Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Coventry away,M1 or M40?

northstandnorth

THE GOLDSTONE
Oct 13, 2003
A272 at 85 mph
First time visit to Coventry this Saturday and wondering which option suits me best from West Sussex.
Up the A24 past Heathrow and off at the M40 or keep on till the M1.
Anyone used both and willing to suggest the best way?

Laughing Gravy

I'm a ****
Jan 8, 2010
In my bungalow
First time visit to Coventry this Saturday and wondering which option suits me best from West Sussex.
Up the A24 past Heathrow and off at the M40 or keep on till the M1.
Anyone used both and willing to suggest the best way?

Do yourself a favour and stay on the M40. One of the best motorways. I go up and down both all the time and the M1 is grim

oldalbiongirl

Jun 25, 2011
They are very similar time wise if traffic light but m1 often gets some sort of traffic chaos so best to stick to 40

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Much prefer the M40 but the ground is just off the M6 and therefore looks a lot quicker via the M1 route... Anyone know how slow the final part is if you come in from the M40 side on the A roads?

Lurker

62 years and counting ...
Mar 8, 2010
West Midlands
I live near Cov and my mum still lives in Brighton so I do the journey probably 20 times a year or more .... and I always go M40.
It's a no-brainer, particularly right now with the 50mph limit on the M1 from Luton to Milton Keynes.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I live near Cov and my mum still lives in Brighton so I do the journey probably 20 times a year or more .... and I always go M40.
It's a no-brainer, particularly right now with the 50mph limit on the M1 from Luton to Milton Keynes.

Ok, where is best to come off the m40, and where are YOU going to park?

Last edited:

Lurker

Mar 8, 2010
West Midlands
Much prefer the M40 but the ground is just off the M6 and therefore looks a lot quicker via the M1 route... Anyone know how slow the final part is if you come in from the M40 side on the A roads?

Depends on the traffic of course, but easy enough to circumnavigate Coventry from the M40.
J15 M40 take A46 to Cov ... dual carriageway the whole way.
Turn off A46 onto A45 towards London (as opposed to Birmingham which is the opposite way), travel appx 1 mile or so ... dual carriageway the whole way.
At roundabout take A46 turn towards Leicester ... dual carriageway the whole way.
After 2 roundabouts take turning towards M6, join M6 towards Birmingham ... travel 1 junction, turn off the M6, take dual carriageway towards Cov ...... Ricoh is right in front of you at 1st Roundabout.

Info provided FOC ... I thank you.

Incidentally, parking is impossible. Worst than the Amex.
They have a parking exclusion zone of several miles all around the Ricoh, permit holders only allowed.
Good luck.
:albion2:

Lurker

Mar 8, 2010
West Midlands
Ok, where is best to come off the m40, and where are YOU going to park?

Sorry, already posted previous one before I read this.

My brother-in-law is a STH at the Ricoh ... poor sod ... and his wife always drops him at the ground and comes back later to pick him up, and I shall be cadging a lift with him, so not much help to you I'm afraid?
Mind you, if we don't win, I might decline the lift home.

If you can get there early enough, take a right turn at the ricoh roundabout (assuming you're coming from the M6 direction). Travel up that road (don't turn left at the filter lights and go under the railway arch), to the first set of lights ... turn right at those lights, travel appx 30 metres, and on your right hand side is a bit of waste ground entered through a gate which they use as a park and walk site. It isn't very big, so fills up quite early, but it's very convenient for the ground which is about a 3 minute walk.
I haven't used it for years, but it used to cost £5 or £6 to park there.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Depends on the traffic of course, but easy enough to circumnavigate Coventry from the M40.
Turn off A46 onto A45 towards London (as opposed to Birmingham which is the opposite way), travel appx 1 mile or so ... dual carriageway the whole way.
At roundabout take A46 turn towards Leicester ... dual carriageway the whole way.
After 2 roundabouts take turning towards M6, join M6 towards Birmingham ... travel 1 junction, turn off the M6, take dual carriageway towards Cov ...... Ricoh is right in front of you at 1st Roundabout.

They have a parking exclusion zone of several miles all around the Ricoh, permit holders only allowed.
Good luck.

Great. Thanks.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

Very quick-our offices are in Coventry and it doesn't take long to reach the Ricoh from the M40.

bubbleshorse

Jan 30, 2006

Good luck.

Parking is actually quite easy if you take the above route.
Rather than go to the chaos at the stadium take the B4113 (See map on link)
Added bonus of Away fans pubs,

" ricohparking.co.uk "

All details on link or phone me

Keith

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here