Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Coventry city fc suing Coventry fans site

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
Bunch of c***s.

This sort of thing is happening more and more often these days, and with libel, you the libeler have to prove that what you said was true. Reckon they'll sort it out of court, though.

How many times has NSC been 'off-air' cos of potential libel? A few.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
The person suing has to prove you have changed the opinion of the him in the eye of a sane person.

Which would probably make a good defence should anyone ever try and sue NSC !

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
e77 said:
The person suing has to prove you have changed the opinion of the him in the eye of a sane person.

Which would probably make a good defence should anyone ever try and sue NSC !
Burden of proof is always on the defendent, so the website would have to prove that, for example, Mr X really was "a corrupt philandering bastard". And that's tough!

brighton rock said:
could this happen to nsc

letter
If Bellotti was still in charge, it would probably be a weekly occurrence.

And it wouldn't be single words that caused offence.

These days, the Albion seem to acknowledge that they need the fans.

Have Coventry City gone MAD?

Virgo's Haircut

Resident Train Guru
Jul 5, 2003
On a train...
This country is getting too much like the US these days. It seems like you'll get taken to court and sued at any opportunity.

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
e77 said:

Not quite. The definition of a libel is a statement that "tends to lower the claimant in the estimation of right-thinking members of society generally".

So if I called Lord Bracknell a badger-baiter, for example, everyone on here would probably think it was just a bit of banter and wouldn't take it seriously. But accusing him of baiting badgers in any other arena (like a newspaper for example) would be likely to lower his reputation. It doesn't matter whether it does or not.

So he could sue my ass if he wanted.

However, because libel actions are very, very expensive for both parties and recent legal history has not shown costs being awarded to the loser, I suspect this tactic by Coventry City will not actually end up in the courts.

attila

1997 Club
Jul 17, 2003
South Central Southwick
It DID happen to Gull's Eye in 1990! I'm sure some of you remember..We had to have a big fund raising campaighn to pay the legal costs and Harty and pete K had to print an aopology in the programme....humourous comment, not taken that way
plaintiff was club director...Campbell I think...god, bloody luxury, the days when we only had the odd libel suit to worry about!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
In fairness to all didn't John Campbell accept just a written published apology he didnt press for compensation. I thought that other Directors were involved with it as well not only him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here