Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

crawley vs afc wimbledon

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
Just got home from pub, went to watch the game tonight and thought I would summarise the evening:

Crowd - Wimbledon fans were superb, had some great songs, sounded great and kept going, they had about 750 there. No trouble that I saw, so massive credit to them.
Crawley fans have absolulty no idea how to sing a song, its terrible, nothing has changed since I was a school boy at town mead in the 80's, its either "Red Army" , "who the f***ing hell are you" or "Crawley Town", no idea, no passion, just awful and embarrising. and not one some about Brighton!!

Match - Was really impressed with both teams, for the first 25 mins Crawley were immense, and I really mean that, as good as some of the best bits of Brighton this season, Wimbledon could not cope and Crawley should have been long gone....they have a left midfielder in Josh Simpson who was outstanding, they have shape, creative players all over and with the main man Tubbs up front looked superb, Tubbs is a Championship level striker and you can see why Leeds are keen on him, he was heads and shoulders above the defenders around him and will leave this summer for a bigger club, 32 goals so far and i reckon he will get 40 +, he is the real deal, and I will be gobsmakcked if he is not on Brightons Radar as he would do a job for us.......a really great prospect, movement, vision, power on the ball, has the lot. Once Crawley went 2 up and looking like they were going to get a third, Wimbledon came into it and played some great football, they got a goal back from a great free kick and when Balman was sent off (bit harsh, was a foul maybe yellow, but red.....not sure) they were on top and crawley were all hands to the pump, half time came at the right time for Crawley and I reckon Steve Evans gave them a rocket at half time as they came out and totally controlled the second half (albeit AFC did have a few chances early on) it was one of the most professional performances I have seen from a side down to 10 men and and the third goal was a great move and strike from the substitue Dance....

I would give the game 8 out of 10, both teams played good football and it was a great advert for non league, there were occassions when they went long, but it was end to end stuff and worth the 14 quid to get in.

Summary - Crawley on tonights peformance will win the league and will win it soon, they are good, they are very good in fact and have players that will shine in League 2, they said there were 4045 fans there, but I reckon thats a tax fiddle as you could not move, nearer 4500, but the fans have no idea how to create an atmosphere, it was shocking, they need to learn that soon as thats what going to games is about and why I love watching Brighton so much especially away.

There is a buzz about the town at the moment and thats great for Crawley, I honestly think they will have an average of say 3000 in league 2 next season and the increase will be from fans supporting London Clubs that have fallen out of love with them, I stood with 6 Hammers fans tonight, 3 of which said they will not renew there ST if Crawley get promoted...........

For me............I may go to watch Crawley again this season , the Luton at home sounds a good one, but the heart is with the seagulls and as much as I enjoyed tonight (no car, No driving, a short walk to the ground from my local and back again) you cannot beat the Brighton and its crowd and the feeling you get when they play. I say good luck Crawley and all the best, but my money will be spent on Brighton...........and the occassional visit to Crawley!!

pottert

Aug 12, 2009
Peacehaven
It's fair to say that crawley are the man city of non league football.if they can keep their best players & add 1 or 2 more they will be up there next season as well.They may well be competing for the championship in the next 4 or 5 years if the backing is still there.BUT sooner or later they will have to become self sufficient which means moving to a bigger stadium which maybe problematic in crawley.At the moment they are a big fish in a little pond but come next season they will be a little fish in a big pond.I'm sure tubbs & co are on league 1 wages at the moment but sooner or later they will want to play in front of crowds of more than 4000 which crawley will not be able to offer for the foreseeable future.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
It's fair to say that crawley are the man city of non league football.if they can keep their best players & add 1 or 2 more they will be up there next season as well.They may well be competing for the championship in the next 4 or 5 years if the backing is still there.BUT sooner or later they will have to become self sufficient which means moving to a bigger stadium which maybe problematic in crawley.At the moment they are a big fish in a little pond but come next season they will be a little fish in a big pond.I'm sure tubbs & co are on league 1 wages at the moment but sooner or later they will want to play in front of crowds of more than 4000 which crawley will not be able to offer for the foreseeable future.

I understand Crawley's wage structure isn't quite as ridiclous as people are led believe, highly competetive for their level but sustanable whilst their gates are high.

With regard to their stadium, if the investment was there I have no doubt they would have full support from the local council, like many new towns the powers that be at Crawley tend to be more accomodating to new developments and what better way to raise the profile of a very unfashionable town than building a decent stadium, with the possibilty of staging large events.

I know i'm in the minority here but i hope they realise their potential, any large town needs a decent football club it adds something to the town, gives it an identity.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
f***ing Crawley. It's even more annoying that they will be winning the league ahead of the side that the majority of football fans would like to see back in the football league. Such a shame.

Would they? Majority?

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I can't see them having any problems with expending The Broadfield, it's not AONB is it ? Plenty of space to expand in the area and the cost of land there is a lot lower than Brighton and Hove.

Flavor Flav

Get those trousers off!
Jul 5, 2008
West Sussex

Crawley's wage bill is 12K a week. That's very good for a top conference team. I'd be willing to bet that Luton's is at least double that.

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
I overheard last night that a planning application had gone in to develop the east stand, not sure if thats true, they also said that the East stand was built ready for expansion same as Brighton, again not sure if thats true.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here