Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Covers better than the Original?

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
This is quite a controversial one, but I reckon the puff daddy version of missing you was better than the police.

*awaits flaming*

Hate to tell you but the original by the Police was 'Every Breathe you Take' which was sampled. Not the same song as such.

Woodstock done by Mathews Southern Comfort is rather better than the Joni Mitchell original which was better than the Crosby, Stills and Nash cover.

Ry Cooder's Little Sister was better than Elvis'.

Cocaine by ZZ Top and Lynyrd Skynrd, both versions more melodic than the JJ Cale original.

Oh yes, Green Day and U2's remake of The Skids 'The Saints are Coming'.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Ry Cooders -------------- He`ll have to go.

Better than Jim Reeves and a million miles better than Brian Ferry`s sad effort.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Walk On By - The Stranglers

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Walk On By - The Stranglers

is the correct answer, the extended version on the White disc with Black & White is the best version, its about 7 minutes long with 2 vertuosa performances particularly by Dave Greeenfield on the keyboards and also Hugh Cornwell on the guitar with JJ's thuming bass in the background and Jet's rythmic balance, the musicianship displayed on this piece put them in a different county to other " punk/new wave " outfits.

For everyone under 30 who has not heard it, listen to it NOW.

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
my fave cover versions over the originals that i've heard

Can't Stand Losing You - Feeder
Power Of Love - Feeder
I Fought The Law - Clash
American Woman - Lenny Krazits
Big Yellow Taxi - Amy Grant
Blue Suede Shoes - Elvis Presley (yes he actually covered it,Carls Perkin Originally)
Cats In The Cradle - Ugly Kid Joe
Feeling Good - Muse
Fields Of Gold - Eva Cassidy
The First Cut Is The Deepest - Rod Stewart
Freak Like Me - Sugarbabes
Hallelujah -Jeff Buckley
Hounds Of Love - Futureheads
Hurt - Johnny Cash
I'm A Believer - Monkees
Knockin' On Heavens Door - Guns & Roses
The Man Who Sold The World - Nirvana
Walk This Way -Run DMC and Aerosmith (rather then just Aerosmith)

This Mortal Coil: Song to the Siren

Agreed. The original has something special about it though, of course.
TMC also cover Gene Clarke's 'Strength of Strings' and Alex Chilton (Big Star) 'Kangaroo' on the same album, plus from around that same period the Modern English's '16 Days' with 'Gathering Dust'. The latter versions I don't think they made count, but the others were pretty decent.

I just borrowed a CD of Yoko Ono's 'music', collaborated on with several other bands (I Am The Witch).
Much as I cannot relate to anything of Ono's up to now, I had to admit that this is fairly passable as a project that includes her. I have a sneaking feeling though, that the artists and production backing her on this CD, would make my Gran sound alright (and she died years ago).

Woodstock done by Mathews Southern Comfort is rather better than the Joni Mitchell original which was better than the Crosby, Stills and Nash cover.

Ry Cooder's Little Sister was better than Elvis'.

I don't know how many people would know about Iain Matthews on here - but his vocals being so pure and able, he has covered a lot of other pieces well.
His version of The Youngbloods 'Darkness Darkness' is just ...beyond. On the same LP he does a great version of the much-covered 'Brown Eyed Girl'. On another he does an excellent 'Mercy Street' (previously Peter Gabriel, and already hard to better). Biloxi (Jesse Winchester) Dirty Work (Steely Dan) Ol' 55 (Tom Waits) I Don't Wanna Talk About It (Crazy Horse's Danny Whitten) - all benefitted from IM's dulcet tones.
He did a whole album of Jules Shear songs too.

Bangles covered Jules Shear 'If She Knew What She Wants', and Jules Shear covered The Walker Brothers 'Sun Ain't Gonna Shine Any More' (already a fabulous tune) rather well.

As for Elvis - he was a total cover artist himself, and apart from his renowned versions of Willie Nelson tunes, he even began his recording career with a nice upbeat version of Arthur C ('Big Boy') Crudup's 'That's Alright Mama'. Elvis championed the songwriting talents of many an American negro bluesman, and brought to light several great tunes that otherwise sank into crackley 78rpm obscurity! Tutti Frutti and Blue Suede Shoes? Awesome, for the time.
Little Richard may have lamented that he was the true 'King', and that white mass audiences cold-shouldered him in favour of Elvis, and he may have a point. However, such treatments as Elvis lent to his and other writers' songs did not do them much harm!

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
The Damned's version of 'Help'
Stiff Little Fingers's version of 'Johnny Was'
The Specials version of 'Guns of Navarone'
Motorhead's version of 'Motorhead'
The Clash's versions of 'Police & Thieves','Armagideon Time'.'Wrong'Em Boyo ' & 'Revolution Rock'
Siouxsie & the Banshees's version of 'This Wheels on Fire'

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here