Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Crazy money being thrown about

Aadam

Resident Plastic
Feb 6, 2012
Anyone who pays to watch games, whether live or on TV is contributing to it. Sky will still pay silly money all the time they have their subscriptions being paid for around the world. Added to the Champions and Premier League prize money. Clubs will pay silly money to reach the promised land. Brighton haven't bought in Vicente, Bruno, Bridge, Kuszczak et al to stay in the Championship.

Unfortunately to compete with the more relaxed tax laws of some of our European leagues, higher wages have to be paid here. The moment the players decide to reduce their wages to make gate-receipts more affordable to the ordinary man is the day I eat my hat.

The only way to stop it is to stop paying to watch it.

To answer the OP, clubs are making the transfer money back in no time. Real Madrid paid £23m for David Beckham. It was reported they recouped this in a matter of weeks from sponsorship and shirt sales. The same for Ronaldo, no doubt although a little longer to recoup £80m.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
silly prices for a long time, but getting worse and worse it's true with no sign of slowing, what with more and more (all be it dodgy/risky/short-term) money coming into the game :(

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I think this is the last season of clubs living beyond their means and the clubs will have to find ingenious ways to get around the restrictions from next season.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Unfortunately to compete with the more relaxed tax laws of some of our European leagues, higher wages have to be paid here.

Which European leagues do you have in mind? Highest tax rate here is 50% (reduced to 45% next year). Spain and Netherland's rate is 52%, Italy and Germany is 45%, Portugal is 46.5%. Belgium and Austria are 50% and Scandinavian rates are between 48 to 57%. Next year only France of the western European countries will have a significantly lower rate - a whole 4% at 41%.

Bulgaria and Albania's rate is 10%, perhaps you think there'll be an exodus there.:smile:

Del Boy

Oct 1, 2004
Craig Mackail-Smith will outscore Steven Fletcher in the Championship this season.

Seeing as Fletcher will be playing in the Premier League I think you're right.

Last season Fletcher scored more goals in the prem that cms managed in the championship.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here