Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Coventry sort of going into administration

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
So recently they've been earning NOTHING?
I'm losing my mind. I thought I read that 12,000 figure elsewhere, but I think I just read it from ali :facepalm:

CCFC need to attract 12000 every home game to afford the rent, everything else above and beyond that is theirs.
I've read something similar before, but I don't know if it was the same figure.

Oct 16, 2008
Seems as though the Ricoh arena owners should do a deal to cut the rent so that CCFC can stay there. Otherwise they will end up with nothing.

The arena owners (which is a 50:50 thing between the local council and a charitable trust) have tried pretty hard to renegotiate with Sisu (the hedge fund that own the club) ... including a significant cut in the actual amount and the opportunity to have a cut of matchday revenue which was previously denied them ... but Sisu haven't been willing to play ball as far as I can tell through the legal/accounting complexities

seagully

Cock-knobs!
Jun 30, 2006
Battle
Yes, they basically earn nothing as all rent goes to ACL. Unpaid rent has no doubt been used to pay staff/players et al. Allegedly, they owe £1.5m.

The problem when you don't own your own ground.

A big problem in my opinion is that they have a very strong hardcore support of 6000-7000 fans but a very high number of 'floating fans' who won't go and watch the club while they are in League One. Some of my Cov supporting friends have become so disillusioned that they don't bother going despite having a season ticket. If run correctly, the potential of the club is huge, it's sad to see them in the current situation.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
The Ricoh was a ball ache to get to as well. Although recently had permission for a station at ground. Useful now.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Seems like they're just strengthening their bargaining position.

As army ali says, the Richo will just be mothballed if CCFC move away so they are realistically the owners only source of rent. If they won't lower the rent to reflect the current income then CCFC just say "alright lads, we'll just f**k off until you do".

:

So you're in favour of yet another football club reneging on an agreement and shafting a creditor? How is that different from Pompey sticking two fingers up to the St. John's ambulance?

seagully

Cock-knobs!
Jun 30, 2006
Battle
The Ricoh was a ball ache to get to as well. Although recently had permission for a station at ground. Useful now.

IMO they should have secured the station before moving to the Ricoh as you're right, it's a pain to get to from the city centre.

So you're in favour of yet another football club reneging on an agreement and shafting a creditor? How is that different from Pompey sticking two fingers up to the St. John's ambulance?

A bit different from the Pompey saga where the majority of their debt was caused by overspending on players and contracts. This was of their own volition and demise.

CCFC were pretty much forced out of Highfield Road (a great are for renovation and re-development of the City centre) and went into the agreement with the council, but since then, the deal, owners, contracts have changed.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
A bit different from the Pompey saga where the majority of their debt was caused by overspending on players and contracts. This was of their own volition and demise.

CCFC were pretty much forced out of Highfield Road (a great are for renovation and re-development of the City centre) and went into the agreement with the council, but since then, the deal, owners, contracts have changed.
Thanks for the clarification.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
This is such a shame. Cov were a big club, I hope they can resolve the ground rent issue.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath

I'm not in favour of it, but IMHO the morality of shafting a bank or corporate entity that gambled on loaning multiple millions to another company in the hope of a higher return in the form of interest, is very different from shafting a company that is getting paid for providing a service.

Obviously I don't know all the facts and it is far from black and white, as discussions on morality usually are, but that is just the way I see it. The alternative is that they all just give up and then everyone loses their money.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Coventry also gave us a shirt that, at the time, I thought was amazing. Looked at through more grown-up eyes, it looks terrible:

article-0-00085A1000000258-252_468x355.jpg

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
IMO they should have secured the station before moving to the Ricoh as you're right, it's a pain to get to from the city centre.

The kind of did I think but ran out of cash. Yet ended up paying more renting highfield road than sold it for due to the Ricoh site being contaminated land and taking a long time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here