Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Crawley sign ANOTHER Striker!

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
They'll be in administration within three years. Ho hum.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Agreed Wookie. It is all a bit patronising as well.

"Oooh, look at the little non league team spending money..."

The problem they've got is that neither palace nor Brighton fans are likely to jump ship. The ground is very small and is owned by the council so prospects are poor. Big concern is when the investors get board or decide that Crawley aren't big enough!

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
Agreed Wookie. It is all a bit patronising as well.

"Oooh, look at the little non league team spending money..."

Its just a bit weird.
There gates are still only 1500 ish, and as others have said they've little room to grow as i cant see numerous P*lace or Brighton fans jumping ship if they get promoted, even more so now we have the new stadium. The attendances in league 2 arent massively different, players will want higher wages, and its hardly as if they'll be on TV every week is it. I just dont understand where the owners are going to make all this money back.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Its just a bit weird.
There gates are still only 1500 ish, and as others have said they've little room to grow as i cant see numerous P*lace or Brighton fans jumping ship if they get promoted, even more so now we have the new stadium. The attendances in league 2 arent massively different, players will want higher wages, and its hardly as if they'll be on TV every week is it. I just dont understand where the owners are going to make all this money back.

How are we going to make £93 million back from our new stadium ?

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Its just a bit weird.

It's a MONEY LAUNDERING scam. Clearly the owners are mafia or terrorists or something.*

*this is almost definitely not true. I made it up so that I could use CAPITALS in a NOTW scoop style.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Owners don't necessarily need or want to make money but it's still hard to see the level of financial committment being sustainable in either the short or long term - whether or not they get promoted.

Of course the (very few) Crawley fans will have fun in the meantime - a bit like Portsmouth, Hull, Leeds etc etc - but you have to think it will end in tears within three to four years. It seems that the world of football and the real world are never destined to meet.

As for Brodie - I would gladly have had him play for us. A good signing.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I don't think they'll go bust. They're more like Rushden & Diamonds.

A little club with not much of a history (well R&D were actually two clubs), and a wealthy backer with lots of money. I genuinely believe Crawley will go up this year or next, spend 5 years bumbling around up there, then get relegated back to the non league set up and we'll never see them again.

Could be fun while it lasts though.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

There is a BIG difference between throwing money around at players, and investing in the long-term future of a football club.

The fact that TB has invested this vast sum of money in the stadium proves that he is definitely here for the long term. 2022 is when he's looking to recoup the stadium outlay by, or convert it into shares.

Crawleys current owners might be throwing lots of money around at the moment to buy a load of players, but if I was a Crawley fan, then I'd be more than a little bit uneasy at the long-term ramifications of what they are doing right now.

How many times do you have to see clubs sifting through the wreckage of foreign ownership, where some guy who suddenly arrives on the scene from nowhere throwing money around and promising the world, only to cop off a few years later leaving a complete shitstorm behind ?

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007

But with a 22k capacity stadium, and a team already consolidated in league 1, theres room to progress to a level where the income of the club will rocket, and added to that the fact Bloom has a long love for the club. I cant see how some rich blokes from the midlands or whatever, who seemingly didnt support Crawley before, can make any money out of them even if they do go up. If they do, they wont go up again, surely.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
All these signings they have made have been paid for upfront - the club is debt free.

Its not so much the transfer fees, its the commitment to salaries over the coming years that can end up being a millstone. Then if they DO need to sell, they'll find it difficult to move players on because other clubs just won't match the wages.

Just looks from the outside like they're embarking on a slippery slope, and putting their complete trust in the current owners continuing to bankroll them for the long term. Which is a dangerous game.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Its not so much the transfer fees, its the commitment to salaries over the coming years that can end up being a millstone. Then if they DO need to sell, they'll find it difficult to move players on because other clubs just won't match the wages.

Just looks from the outside like they're embarking on a slippery slope, and putting their complete trust in the current owners continuing to bankroll them for the long term. Which is a dangerous game.

Apparently they have not broken their existing wage structure

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
Backers are from Hong Kong not the middle east as far as I know? I'm sure there is more to it than meets the eye, maybe they plan on getting a new stadium if they progress up the leagues? Good luck to them.

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
Having seen Brodie, Holdroyd, Fleetwood, Constable, Elding, Morison etc over the years in the Conference they all performed well at that level. Stepping from there to higher leagues is a very different matter & that's where many will fail. For shining examples, Morison [a bargain to boot!], Boyd, Makail-Smith you have so so many failers, so expect Brodie to score plenty of goals [inc penalties] for Crawley, but I suspect that's as far as he goes.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here