Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Covid/Holiday 2021 Mumsnet Question #56576574

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
We have flights booked for Florida for July into August, but I'd put the chance of being on them at something like 20/80 right now.

Essentially for most people to be able to holiday, including travelling direct from A to B (ie not "quarantining" in a safe country for 7, 10 or 14 days en route), then you're going to want:

- No need to provide negative test (yes, yes - some can and will do this, but for a typical working family of four, that's quite an expense) on the way out.
- No need to quarantine upon arrival (going for two weeks in the sun doesn't really work if you have to spend 7, 10 or 14 nights in a hotel room first)
- No need to provide negative test on the way back (see above)
- No need to quarantine upon return (many people need to get back to work, or, hopefully kids to school etc)

Yes, there will be people who could easily deal with some of those inconveniences, but plenty couldn't.

This is a reminder for me to book a contingency house or cottage in this country before they all go!

I think the chances of July are a lot better than that

Think we will see a speeding up of opening up now.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London

I'm in Miami at the moment. The place is nuts. You wouldn't even think covid existed apart from people wearing masks (occasionally). Only Americans are here at the moment and the weekends are very busy, hotels are full. Everything is open apart from some nightclubs. (Some clubs are open to tables only) .... A lot of strip clubs are still open !!!! .... The superbowl will have 20 odd thousand in attendance and there is a big line up of parties, slightly worryingly.

The theme parks are empty, went to sea world the other day and just walked on rollercoaster after rollercoaster, with maybe a 10 minute wait max. The parks seem organised enough and they are desperate to get punters back in. Orlando is eerily quiet I had a whole hotel floor to myself at Hilton.

As soon as biden opens things up they will be welcoming Europeans with open arms, especially Florida. Spring/summer looks promising as the vaccine distribution is going well. Americans are the purest form of capitalists and do not like lockdown messing with their businesses.

Oh and no quarantine requirement in Florida that's unlikely to change.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I'm in Miami at the moment. The place is nuts. You wouldn't even think covid existed apart from people wearing masks (occasionally). Only Americans are here at the moment and the weekends are very busy, hotels are full. Everything is open apart from some nightclubs. (Some clubs are open to tables only) .... A lot of strip clubs are still open !!!! .... The superbowl will have 20 odd thousand in attendance and there is a big line up of parties, slightly worryingly.

The theme parks are empty, went to sea world the other day and just walked on rollercoaster after rollercoaster, with maybe a 10 minute wait max. The parks seem organised enough and they are desperate to get punters back in. Orlando is eerily quiet I had a whole hotel floor to myself at Hilton.

As soon as biden opens things up they will be welcoming Europeans with open arms, especially Florida. Spring/summer looks promising as the vaccine distribution is going well. Americans are the purest form of capitalists and do not like lockdown messing with their businesses.

Good to get another view on it over there, my cousin works for Universal over there and he says he’s clubbing most weekends.

If you look at the Dem states they are starting to say and actually open up - NY/Cali/Chicago have all started to in the past 2 weeks.

I think the magic cut of is 100 million vaccines for them, once they hit that we will see the next level of opening up.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
IOW will be sorted come July.

It will be bouncing like Magaluf this year.

Keep the faith, stay green and buy British.

Winners all round.:rave:

See you in the Crab Inn :thumbsup:

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Is it? US news report I saw (a day or two ago) said it was chaotic, due to there being no national health register.
That's a Floridacentric view where it's going so well they have tourists from South America coming for it. I'm actually convinced I could turn up and get it. I think the numbers are chugging along quite nicely. But I havent looked really closely. I know I can turn up to numerous testing centres in Miami and get a FREE test (which is fairly miraculous for the states)

Yank news is a hell of a lot more upbeat than the UK counterparts so maybe I'm just buying into it.

Sent from my SM-G977N using Tapatalk

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
I think you’re looking at closer to q4 before things are back to ‘normal’ that you can travel - the California variation is now joining the British/Kent, South African and Brazilian version started there will be more to come (most countries have only started looking for new variations). My employer >25,000 people globally doesn’t expect people back at work until August (except where services on clients sites) at earliest and flying needs CEO level approval, so we’re looking at doing staycation2 (working out where we haven’t gone in UK and not a city), maybe France is summer (on tunnel so saying in the car) and then possibly some sun in November.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Oversea holidays the opportunity to bring back a new covid variant as a souvenir.

I'm going nowhere, getting to see a game of cricket at Hove would be a start.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
Is it? US news report I saw (a day or two ago) said it was chaotic, due to there being no national health register.
On the other hand, if I visit when I have been vacccinated it becomes less relevant whether the americans know which of their people have been vaccinated - as long as a lot of them have.

I've got Aer Lingus flights to Milwaukee (Chicago actually, going on by train) and AirBnB self catering booked, flights more or less infinitely transferrable and accommodation cancellable. That's for September, when hopefully cases will be very few. But I've also sold my Jet2 shares (no idea why they are rocketing upwards) and booked three self-catering weeks at home, so that's my entire holiday period booked up already - all being well!

UK self catering might become hard to find. Book early, by credit card so you have an extra get-out if it's not doable.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester

I agree. There's a bit too much pessimism on here. We're doing 4-500K vaccinations a day; at this rate every adult in the country that wants it will have had 2 doses by the end of June.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
I think you’re looking at closer to q4 before things are back to ‘normal’ that you can travel - the California variation is now joining the British/Kent, South African and Brazilian version started there will be more to come (most countries have only started looking for new variations). My employer >25,000 people globally doesn’t expect people back at work until August (except where services on clients sites) at earliest and flying needs CEO level approval, so we’re looking at doing staycation2 (working out where we haven’t gone in UK and not a city), maybe France is summer (on tunnel so saying in the car) and then possibly some sun in November.
California variation ? That's the Kent one I think. Be interesting to see if it hits hard. They found cases over a month ago and it's yet to really blow up. US numbers are on a steep decline.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

What do you mean by "opening up" though?

I think it's going to be a real patchwork of different measures for different places, possibly changing at short notice too.

The UK "opening up", ie essentially saying "you can hop on a plane and go on holiday" is not much good if, for example:

- the place you want to go to will not permit non-nationals to travel directly there
- you can travel to your destination but need to spend 14 days isolated before you can start your holiday proper
- you need to spend £100+ per person for a test in each direction and money is tight for your family of four
- you would need to quarantine upon return, you can't work from home and you can't have any more time off work

We're relatively lucky in that we could stump up the cash for tests if needed, and we could quarantine upon return - I work from home, and we have booked dates such that the rest of the family have sufficient time before return to work/school - but a lot of people may not be so fortunate.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I agree. There's a bit too much pessimism on here. We're doing 4-500K vaccinations a day; at this rate every adult in the country that wants it will have had 2 doses by the end of June.

As above - it's not just about what happens here. In fact, that's almost nothing to do with it.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton

Slightly OT but what sort of crowd will be allowed for the Super B?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I'm planning to take a walk through as many of Swedens 299 towns as possible this summer.Travelling abroad will probably not be an option for those of us too young (and in my case, not interested) to be vaccinated at that point.

Borås_Pinocchio_Jim_Dine.jpg

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
As above - it's not just about what happens here. In fact, that's almost nothing to do with it.

Why not? I'd have thought that countries that rely on tourism will want to welcome visitors from a country where 80-90% of the adult population have been fully vaccinated.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Slightly OT but what sort of crowd will be allowed for the Super B?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
25k with a lot of health workers who have already been vaccinated given free tickets

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/information/incident/coronavirus/latest-information

When does the voucher expire?

The voucher expires on 30 April 2023.

Your voucher can be used as payment, or part payment, for a new future booking. Your new trip booked using your voucher must be fully completed by 30 April 2023 (departure and return).

If you have an existing voucher with an expiry date prior to 30 April 2023, please note that your voucher will automatically be extended to 30 April 2023. Customers will be notified with new voucher details as soon as possible.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here