Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Crawley v Brighton U21 EFL Trophy

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Tonight our youngsters take on Crawley in the EFL Trophy, interesting to see the team selections by both managers considering the clubs have been drawn against each other in the League Cup.

It's likely to be shown live via some source as it's available on my IFollowTV thingamajig.

Last edited:

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Subscription only then, I presume?
You can get a 1-day NOWTV Sports pass which shows Sky Sports+.... I think... but it is £14.99.

I'd wait to see if it is on the albion youtube channel first.

Last edited:

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
PREVIEW | BRIGHTON & HOVE ALBION U21
Club News

1 hour ago

By Anthony Scott

Crawley Town get their Bristol Street Motors Trophy campaign underway at Broadfield tonight when they entertain Brighton & Hove Albion Under 21s.

After getting their Sky Bet League One season underway with back-to-back wins, Reds attention turns to a competition where they reached the last 16 last year.

Reds lost to eventual winners Peterborough United 2-1 at London Road Stadium, and Scott Lindsey’s side will be looking to continue the winning start to the new campaign.

Last Time Out:

Reds made it two wins from two in League One on Saturday after a hard-fought win away at Cambridge United.

Having rung the changes against Swindon in the Carabao Cup, Lindsey resorted to the same starting line-up that beat Blackpool on the opening day.

Both teams had their fair share of chances – particularly the hosts in the first half – but a combination of stout defending and wasteful finishing kept them at bay.
And Reds took advantage in the second half, growing to control the game before striking with just four minutes to go through substitute Ade Adeyemo – his second goal in as many matches.

The Opposition:

A week before travelling to the AMEX to take on the First Team in the Carabao Cup, Reds must first negotiate a match with Brighton & Hove Albion Under 21s.

The young Seagulls reached the Quarter-Finals of the competition last term before being beaten at Wycombe Wanderers – the furthest an Academy side has ever gone in the competition.

Victories in the group stage over Walsall (3-2) and Forest Green (on penalties) proved enough for the young Seagulls to progress, before they beat MK Dons (4-0) and Reading (on penalties) in the knockout stages.

They kicked off the new Premier League 2 season last week, but fell to a 2-0 defeat at home to West Ham United.

One to Watch:

Midfielder Jamie Mullins will be looking to continue his career development at Albion this season.

The Republic of Ireland youth international arrived in Sussex in January 2023, signed from Bohemians for an undisclosed fee.

He made his debut for the Irish side in July 2021, aged just 16, and became the club’s youngest ever goalscorer in the win over Longford Town. He also featured in the club’s UEFA Conference League tie with Stjarnan in July 2021.

Mullins follows Evan Ferguson in making the move from Bohemians to Brighton, and he will be hoping he can replicate his success in years to come.

Tickets:

Tickets are available to purchase on the night from the club’s Ticket Office. Prices have been reduced for this fixture, and are as follows:

Adults (21+): £13
Concession (60+, Student): £10
Young Adult (17-20): £8
Young Person (14-16): £7
Under 14: Free with paying adult

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
Will be very tough to get anything from tonight and it's a hard group as well,I see Chouchane has gone to Northampton on loan so with no Barrington either I wonder if we may see some of the younger fringe players get a run out tonight,does this competition still allow any overaged players or has it now been scrapped.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Will be very tough to get anything from tonight and it's a hard group as well,I see Chouchane has gone to Northampton on loan so with no Barrington either I wonder if we may see some of the younger fringe players get a run out tonight,does this competition still allow any overaged players or has it now been scrapped.
Each Invited Club must ensure that in each Match: 7.8.1 at least six of the starting eleven players named on the Team Sheet are players who were aged under 21 as at the 30th June in the year in which the Season concerned commenced; and 7.8.2 no more than two players who: (a) are aged 21 or over; and (b) have made 40 or more appearances in a First Team Fixture (either in the starting elven or as a playing substitute) in each case as at the 30th June in the year in which the Season concerned, shall be named on the Team Sheet

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Each Invited Club must ensure that in each Match: 7.8.1 at least six of the starting eleven players named on the Team Sheet are players who were aged under 21 as at the 30th June in the year in which the Season concerned commenced; and 7.8.2 no more than two players who: (a) are aged 21 or over; and (b) have made 40 or more appearances in a First Team Fixture (either in the starting elven or as a playing substitute) in each case as at the 30th June in the year in which the Season concerned, shall be named on the Team Sheet

So we could theoretically stick Mitoma and Welbeck in then! (we won't, of course)

'40 or more appearances in a First Team Fixture' - does that mean our first team, or any other first team? If the former, we could, in theory, give Weiffer and Gruda a run out too! (we won't, of course......although giving one or two [Gruda, Cozier-Duberry, Rutter, perhaps - even though the lst two qualify as U21s anyway, I think] of the newbies who haven't featured for us yet might not be the worst idea in the world)

Albion Robster

Jul 21, 2003
North West
Surely it makes sense for a player like Jenson Weir to play tonight? Could put him in the shop window for a season long loan.
Other fringe 1st Team players like O'Mahoney, Offiah and Samuels would do well to get some competitive game time as well.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
So we could theoretically stick Mitoma and Welbeck in then! (we won't, of course)

'40 or more appearances in a First Team Fixture' - does that mean our first team, or any other first team? If the former, we could, in theory, give Weiffer and Gruda a run out too! (we won't, of course......although giving one or two [Gruda, Cozier-Duberry, Rutter, perhaps - even though the lst two qualify as U21s anyway, I think] of the newbies who haven't featured for us yet might not be the worst idea in the world)
I thought Gilmour and Enciso :lolol:

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I thought Gilmour and Enciso :lolol:
Could do (as well as!) Enciso and Gruda are U21s, so we could include them anyway - just Gilmore and Weiffer as over-age players (and Weiffer hasn't played 40 games for us - or do the first team matches he played for Feyenord count?) It won't happen............

Seriously, I expect our usual well under 21 team!

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Blimey haven't placed them in over 30 years then twice in a week!!

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Blimey haven't placed them in over 30 years then twice in a week!!
I remember seeing the Albion play them in a pre-season friendly a LONG time back - I think their stadium was brand new. All I remember is they must’ve lost 7-8 footballs as our centre-backs absolutely walloped the ball out when under any sort of pressure. They had these high nets preventing the balls going out of the ground but they didn’t stand a chance.

We’ve come such a long way

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Could do (as well as!) Enciso and Gruda are U21s, so we could include them anyway - just Gilmore and Weiffer as over-age players (and Weiffer hasn't played 40 games for us - or do the first team matches he played for Feyenord count?) It won't happen............

Seriously, I expect our usual well under 21 team!
Indeed. You might see the likes of Offiah and O'Mahony, but more likely 16 year old Harry Howell and Freddie Simmonds!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here