Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Cover versions that should never have seen the light of day

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I haven't read the entire thread but surely this applies to pretty much every cover version? If the original is good then it doesn't need covering and if the song is shit it definitely doesn't need covering.

boik

I haven't read the entire thread but surely this applies to pretty much every cover version? If the original is good then it doesn't need covering and if the song is shit it definitely doesn't need covering.

So you don't think there any any good song writers who aren't brilliant performers? I give you one Mr Robert Zimmerman as exhibit A.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

By that criterion, no-one should ever revive any plays or remake any films.

And even by sticking to music, there are people whose entire careers have been based on cover versions - look at Frank SInatra. My Way is a stone cold classic song. Do you really think that Sinatra shouldn't have sung it because it didn't need covering?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

And even by sticking to music, there are people whose entire careers have been based on cover versions - look at Frank SInatra. My Way is a stone cold classic song. Do you really think that Sinatra shouldn't have sung it because it didn't need covering?

In principal I agree but My Way by Sinatra isn’t a great example. The translated from French version with completely different lyrics was actually written by Paul Anka specifically for Frank Sinatra

https://www.express.co.uk/expressyourself/91687/My-way-The-story-behind-the-song

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
In principal I agree but My Way by Sinatra isn’t a great example. The translated from French version with completely different lyrics was actually written by Paul Anka specifically for Frank Sinatra

https://www.express.co.uk/expressyourself/91687/My-way-The-story-behind-the-song

Fair enough, I knew the English version was by Paul Anka but I didn't know he'd written it for Sinatra,

But, as you say, the principle is there: you could say the same about Fly me to the Moon (that wasn't written for him) or any other of his songs. What is generally recognised as his best album, Songs for Swinging Lovers, is entirely made up of cover versions.

And it's not just Sinatra, you could say the same about other singers: Ella Fitzgerald, for example. Her work was mainly all cover versions.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Fair enough, I knew the English version was by Paul Anka but I didn't know he'd written it for Sinatra,

But, as you say, the principle is there: you could say the same about Fly me to the Moon (that wasn't written for him) or any other of his songs. What is generally recognised as his best album, Songs for Swinging Lovers, is entirely made up of cover versions.

And it's not just Sinatra, you could say the same about other singers: Ella Fitzgerald, for example. Her work was mainly all cover versions.

My favourite Sinatra album and arranged by Nelson Riddle :thumbsup:

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley

Sinatra is about the only singer I can't stand so you're not helping your case in my eyes. Admittedly Cara Dillon does a lot of covers and I love her but they're traditional folk songs.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Sinatra is about the only singer I can't stand so you're not helping your case in my eyes. Admittedly Cara Dillon does a lot of covers and I love her but they're traditional folk songs.

Sinatra and Dylan have the best delivery of the lyrics of any 20th century singers imo :shrug:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I can't contribute to this thread anymore. Depressing. No doubt some ***t will paste a few more of my picks from the 'covers that smash the original' thread on here though. How I laughed. :facepalm::wanker:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here