Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Crazy money being thrown about

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Has football reached the peak now of 'inflation' so to speak of players? Ridiculous some of the prices so far paid for players is mad, 12m bid for Fletcher at Wolves? 30-40M for unproven youngsters from foreign nations? Isn't it all getting a bit silly now?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Now? Now?!! Have you been under a stone for the past 30 years? People have been going on about "silly" prices ever since Trevor Francis broke the £1m barrier :D

They were probably going on about silly money when Middlesbrough paid a grand for Alf Common

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
IMO, the worst it ever got was just before the collapse of ITV Digital. Ridiculous money being bandied about a decade ago.

Still, all the while big crowds turn up to watch, nothing is going to change. I wonder whether fat sweaty overpaid overrated twats like Wayne Rooney ever feel humbled by some of the Olympians taking part over the last 12 days? Just thinking of that pikey muppet and the way he "negotiated" his last £200k a week contract is making me cringe.

Jan 30, 2008
IMO, the worst it ever got was just before the collapse of ITV Digital. Ridiculous money being bandied about a decade ago.

Still, all the while big crowds turn up to watch, nothing is going to change. I wonder whether fat sweaty overpaid overrated twats like Wayne Rooney ever feel humbled by some of the Olympians taking part over the last 12 days? Just thinking of that pikey muppet and the way he "negotiated" his last £200k a week contract is making me cringe.
i'd seriously think about renewing my season ticket if we reach the premiership, f***ed off with everything about that league :rant:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I wonder whether fat sweaty overpaid overrated twats like Wayne Rooney ever feel humbled by some of the Olympians taking part over the last 12 days? Just thinking of that pikey muppet and the way he "negotiated" his last £200k a week contract is making me cringe.

Interesting point you raise. On a slightly different theme I was talking about the England national team last night. A common excuse for them is that the weight of expectation and fear causes them to freeze. We heard this a lot in SA. I cannot even begin to comprehend how much weight and expectation was heaped on some of the Olympians especially Jessica Ennis. She was under intense pressure to deliver. Did she, or the many others, crumble or freeze on the big day? No. They thrived on it. Team GB actually make me proud to be English for once. They are astonishing people and I feel bad to even mention the football team in the same sentence.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Interesting point you raise. On a slightly different theme I was talking about the England national team last night. A common excuse for them is that the weight of expectation and fear causes them to freeze. We heard this a lot in SA. I cannot even begin to comprehend how much weight and expectation was heaped on some of the Olympians especially Jessica Ennis. She was under intense pressure to deliver. Did she, or the many others, crumble or freeze on the big day? No. They thrived on it. Team GB actually make me proud to be English for once. They are astonishing people and I feel bad to even mention the football team in the same sentence.
To be fair, our shit soccerists are not the only highly paid sports people. The USA basketball team are millionaires several times over.

The difference is that they, you know, WIN against other good teams.

London Pompous

Feb 16, 2008
i'd seriously think about renewing my season ticket if we reach the premiership, f***ed off with everything about that league :rant:

Some serious tear up potential though DR, some of the boys will be coming out of retirement if we have a chance to plant a flag at the manor of Arsenal, Spurs, Chelsea and some of the Northern Monkeys.

Word is that even United have gone soft, Ajax took liberties when they played them at Old Trafford last season, dishing out slaps left, right and centre, never would have happened in my day, no one has any respect any more.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield

It's not the big crowds turning up, it's the Sky money. The only way we could possibly get the whole thing back on to a sensible economic track would be for us all to jack in our Sky subscriptions - and that, I believe, would work, if everyone decided to make a stand. Unfortunately, it just ain't gonna happen.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
The fact Zaha will probably go for something in the region of £650m – £750m will restore some much needed sanity. Only a month or two back Palace supporters were talking about him as the first billion pound player.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
It's not the big crowds turning up, it's the Sky money. The only way we could possibly get the whole thing back on to a sensible economic track would be for us all to jack in our Sky subscriptions - and that, I believe, would work, if everyone decided to make a stand. Unfortunately, it just ain't gonna happen.
Sky wouldn't pay as much if games were played to half empty stadiums.

Jan 30, 2008
Some serious tear up potential though DR, some of the boys will be coming out of retirement if we have a chance to plant a flag at the manor of Arsenal, Spurs, Chelsea and some of the Northern Monkeys.

Word is that even United have gone soft, Ajax took liberties when they played them at Old Trafford last season, dishing out slaps left, right and centre, never would have happened in my day, no one has any respect any more.
:rolleyes:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
To be fair, our shit soccerists are not the only highly paid sports people. The USA basketball team are millionaires several times over.

The difference is that they, you know, WIN against other good teams.

I'm not bothered about the pay, it's the way the two sets deal with pressure. The soccerists crumble but the Olympians thrive (or deal with it). And remember Terry bemoaning the boredom of the SA hotel.....some of the lengthy, remote and repetitive training camps the Olmpians have been on strike me as worse but none complain or use it as an excuse.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Fletcher £12m, Cazorla £15m. I think we know Arsenal go the better bargain there...

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I don't want to detract from the point you're making but are there actually any other good basketball teams? Of the same or superior ability to the U.S national basketball team?
No, although Spain are apparently an excellent team and might give them a run for their money if they play well.

Sep 7, 2011
shoreham
Sky wouldn't pay as much if games were played to half empty stadiums.

sorry but i dont get that, why would sky care how many people go to a game, their revenue comes from people who are not at a game buying a subscription. (if sky diden,t put any games on tv all football attendances would rise )

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here