Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Crash at airshow shoreham

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
i was WRONG, appears they DONT have engines, I always thought they had a small one for emergencies like this?! obviously not!

Glider Pilot. co.uk

"Flying a glider is probably the closest thing any human will come to feeling like a bird. Powered only by gravity and air currents, these gliders move silently through the sky, often for hours at a time. Because they have no engines, gliders, or sailplanes, can be thought of as pure flying vehicles, staying aloft by balancing the forces of gravity, lift, drag and thrust."

Eggmundo

U & I R listening to KAOS
Jul 8, 2003
The Air Show this year is going really well.
Hope the weather clears up in Bournemouth so they can get a few more off the ground... For those there, have they announced any cancellations yet?

Eggmundo

U & I R listening to KAOS
Jul 8, 2003
i was WRONG, appears they DONT have engines, I always thought they had a small one for emergencies like this?! obviously not!

Glider Pilot. co.uk

"Flying a glider is probably the closest thing any human will come to feeling like a bird. Powered only by gravity and air currents, these gliders move silently through the sky, often for hours at a time. Because they have no engines, gliders, or sailplanes, can be thought of as pure flying vehicles, staying aloft by balancing the forces of gravity, lift, drag and thrust."

The swift Glider team were the last event I saw before leaving yesterday and looked very impressive. Beautifully controlled.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Must admit there are no planes in the air at present here in Shoreham

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Yes there are powered gliders, usually when you are training.

Some even have retractable props.

[yt]GcTeut1wE2o[/yt]

Last edited:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
At present there are no planes flying it would appear.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
remember in the late 60's I think a bi-plane crashing at Shoreham Airshow when it hit a stake trying to burst an anchored balloon with its wingtip as a stunt - stalled and nosedived killing the pilot

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
has it started again yet

Well as I am around 10 minutes from Shoreham Air Show there are no planes in the air so I assume not.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
I can hear a jet engine.....cant see it though!

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Same here, sounds like a Harrier type

tedebear

Legal Alien
NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
We've just come back - the Harrier was just doing some runway burning :lol: and the big boat plane (catalina) went out this morning which is stunning, but nothing else. Its been non stop drizzle which has not stopped too many people going as it is quite busy, but the cloud cover is far to low, even obscuring some of Lancing college at times, so very little air action. They'll get a few more things up in the air now its cleared a little, but not much.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton

Glider Pilot. co.uk

I can definitely recommend this, my work paid for me to do this at the place near Ringmer. Gliders are often stalled deliberately in a stunt known as a stall turn.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here