Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Coventry Chairman Sues Fan

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
This was posted on BHAFC.net, I thought I'd copy it here. It might be a case if you scratch our back, we'll scratch yours?

Originally posted by DanDonovan on 22/11 at 22:20
Hi all

I'm Dan Donovan, a Coventry fan. You might have heard that our Chairman is suing a fanzine editor after somebody posted on the rivals message board to make a 'libellous' comment. He now intends to take the guy to court - a married man, with two kids a month before Christmas.

To help with his huge legal fees, fans of Cov (and others) are donating to help via paypal. Obviously if you'd consider this it would be extremely beneficial.

I'm writing an article on the generous fans from other clubs who have donated to the legal funds of GMK - along with their views on this situation. Would any of you (especially donators) mind emailing me at skybluecoach@hotmail.com so I could get your views on the problem, and why you donated?

This story will receive national press over the coming days - keep your eyes out. If you help, we'd love to acknowledge your support.

Thanks

Dan

Link: http://boards.rivals.net/default.asp?sid=951&p=16&style=1&forumId=3122&action=1&replytoid=535945342

Ex Shelton Seagull

Jul 7, 2003
Block G, Row F, Seat 175
What a turd. Legal action is always the last refuge of a failing chairman. Sheffield Wednesday chairman tried to sue some supporters and had them banned. The internet was still in its infancy at the time of A&B (NSC was just a guestbook really) but if it had been at its current level then those two scumbags would have had no hesitation in following the City chairmans actions.

If Dick Knight was the same as this character then I doubt if NSC would still be here. Some of the posts and accusations that are starting to fly around on the "Dick Knight betting scam" thread are sailing close to the wind.

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
Libel actions are also used often as an empty threat. Remember Bellotti when he tried to sue Roy Chuter? And, for that matter, Andy Naylor and the publishers of that fanzine?

They are MASSIVELY expensive actions to take as well as to defend, there's no legal aid (so you are always saddled with costs) and a libel jury hasn't awarded a significant payout in AGES... so it's very unlikely anyone suing an ordinary bloke from Coventry would profit.

I'll wait until the writ, rather than a solicitors' letter, arrives on his doormat if you don't mind.

Ex Shelton Seagull

Jul 7, 2003
Block G, Row F, Seat 175
The way Roy Chuter dealt with that legal action threat was fantastic. Reading about it in "Build a Bonfire" he just seems to treat the whole thing as a joke. The way he sent the letter back to the solicitors with all the spelling and grammer mistakes pointed out, along with a very sarcastic cover letter, was brilliant.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
It'd be nice if the fella asking for money at least said "please".

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
How on earth does WC Fields get to be Coventry chairman?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here