Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Crawley

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Back in the day didn't there used to be a pub on A23 where groups from Crawley and Brighton used in have a bit of a scrap?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
for the un-initiated as I need to go there fairly soon, are there any good pubs in Crawley?
I spent a year as barman/cellerman at the Brewery Shades in 1980. it was an unpleasant pub. But the White Hart across the rod was very civilised. Times, of course, change.

Last edited:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I was mostly teasing that dullard @Red Side Of Sussex . No point banning him because he won't be back unless his team of thugs play us again.

If people choose to live in Crawley that's their lookout. I notice you don't. I worked there for a few years and found it soulless, identikit, full of teenage mums and frequently violent. Maybe I was only seeing the good parts. ( :moo: ).

The mod, by the way, manages to take almost constant teasing about Portslade in reasonable, self deprecating humour. I'm fully aware of its shortcomings and I still love it. I guess the same is true for our Crawley dwelling BHA fans?
Indeed, I've never lived in Crawley so you could argue it's not my fight, but it does make me uncomfortable. I know it's not how it works but if I was a passing football fan from Crawley and read this board, I'd probably not choose to support Brighton. And you are deluded if you think the amount of Portslade teasing on here comes anything like close to the constant battering that Crawley gets. Crawley does not get "teased" on here. In fact it is utter nonsense for you to compare the two.

And in response to @The Clamp, your reply is very fair - but I do wonder how you'd feel about your choice of home town if Lancing got what Crawley gets on here, and you chose to buy a house and raise a family there. I think you might be a little more upset than the "water off a duck's back" persona you're portraying.

Anyway, that's all - I just think there is food for thought there.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
When my daughter finished uni, she was offered accountancy training with Deloitte, which meant commuting. She rented in Maidenbower for six months, which was full of identikit new houses, but then bought a house in Pound Hill, which they did up.
Both decent areas imo.
Of course. Crawley has loads of things going for it, as do most places in this country. Old Crawley is quite attractive, Crawley shopping is probably only surpassed by one or two towns in the county, it has an Olympic length swimming pool (part of a very good leisure centre which is something, shamefully, Brighton lacks), it is moments from the busiest airport in the world, and it is well situated geographically. It is also doing a good job of rebuilding itself after town planners vomited over it in the 60s. That's because unlike Brighton, things actually get built and fixed in Crawley without nimbys holding up much-needed infrastructural work.

Oh and it now has a league football club, although I'm not sure that's an asset. :lolol:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Indeed, I've never lived in Crawley so you could argue it's not my fight, but it does make me uncomfortable. I know it's not how it works but if I was a passing football fan from Crawley and read this board, I'd probably not choose to support Brighton. And you are deluded if you think the amount of Portslade teasing on here comes anything like close to the constant battering that Crawley gets. Crawley does not get "teased" on here. In fact it is utter nonsense for you to compare the two.

And in response to @The Clamp, your reply is very fair - but I do wonder how you'd feel about your choice of home town if Lancing got what Crawley gets on here, and you chose to buy a house and raise a family there. I think you might be a little more upset than the "water off a duck's back" persona you're portraying.

The only other place that gets nearly as much stick as Crawley, on here, is Newhaven.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Lancing has its nice areas.

Lancing College, lancing Ring, the beach between beach green and Shoreham.

North lancing, the church and chocolate box cottages are lovely.

It’s the village centre that looks like someone air-dropped a shipping container full of mutants.

But it’s easy to get dental and GP appointments. Library is always dead quiet. And rail station is well kept.
'Library is always dead quiet'.

The best insults are the ones made with the lightest touch.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

I choose to live here. It’s got many faults but I like it. In the whole.

No reason I should be less invested just because I choose not to have children.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I choose to live here. It’s got many faults but I like it. In the whole.

No reason I should be less invested just because I choose not to have children.
I'm not disparaging your choice not to have kids. It's just that when you're responsible for bringing up kids I think you're likely to be more sensitive as to other people's opinions of the place you choose to bring them up in.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
I've seen Newhaven get pelters on here (far more than Portslade), but again, IMO it's not remotely close to the bile that Crawley receives.
Most of the slagging off Newhaven gets on here that I see is from people who grew up there, which if nothing else suggests we have a sense of humour about it.

Unlike that touchy sensitive Crawley lot. :lolol:

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I worked in Crawley for a few weekends. homophobic idiots throwing bottles at customers leaving Bar7 and the same bitter, failed at life, scrag-ends fighting outside metro cabs and Troy’s kebabs at kicking out time, week in week out.
Their girlfriends yelling “Riley, he ain’t worf it babe” with mascara running down their fake tanned cheeks.

Not one fit bird in the whole town. All of them look like 10 lbs of shit in a 5 lb bag.

Oh and the lovely Mauritian gangs and homeless drunks by Betfred.

Absolute toilet.
I work in the new council building and the Mauritian gangs have a constant camp there, I feel some sympathy with them, they have been completely screwed over, they should not be in the position they find themselves in.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Lancing has its nice areas.

Lancing College, lancing Ring, the beach between beach green and Shoreham.

North lancing, the church and chocolate box cottages are lovely.
to be fair you are not wrong.
It’s the village centre that looks like someone air-dropped a shipping container full of mutants.
But it’s easy to get dental and GP appointments.
wait until Monks Farm and the new Malthouse Meadows building sites are completed, that will change.
Library is always dead quiet.
There is a very good reason for that.....
And rail station is well kept.
You say that, but I took this photo one evening while waiting to get back to Gods Town.

lancing bear.jpg

Last edited:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

wait until Monks Farm and the new Malthouse Meadows building sites are completed, that will change.

There is a very good reason for that.....

You say that, but I took this photo one evening while waiting to get back to Gods Town.

View attachment 188046
I’m on the phone to my letting agent as we speak, I’m out.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I work in the new council building and the Mauritian gangs have a constant camp there, I feel some sympathy with them, they have been completely screwed over, they should not be in the position they find themselves in.
Funnily enough I was listening to a documentary about the Mauritians and you’re dead right, they’ve been stitched up completely.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Sterns nightclub?
Yes I recall that

Crawley in the 80's were lacking nightclubs, one place called Boulevards that had a crazy age rule to keep the meat heads out. After 11 there was little going on.

So used to go to Brighton a lot, it was another world...

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Indeed. Do you see the difference?
Obviously. But then I read plenty of nonsense and wild generalisations about places I've lived or worked on here that don't bother me because it's either demonstrably untrue or doesn't apply to the parts I actually care about.

Similarly if somebody from Crawley looks around them and thinks "that lot on NSC are talking crap" then I don't think they should let it bother them either.

I do tend to agree that the amount of shit Crawley gets on here is probably excessive. Albeit unless we count changing trains at Three Bridges I think I've successfully avoided the place all my life, so I can't really offer an opinion on the truth of it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here