8/13 ??? to join Liverpool on Sky Bet and he can't be cheap.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Although of course Benitez is right about the current situation it does MIFF me off when managers from the likes of Liverpool and Spurs moaning about inflated transfer prices.

Its like when Man Utd and Arsenal moan about Real Madrid or whoever tapping up their players.

It is purely annoyance at their being a bigger fish out there.

theonesmith

Oct 27, 2008
Voronin was free.

Ah ok sorry I shall revise my list with a bit more time;

Dossena, Lucas, Josemi, Nunez, Morientes, Gonzalez, Barragan, Idrizaj, Hobbs, Pellegrino, Antwi, Calliste, Roque, Pennant, Bellamy, Paletta, El Zhar, Kromkamp, Anderson, Martin, Leto, San Jose, Nemeth, Pacheco, Kacaniklic, Insua, Plessis, Alexandrov, Brouwer, Bruna, Crowther, Manuel Duran, Huth, Mackay Steven, Mihaylov, Pourie, Simon, Padelli, Keane, Cavalieri, Cooper, Degen, Dalla Valle, Flora, Gulacsi, Mendy, Saric, Lucas Weijl.

Those aren't even everyone! Plus my argument was that in my opinion Real Madrids policy of buying quality instead of quantity is better, one that I still agree with. I still think Rafa is building a good team, but he's had to go through a hell of a lot of players to do it!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here