Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Coventry v. Crawley

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
this looks like being a league fixture next season,how things change quickly in football

coventry spent 34 consectutive seasons in the top flight,while crawley were playing in the southern league

while coventry were winning the FA Cup in 1987,crawley were busy winning the sussex senior cup

coventry moved into their new 32,000 satdium in 2005,while crawley moved across town to the broadfield stadium,capacity 5,000

frankly,if they played each other tomorrow,crawley would probably win!

what other "bigger" clubs could this happen to,forest maybe? it's a shame to see clubs like plymouth & bradford,literally fighting for their league status,bradford were in the premiership not so long ago

and what other "non-league" clubs do you think will emerge in the next 5-10 years,eastbourne?

mistahclarke

Jul 28, 2009
MK Dons vs AFC Wimbledon,

Unlikely next season, but evidence of the shift in football.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
On the same theme, I wonder how Luton fans feel about their smaller neighbours Stevenage being two divsions above them?

Superseagull

Jul 8, 2003
There are more and more big modern stadiums dropping down into league 1 and 2. Ironically for Crawley their progress could be limited by the size of the Broadfield. Even with the extra seats going in it will be a small stadium, so revenue will be limited. Any idea what the longer term plan is for the clubs stadium. New location, or maybe even a groundshare with Palarse at Gatwick!

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I found it amazing that when Luton played AFC Wimbledon as a non-League fixture, the attendance was higher than when the fixture was a top flight clash!

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I found it amazing that when Luton played AFC Wimbledon as a non-League fixture, the attendance was higher than when the fixture was a top flight clash!

Indeed tho that was at a time when attendances generally were at an all time low.

Elvis

Mar 22, 2010
Viva Las Hove
I hear the Coventry director of football and board member watched Saturdays game from the bench sitting next to Andy Thorn. I fear his days are doomed! if he stays in charge Cov will go down, their best chance is a change in manager! With Crawleys win on Saturday this will defo be a fixture next year IMO.

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
On the same theme, I wonder how Luton fans feel about their smaller neighbours Stevenage being two divsions above them?

That must hurt!!!

I grew up with Luton in the top two divisions and winning the League Cup in 1988. They were only relegated from the top flight in the early 90s. Stevenage two divisions higher WTF?!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I hear the Coventry director of football and board member watched Saturdays game from the bench sitting next to Andy Thorn. I fear his days are doomed! if he stays in charge Cov will go down, their best chance is a change in manager!.

This seems to sum up his position but expect one of the usual run of the mill failures to apply for the job when it becomes vacant.

With their apparent lack of willingness to spend money I would expect them to appoint somebody like Kevin Blackwell.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
That must hurt!!!

I grew up with Luton in the top two divisions and winning the League Cup in 1988. They were only relegated from the top flight in the early 90s. Stevenage two divisions higher WTF?!

incredible really,imagine crawley 2 divisions higher than us!

Kenhead

Oct 1, 2003
Brighton
How about Southampton v Dagenham last season? Their must have been quite a gap in divsion's 5 years ago.

Poyetry In Motion

Pooetry Motions
Feb 26, 2009
6.61 miles from the Amex
If Plymouth are relegated this year and Truro somehow manage to get promoted, they'll play each other in the Conference next season
In 20005/06 Plymouth were in the Championship whilst Truro were runners up in the South Western League, (some 11 divisions difference I think! )

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
How about Southampton v Dagenham last season? Their must have been quite a gap in divsion's 5 years ago.

yeah,charlton too,bet they never imagined they would ever play dagenham in a league game

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
yeah,charlton too,bet they never imagined they would ever play dagenham in a league game

I never thought that we would play Dagenham in a league game. Sadly they look as if they are going back out of the league again this season. Must be a Vincelot thing.

Pinkie Brown

Wir Sind das Volk
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR 🇩🇪
If somebody had said to me five years ago, Crawley would play Accrington Stanley in a League game, I would have thought them to be on drugs! It wasn't so many years ago, Manchester Citys local derby was against.....Macclesfield!

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
If somebody had said to me five years ago, Crawley would play Accrington Stanley in a League game, I would have thought them to be on drugs! It wasn't so many years ago, Manchester Citys local derby was against.....Macclesfield!

On a pedantic note, think it may have been Stockport. Macclesfield have not been above League two, as far as I know.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
If Plymouth are relegated this year and Truro somehow manage to get promoted, they'll play each other in the Conference next season
In 20005/06 Plymouth were in the Championship whilst Truro were runners up in the South Western League, (some 11 divisions difference I think! )

I *think* the Truro City story is starting to go a bit tits up, as the rich guy who bankrolls them was trying to buy Plymouth recently, & there were supposedly question marks raised over his finances. He's got them up a few leagues, they have players like Barry Hayles in their side, but I think they're stalling a bit this season.

Shame, an away trip to Cornwall would indeed be good times.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here